• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Ok, so i've been trying to come up with an idea for a while now. Wife and I are really big into camping / hiking and we are always armed when in the woods. At least handguns with each of us pretty much at all times (even on our own property). I recently got my pilot's certificate and we're in the process of building our first airplane, and one of the things we plan on doing is airplane camping as well as taking alot of little day trips in it. So here is my thought, I would really like to have a survival rifle in the airplane but weight is a SERIOUS issue (more so than typical lightweight hiking / backpacking).

Anyways, I'm thinking to start off with, it will be a .22lr rifle because the ammo is so light. I can bring a fair amount of it without serious weight / balance impact. I'm fine with a single shot or bolt action, as its not going to be a "combat" or defensive rifle. While I would like an optic on it, again, weight is an issue and I'm fine with iron sights if they are half way decent. Doesn't have to be a long range precision 22, but good accuracy is important of course, cause if you can't hit anything, there really isn't a point right? And a fairly small footprint is preferable since our plane isn't huge (folding or take down would be preferable).

So far, I've only had a few rifles that I've kind of looked at. I own a Henry AR-7 but not really a huge fan (though if it becomes the best option, it will fit the bill). Of course, it helps that I already own one that works fairly well.

Another that I've looked at is the Chiappa Little Badger in .22lr as well. Single shot, break action, and has a little rail for maybe mounting a small red dot or even maybe a low power optic. Also, it is relatively cheap. It looks promising but I've never had any experience with one, not sure if they are any good / durable? At 2.9 pounds of weight, its not bad in that category either.

I've also been looking at the "Pack Rifle" from Mountain View Arms. I'm really interested in this one I think, but while I've at least heard of the Little Badger, I've never heard of this one till recently. However, this one comes in at 15 freaking ounces...still gives the option to mount a small low power scope to it, and is still single shot / break action. Not sure what to think of, but you can also get a "fishing rod kit" that becomes part of the rifle...

Anyone have other thoughts or ideas?

BMWRich

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hmmm....outside of the ArmaLite AR-7,
    I was gonna suggest the “Chiappa Little Badger” but you already were familiar with that platform.

Maybe start or stay with the Chiappa idea, but mold your own “stock” to hold a few necessities and float incase in ends up in water.
    I see your idea is like the *Rambo* styled knife, which held a sewing kit or extra ammo, compass, something along those lines

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    For a little more punch, maybe a Ruger PCC, or a Kel tec Sub 2000, The KT is foldable, and can be had in .40 S&W for some more punch, MSR pistols could be an option.. If you're fixed on .22, all the above are good choices, the AR-7 was , of course designed for the Air Force as a survival rifle.....

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    For a little more punch, maybe a Ruger PCC, or a Kel tec Sub 2000, The KT is foldable, and can be had in .40 S&W for some more punch, MSR pistols could be an option.. If you're fixed on .22, all the above are good choices, the AR-7 was , of course designed for the Air Force as a survival rifle.....
    I've had two different AR-7 rifles and both reliability and accuracy were so-so.

I like the Savage 42. 22 mag and 410 shotgun in one compact package.
    VZCKTKZRPPBK532NMINHAVVWBY.jpeg

The Savage Rascal 22LR with scope would be accurate and super light weight.
    IMG_0178_thumb[1].jpg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I might take some heat for it, but I'd nominate the 5.7x28. Pistol and PS90 bullpup 16" barrel, weighing in at 26 oz with 20 rounds and 6.3 lbs with 50 round mag, respectively.
    Rounds are 2/3 the weight of 9mm.
    Can do some serious damage, it's not a .22.
    Cue the 22 mag arguments....

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I recommend you consider a Henry's .22 Mare's Leg.
    It weighs in at about 4 1/2 pounds and it's about as accurate as a rifle if you shoot it with a cheek weld like this:

My personal favorite would be my re-stocked Ruger Charger at 3 pounds, 10 ounces.

In addition to light weight and excellent accuracy, it's a whole lot of fun to shoot.

CoachSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 23, 2020
    Fortville
    Not a rifle, but look at a Ruger Charger Takedown. You can add a folding brace. Fits into a backpack easy. Heavier than the Henry Survival. If you want a bigger Caliber look at the Ruger PC Charger in 9mm. Also a takedown and can add a folding brace. Of course if you have to have a rifle, Form 1 one of those as a SBR.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    While it's really old school, the broomhandle mauser with it's attached holster stock still makes a fine carbine.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Let's go on a little journey...

If you and your spouse were to each lose 5 lbs (which, honestly, isn't much at all) and are able to keep it off, that'll allow you to have a rifle in a real caliber at your disposal...

You can get an AR down quite light if you're careful. No frills... A mag or two filled with your favorite pills... Under 10lbs. Easy.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    +eleventy for the X-22 recommendation.

IMO, a traditional rifle will encounter fewer potential state-by-state legal issues than any pistol will.

Reality is operating in the lower 48, you'd always be able to ping an airliner overhead on Guard, 406ELTs work really well, and if you really want redundancy a SPOT messenger will get you recovered by SAR quickly.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Let's go on a little journey...

If you and your spouse were to each lose 5 lbs (which, honestly, isn't much at all) and are able to keep it off, that'll allow you to have a rifle in a real caliber at your disposal...

You can get an AR down quite light if you're careful. No frills... A mag or two filled with your favorite pills... Under 10lbs. Easy.
    I like this a lot. You could even throw in a 22LR conversion kit for small game.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I like this a lot. You could even throw in a 22LR conversion kit for small game.
    I once read about a car club racer guy who had a tricked out Corvette that he liked to race. Like SCCA type racing. What I read described him as middle aged and quite overweight. (Maybe like the guy in my profile pic??) Apparently this guy's next planned upgrade to his car was a total titanium exhaust to save a few lbs. Expensive upgrade...

Apparently, however, losing 50lbs to save THAT weight was off the table.

Going further down my initial rabbit hole - let's up the weight lost by each person to 10lbs. 20 total lbs saved on the people can get you into a scoped AR in a real game-getting scoped rifle. Think .308 or 6.5 CM.

I still think a lightweight AR with a HIGH quality RDS (Like an Aimpoint H or T series) would be great. Make it a pistol, 12.5" or so barrel, and that thing breaks in half to be not very big overall... Flat, too.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Not a rifle, but look at a Ruger Charger Takedown. You can add a folding brace. Fits into a backpack easy. Heavier than the Henry Survival. If you want a bigger Caliber look at the Ruger PC Charger in 9mm. Also a takedown and can add a folding brace. Of course if you have to have a rifle, Form 1 one of those as a SBR.
    Here are a few pics of a Ruger Charger Takedown if you want to get a sense of size.

full

full

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've pursued this to a point of working with a manufacturer on it.

The ideal bushplane gun would be 6.5 grendel bolt action braced pistol. You can get some extremely lightweight chassis and optics. Grendel gives phenomenal performance out of a 12.5" barrel. Capable of handling most aggressive game in the lower 48. Once you get into Alaska bush flying you need a thumper you just have to suck up the weight.

Ar15 is off the table because of how easily you can fly into an unfriendly state. The last thing you want is a ramp check in norcal with any type of ar15.

My goal with the aircraft survival rifle was to put it in a package with a thoughtful first aid kit all housed in a water resistant soft gun bag.

I used to work on a lot of bushplanes out in Washington and generally guys flew with revolvers, which was cheaper and much simpler than the kit i was dreaming up. It never went anywhere.

What airplane are you building?

Top Bottom