• ...and so much more!
  • KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Some of you lnow from my prior postings that I have had a bunch of surgeries i.e. total shoulder replacement, cervical fusions, lower back X 18,etc.
    My left arm was having the pins and needles, tingling and pain crop up over the last 6 months. Told my neurosurgeon at Goodman Campbell brain & spine around August time frame. My doc ordered MRI, x-rays and EMGs. Fast forward to my appointment on my barfday, the 12th. Found out somehow that my fusion of C2 - C3, C3 - C4, C4 - C5 looked excellent. Textbook... but was told the C7 crushed and C8 was deteriorated. I was shown the before surgery and post surgery xrays. Apparently my job is very hard on my body. I'm a millwright.
    I got injections today in the C7 area by an accomplished doctor at GCB&S. He was stellar but I'm afraid all I am doing is postponing the inevitable surgery. I also have an ulnar nerve damaged in my elbow and will be seeing another topnotch orthopedic surgeon with GCB&S on the 30th. It's like if I don't have a major surgery every 2 years, it's because I am dead. Ha!

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    My heart goes out to you brother. I tried a millwright job in 09, paid $3 more, I was gonna cut a wide swath. Lasted less than 2 months was more than willing to take a pay cut and go back to my original employer. you guys earn money the hard way.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Best wishes and prayers sent.

Man I am sorry to hear this my brother.
    Is this due to some genetic defect or have you just worked yourself to near death.

The millwright profession is a tough one, just about everyone I met that had been in it for more than a few years had back or other problems.

Good luck Dave. You load 16 tons, whatya get?

Sounds like another day older and another surgery or two.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Best wishes. Hopefully you will find a point where it settles out such that you can have some peace and comfort.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Some of you lnow from my prior postings that I have had a bunch of surgeries i.e. total shoulder replacement, cervical fusions, lower back X 18,etc.
    My left arm was having the pins and needles, tingling and pain crop up over the last 6 months. Told my neurosurgeon at Goodman Campbell brain & spine around August time frame. My doc ordered MRI, x-rays and EMGs. Fast forward to my appointment on my barfday, the 12th. Found out somehow that my fusion of C2 - C3, C3 - C4, C4 - C5 looked excellent. Textbook... but was told the C7 crushed and C8 was deteriorated. I was shown the before surgery and post surgery xrays. Apparently my job is very hard on my body. I'm a millwright.
    I got injections today in the C7 area by an accomplished doctor at GCB&S. He was stellar but I'm afraid all I am doing is postponing the inevitable surgery. I also have an ulnar nerve damaged in my elbow and will be seeing another topnotch orthopedic surgeon with GCB&S on the 30th. It's like if I don't have a major surgery every 2 years, it's because I am dead. Ha!
    My wife had neck surgery with Goodman Campbell. Still had issues and the Doc recommended a spinal cord stimulator. Before that, she got a second opinion from OrthoIndy. Dr. Jackson found she needed plates and pins below the original fix. During the surgery, found the first didn’t fuse, so she got a double. It didn’t take so then surgery #3 through the back of the neck with more plates, pins and screws. She was miserable and hates the effects of the meds. She was told once one spot was fixed, other issues would develop over time. Biggest thing for her was to find a doc she was confident with and could trust.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not as far down the path as you KD but I know how you feel. I made it 36 years with no broken bones, major maladies or surgeries (other than getting stitches). In the 10 years after that I had both bicep tendons repaired, two shoulder surgeries and I'm going in for shoulder replacement very soon. I'd love to think I can just be careful and avoid any more injuries but I can already feel my right shoulder starting to act up.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    As a fellow Millwright I understand the what the job does to your body.
    I myself have 3 Lumbar, 2 Thoracic, 2 Cervical.
    Not sure of the next move, but I don't think I will retire doing this job.
    Good luck and maybe it's time to make a move. All the old timers warned me when I started

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have 31 years as a millwright for General Motors. I got injured in Coronado in '83 while in the USN during a training op. Apparently gunner's mates were not predisposed to be flying monkeys. Who knew? I move lots of equipment and we try to use forklifts and righing equipment to the best of our ability but in the end when are setting up a row of robotic machinery that has to be within thousandths of an inch, leveled with precision ground levels and laser using pinch bars / Johnson bars and grunt work...well, it just is going to make anybody FUBAR. We have constantly changing layouts as we wear out old equipment and change out to the faster Koh Young machines which are 4,000 lbs plus. Just think, this is not heavy compared to most of my old plant that we tore out. Down to bare bones for dealer service work. I hope in the future we gzin more electronic assembly for the new electric cars GM is introducing or I am out of a job.
    Hell, I volunteered for the National Guard Reserve and they turned me down as I would be too much of a liability medically. That sucks when they tell you that you are too fooked up to join. They liked all my creds til they saw the V.A. was shelling out cash to me due to being a mess. Thanks but no thanks old dude.

Top Bottom