• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I already have a Cricket in 22lr. Have always wanted to try out a Rascal and see how it shoots. Besides, I don't have any other firearms in 22mag.
    Ok I get that.

How about a Magnum Research 10/22 Ultra light.
    https://www.iammo.com/guns/rifles/m...8-semi-automatic-rifle-in-black-mlr22atu.html

I was looking for a light weight 22 for backpacking and tried the Thompson G1 Contender in 22 with a brace, I also already had the Magnum Research and at 4.5lb the Magnum Research was lighter than the TC plus a semi auto.

Granted they have gotten spendy. When I got mine they were $400.00 out the door and you couldn't build a 10/22 with all the components for that. Now they are running $600.00-$800.00 but they are stupid light and crazy accurate.

Since it is a 10/22 platform you can then go through and VQ the trigger for even more accuracy.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    You know, I am kind of re-considering the whole "limit it to .22lr" thought process. Someone had mentioned that we're going to be expanding and we're not really that far from larger predators (ignoring the two legged variety atm). I do kind of keep looking at that Aero Survival Rifle, maybe in 10mm...

Bugzilla, i wish i could build a helicopter...my dad was a UH-1 and UH-60 pilot in the army until I was 16, so its what I grew up around :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've shot and owned a Ruger 10-22 takedown, Marlin papoose, Henry AR-7, Chiappa Little Badger, Savage 42 compact takedown and I've been chasing this same unicorn of a perfect backpacking rifle as long as I can remember. Here's my thoughts for whatever they're worth to you.

The ruger 10-22 takedown with magpul hunter stock is a great option, but the dovetailed sights can get bumped and loose zero.

The Marlin papoose sights were the deal breaker for me on that rifle because every time the sights seemed to get bumped of the flimsy steel holding the buckhorn rear sight would bend a enough to throw the sights off.

The Chiappa little badger is one of my biggest regrets in life and honestly I'm amazed there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against them for a design flaw. The rifle in this video was mine. I gave it to him for this video. Another friend has one that's got the same issue. I wanted to love the gun, but it's not worthy of being a fence post.

The Henry AR7 I had was reliable, but left a lot to be desired in the accuracy department. With a rear sight on the receiver and front sight on the barrel, there's only so much you can hope for when you're attaching and detaching the whole setup every time you want to use it.

The savage 42 takedown sights are the only reason that gun isn't perfect. It's light, slim, and compact, but the plastic front sight post will bend and the rear sight can get pressed out of it's shape. Had they just machined something simple it would have made all the difference.

A springfield M6 Scout or the improved TPS M6 Scout I think would be a great option and I narrowly missed a chance to buy one before the panic buying started and now they're even more of a unicorn to find.

It may sound like I've been rough on these guns listed above, but I really havne't been. Whether it's in a bag under the backseat or in a backpack things get bumped around and if changes the sights enough to where I'd miss a squirrel on the first shot then it's a no go for me. If I had a plane to carry it and was planning on an all day plinking session then that might be a different deal all together. For my uses though I need to know when I pull the gun out the first shot is going to hit where the last one just did.

That's why currently, I use my old 10-22 that has tech sights and a folding stock. It's not ultralight and it's just north of 5#'s with a loaded mag, but it checks every box I need checked.

Hope this helps.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Another consideration, when looking at realistic SD and game cartridges is the Ruger 77/357.

If you are actually to carry the rifle for more than 15-20 minutes, you will have to find a lightweight solution. 77/357, with just irons (or even a red dot,) comes in only a little more than the 77/22. Weighs in at just over 7#, with 25 rounds on board.

Bolt action rifles are inherently light (and compact) compared to a lot of semi-autos, with less receiver length and metal. The 77/357 is often mistaken for a .22 bolt gun at the range.

Mine is outfitted with the Ruger ghost ring style peep sight and a Williams fire dot red FO front. Its a fast accurate system that spans the most of the top of the rifle.

Vulquartzen's hammer and spring kit fits the 77/357, same as the 77/22 it was designed for. Huge trigger improvement and target light.

50 yard head shots on larger critters is quite doable with this setup. Heart/lung shots in an effective caliber out to 125.

I carry 15 rounds of Buffalo Bore style 190gr hard cast bullet handloads. The other ten rounds are 130gr cast "bunny loads."

This ammo carry package covers deer, small critters and two legged snakes. I'd pack a variety of other loads in some sort of a "leave behind or not" pack to evaluate at the time whether it was worth the extra weight.

I've not tried the rifle on a plane, but it's mushoom hunted the hills and valleys with me a few times. Hardly noticeable package, given the SD/hunting peace of mind it gives.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom