Weighting a stock to reduce recoil. (Sporting Clays Shooter)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    Any advise out there. I've been shooting sporting clays at the little local hole in the wall range for about 10 years. (Northern IN) I just retired and am more serious about competition now. Been shooting Benelli's for years, but recently bought a New Winchester 101 clays. I like the gun. My scores went up a little as well. The 101 is hitting me a little harder than the benelli, and I ain't gettin any younger, to deal with that. (Also the 101 works better with reloads than the Benelli). What would be the first place to start, when weighting my stock. A variety of suggestions would be welcome.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I started trapshooting at are 13, I weighed maybe 120 lbs. We shot 350 rounds every Sunday and I too was getting beat up. Dad had a gunsmith install an Edwards Recoil Reducer in the buttstock in my 1100. I think he may have installed two of them. Those had a mercury insert, probably is a modern day substitute available.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Absolutely, we used to do this in the single shot shotguns that we used for the kids. Commercial weights and mercury reducers are available. We used empty shotshells filled only with shot and crimped to add weight by inserting them in the hole for the stock screw under the recoil pad.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I had a Kick-Eez pad fit to my O/U and it helped a bunch.....recoil pad

Also, although it doesn't technically reduce the recoil, many feel that porting the barrels helps.

One other thing to try is at stations that don't necessarily call for a heavy load, try shooting lighter 1 or even 7/8 oz loads. This helps reduce the "cumulative recoil" of say a 100 bird shoot.

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    I had a Kick-Eez pad fit to my O/U and it helped a bunch.....recoil pad

Also, although it doesn't technically reduce the recoil, many feel that porting the barrels helps.

One other thing to try is at stations that don't necessarily call for a heavy load, try shooting lighter 1 or even 7/8 oz loads. This helps reduce the "cumulative recoil" of say a 100 bird shoot.
    t, We are part of the way there. I have a Kick-Eez (Two Layer) pad getting installed, along with a Graco adjustable pad plate. (long limbed person). The Graco will also provide some extra weight. The Win 101 guns come ported from the factory now, with 30, or 32" BBL. (Belgium). I'll try some 1 oc loads. Thanks to 'Chance' and 'Hawkeye7' for your advice, as well. If necessary, I'll try adding few ounces of BB's in the stock.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    t, We are part of the way there. I have a Kick-Eez (Two Layer) pad getting installed, along with a Graco adjustable pad plate. (long limbed person). The Graco will also provide some extra weight. The Win 101 guns come ported from the factory now, with 30, or 32" BBL. (Belgium). I'll try some 1 oc loads. Thanks to 'Chance' and 'Hawkeye7' for your advice, as well. If necessary, I'll try adding few ounces of BB's in the stock.
    Just a comment. Shifting the weigh back will change the balance point slightly. You may find that the barrels swing "faster" with the weight back towards the butt. Porting is for minimizing muzzle rise, primarily for the second shot. Initially sporting clays guns and O/U trap doubles guns were ported on the bottom barrel only. Have thrown a lot of lead down range with those sports. Enjoy!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Any advise out there. I've been shooting sporting clays at the little local hole in the wall range for about 10 years. (Northern IN) I just retired and am more serious about competition now. Been shooting Benelli's for years, but recently bought a New Winchester 101 clays. I like the gun. My scores went up a little as well. The 101 is hitting me a little harder than the benelli, and I ain't gettin any younger, to deal with that. (Also the 101 works better with reloads than the Benelli). What would be the first place to start, when weighting my stock. A variety of suggestions would be welcome.
    First thing to try is to fill the stock bolt hole with lead shot. Just pour it in and screw the pad back on tight. Two minute job. You get the maximum weight for the least effort invested, because it fills the entire volume of the hole. Some of my guns, I've even drilled another hole below the stock bolt hole and added more shot. I don't really find it changes the balance, so much as it's just more weight to shoulder repeatedly on long days. But you should get used to that quickly.

I would stay away from the mercury reducers. They clunk around if not installed properly, really don't add much weight, the motion of the liquid is negligible, and now you have a Haz-Mat item in your gun that you hope won't leak (I've never heard of them leaking...but most trapshooters would throw it away and not tell anybody, anyway).

Top Bottom