• ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A couple of points so far:
    As to the weight issue, my wife and I are both sport pilots, and as such, severely limited in weight. Currently the max gross is 1320 pounds, and by the time you add an 860 pound airplane, fuel, two people, well, there isn't much room for much else. And someone said to "lose a few pounds", well, we already did that :P Collectively, wife and I have lost almost 120 pounds in the last year. We're not giving up on losing more, but we would love to be able to carry more stuff with us that we just can't.

I totally do realize that most GA accidents are pretty much due to stupid mistakes (flying into IMC, CFIT, fuel starvation, that sort of stuff) and my wife and I are daytime VFR only at the moment (sport pilot). This is not to say we're not going to do something stupid, but yes, safety is a huge factor for us.

I've seen some recommendations for other calibers (i think someone was talking about being able to take down animals in AK) and right now our "back country" flying is mostly going to be camping trips in IN and the surrounding states. So really the only uses I can think of at the moment is to take small game and as a signaling device (I grew up always being taught that if your stranded and people are searching, 3 shots = distress). Definitely not worried about taking down a moose or bear (maybe an angry bobcat, lol).

Surprisingly the Ruger 10/22 Charger appears to be fairly heavy for its size. From the factory it is slightly over 4 pounds, and seems to go up from there. The idea of a 10/22 takedown and getting a stock that i can file down in places to shave weight might have some merit, i will have to look into that some. Also, I really like this Aero Survival Rifle, though it seems to be fairly heavy as well. Might be a great little backpacking rifle....

Thanks for all of the ideas so far. Airplane isn't quite finished yet, so I'm stuck renting planes to go fly which is getting expensive, so I'm trying to get it done asap :-D
    Turn on your ELT and i will come get you. I'll bring a ham sammich.. And a bottle of water.You are way over thinking this. Stop into GWB to meet FTF. Hot coffee is always on

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    The man asked “What gun should I buy?”
    And INGO responded, “Don’t buy a gun.”

What is this world coming to??

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Wow, I couldn't imagine flying with a 400lbs instructor! haha! My primary was done in an 85hp Champ, and between me and my instructor, on hot days, it had issues...flew a 65hp champ twice with an instructor and I learned the value of those extra 20 horses...haha

I hope the wife and I will start to get more comfortable and start flying into regions that are more "wildery" (I'm going to start using that!) but I think it may be a while. I fully expect that between my ELT and a cell phone, I will be able to get out of an area relatively well, but I figure it always helps to be prepared. We're already planning out a lightweight survival kit that will stay with the plane and I wanted to add this to that kit. I'm figuring it may be a while before we start making it further out, and by then, maybe that light sport rule change will go into effect and we can carry a better load :)

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Turn on your ELT and i will come get you. I'll bring a ham sammich.. And a bottle of water.You are way over thinking this. Stop into GWB to meet FTF. Hot coffee is always on

Haven't been to GWB yet, but I did most of my training at OKK and spent alot of time at 8I3 (found I LOVE playing at grass fields!), did my checkride up at GSH, so i've been in that rough area few times. I'll have to make a trip that way sometime :)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If you are both comfortable with a pistol and your primary concern is small game why not a 22 pistol like a Taurus TX22.. Easy to put an optic on it if you like and two (one for each of you) of them would weigh less than a Ruger charger and take up less space..

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I might have missed it, what are you building?

Around here, I don't worrying about spending more than a night if something goes wrong. Always file a flight plan, bring a jacket even in the summer, and a liter of water. Further out west I might pack a little heavier on the emergency side. Only reason I fly with a gun is for the trip to and from the airport.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Or one of these
    They make them for Sig, Springfield, Smith, and Glock handguns.

1615807382250.png

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    I might have missed it, what are you building?

Around here, I don't worrying about spending more than a night if something goes wrong. Always file a flight plan, bring a jacket even in the summer, and a liter of water. Further out west I might pack a little heavier on the emergency side. Only reason I fly with a gun is for the trip to and from the airport.
    We are building a Slipstream Genesis. Hoping to have it done this summer, but until then I've been renting a Champ in OKK and a Skycatcher out of UMP.

I'm hoping that this rumor of a light sport rule change happens soon so that weight isn't *as much* of an issue.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Lightweight? How's about a 45 oz. .410.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Inspired by this thread, I finally pulled the trigger on a build I’ve been contemplating for a bit.

Survival to me means hunting for food, more than fighting off a grizzly, so I went with a single shot. Eventually want to do a grendel barrel, and already have a .22 barrel thanks to @Hookeye

36D310D9-1628-41C8-AD6D-C6D150749E8F.jpeg

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Lightweight? How's about a 45 oz. .410.

That would be a very practical choice. Could always add a 22lr chamber adapter and 50-100 rounds for just a touch more weight.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Revisiting this post, I recently acquired a Ruger American 22 magnum with an 18 inch barrel. I am going to leave my 12 gauge at home and this will be my new aircraft rifle. In addition to the .357 magnum that is always on my hip anyway.

It and a 100 rounds cant be more that 5 pounds.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    We are building a Slipstream Genesis. Hoping to have it done this summer, but until then I've been renting a Champ in OKK and a Skycatcher out of UMP.

I'm hoping that this rumor of a light sport rule change happens soon so that weight isn't *as much* of an issue.
    I posted this to another person but you might look at the Cricket...they make them in a 22 mag also....same weight just a bit more punch.

Top Bottom