• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While I appreciate the Smile campaign, I say if you want to effectively support a group, donate! Write them a check for $25! Otherwise if you use smile, you gotta spend FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS at amazon to get the same impact!

Why Amazon Is Smiling and Charities May Be Losing*|*Brady Josephson

I dont think smile is all bad, but if you want to donate to support a cause, you will get more mileage out of a direct donation. So do both!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The more I read about the spats between Appleseed and Revere's, the less I feel like I want to mess with either one.

I gotta say, this sort of internet "noise" as you call it, really can do nothing but detract from both. You've got tens of thousands of people watching your moves here, that you've never met, shot with, or had a beer with,...

...but who are trying to figure out----for the life of them----who all these Horse-loving/Fruit-eater types are, and if they are going to show longevity and real training for the fight.

I'm one.

I want you to know what it looks like, because I think there are some really great ideas behind both groups, and I'm sure some excellent people, but as with any group of like-minded individual, it's hard to see how you are perceived from the outside your circle...and the outside is what you're gonna have to bring INside to survive and flourish.

But I'm just a dumb shooter.

-Nate

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The more I read about the spats between Appleseed and Revere's, the less I feel like I want to mess with either one.

I gotta say, this sort of internet "noise" as you call it, really can do nothing but detract from both. You've got tens of thousands of people watching your moves here, that you've never met, shot with, or had a beer with,...

...but who are trying to figure out----for the life of them----who all these Horse-loving/Fruit-eater types are, and if they are going to show longevity and real training for the fight.

I'm one.

I want you to know what it looks like, because I think there are some really great ideas behind both groups, and I'm sure some excellent people, but as with any group of like-minded individual, it's hard to see how you are perceived from the outside your circle...and the outside is what you're gonna have to bring INside to survive and flourish.

But I'm just a dumb shooter.

-Nate

Understandable. And I can see your point.
    Thing is, the 'great ideas' behind both groups, involves the staff members who used to be INDIANA Appleseed instructors, but are now Revere's Riders.
    For me, it was a no brainer... everything I knew about the former, was who became the latter. They were everything (sans the pamphlet) that I knew of appleseed, so it's an easier transition for me personally.

ETA: Ok so maybe not the 'idea'. But every interaction, instruction, etc was with the instructors who were dropped or left. And so I questioned what do I know of appleseed. for me, what I knew of appleseed was those instructors.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Thank you, Robbie. And I appreciate the lack of need for a flame suit (always a problem on the internet, where people have such convenient armchair anonymity).

You know, for the time being, I am a member of NEITHER group. I've been grumbling around about doing an Appleseed for years now, just to see what was involved and how much SHOOTING was done versus TALKING...now that I start investigating, I am not sure of what I see, and I didn't even know there WAS a split until a few days ago...

-Nate

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Understandable. And I can see your point.
    Thing is, the 'great ideas' behind both groups, involves the staff members who used to be INDIANA Appleseed instructors, but are now Revere's Riders.
    For me, it was a no brainer... everything I knew about the former, was who became the latter. They were everything (sans the pamphlet) that I knew of appleseed, so it's an easier transition for me personally.

ETA: Ok so maybe not the 'idea'. But every interaction, instruction, etc was with the instructors who were dropped or left. And so I questioned what do I know of appleseed. for me, what I knew of appleseed was those instructors.

Ditto for me. Having shot appleseed twice with almost entirely two different sets of instructors, almost all of which either are no longer AS instructors involuntarily, or soon will be because they are honoring their commitment to the end of this year, I can say without a doubt BOTH AS and RR are good organizations. Appleseed has a nice program, and I presume will soon fill the void with good instructors like they did when they first fired up. The same instructors whom I trained with are now Revere's Riders instructors. Same classy*, effective instructors, just a different name on the shirts. (*the only bad words I have seen spoken about the split were NOT from the instructors who left, but from those who stayed behind)

And it is important to note that at least the perspective from the Revere's side, the two are not in competition with each other. I dont know of a single RR instructor who will tell you NOT to go to an appleseed event. They are both pushing for the same goal... training new shooters and spreading the seeds of liberty in our noggins. Whether you shoot appleseed or riders, you will walk away with the same basic skills and knowledge. And that is a good thing. (at least as far as the riders are concerned)

So give both groups your respect Nate. They deserve it. I'm not affiliated with either group, but I have discussed the split personally with some of the "newly liberated" instructors. Even off the record, they were respectful and honest about what happened, without disparaging the appleseed camp. There were some irreconcilable differences between the two groups, and I can respect both sides. AS has a formula that is sound, but are unwilling to waver or "improve". Some instructors saw a chance to improve and ran with it (though involuntarily) when their ideas were not valued by the higher-ups.

I'm just a lowly shooter like you. But I can tell you there are some awesome INGOers that are instructors in what is looking like an awesome group to shoot with. Put your trust in the individuals, not the organizations. If they were worthy of your trust before, they are worthy now.

Shoot either AppleSeed or Reveres Riders; Its up to you. Just get out there and shoot! (and learn our storied past)

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I wouldn't begrudge anyone attending an Appleseed instead of a RR event. I wish we had many more organizations like these two carrying out similar missions. Like BoR wrote, the path matters far less than the destination. To anyone put off by the current dynamic, don't be! Attend either, whichever makes the most sense for your locale and schedule. Then after having a great time (you will!) go forth and spread the word. The taste of Liberty is sweet indeed and best shared.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Thank you, Robbie. And I appreciate the lack of need for a flame suit (always a problem on the internet, where people have such convenient armchair anonymity).

You know, for the time being, I am a member of NEITHER group. I've been grumbling around about doing an Appleseed for years now, just to see what was involved and how much SHOOTING was done versus TALKING...now that I start investigating, I am not sure of what I see, and I didn't even know there WAS a split until a few days ago...

-Nate
    Just go out and shoot,
    Both are volunteer organizations. I can almost guarantee you won't be shooting with the owners at Applessed. You may with RR since they are just starting.
    But bottom line is, the boots on the ground volunteers with either organization is solely interested in making you a better shooter, and a better person.
    The latter took me a while to realize.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Spotted my first Revere's Riders t-shirt last night at the free stage for Big n Rich.

Was wearing my Appleseed shirt and a guy 5 rows behind me sent his wife up to ask me what I thought about Appleseed. I gave them a favorable review then also told him to keep an eye out for Revere's Riders, same concept, great history combined with learning fundamentals, and most of the instructors I knew that had been part of Appleseed had moved on to Revere. He wanted to know how many children attend shoots. I told him 20-25% of the line. Maybe I was a little high. That was all before the concert started. If I would have spotted the Revere shirt before the concert started, I would have enlisted his help.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Spotted my first Revere's Riders t-shirt last night at the free stage for Big n Rich.

Was wearing my Appleseed shirt and a guy 5 rows behind me sent his wife up to ask me what I thought about Appleseed. I gave them a favorable review then also told him to keep an eye out for Revere's Riders, same concept, great history combined with learning fundamentals, and most of the instructors I knew that had been part of Appleseed had moved on to Revere. He wanted to know how many children attend shoots. I told him 20-25% of the line. Maybe I was a little high. That was all before the concert started. If I would have spotted the Revere shirt before the concert started, I would have enlisted his help.

Was this fella real tall and thin with a van dyke(mustache and goete) that's pretty much grey?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Was this fella real tall and thin with a van dyke(mustache and goete) that's pretty much grey?

Hard to tell. Was center right stage in the bench seats. We were up in the back bleachers. Never saw his face just back of the Revere shirt. Fairly certain he had on a ball cap. I would guess 6 ft and looked fit, not real thin from the backside. Appeared to be with a long dark haired girl with her hair in a ponytail, also wearing a hat, i think, that may have come up to his shoulders.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I suspect you saw my husband and I. He's 6'6 and thin, but from behind he may not have appeared that way because he has very broad shoulders which may have made him look bigger. I come up to about his shoulder and have long dark hair that was in a ponytail. Neither one of us was wearing a hat though.

Did you enjoy the concert? I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the teenage girl behind us hadn't been screaming at the top of her lungs in one of the highest pitches I've ever heard. It actually made my ear hurt.

Top Bottom