• ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    OK, long story:

My wife and I have both had websites up for several years. Mine stays pretty stagnant but my wife's needs to be updated regularly. We have been using MS Frontpage for editing and we're both relatively comfortable with it. We were both using Aplus for our hosting but around a year ago they went through some "upgrades" (code for screwing everything up) and we've been consistently unable to update my wife's website since. Every time we call they say it's on our end and after days of phone calls we finally get them to admit that it was a problem with the Frontpage extensions on their end. They fix it and everything works for about a week then we're back to the same BS.

Two weeks ago my wife decided she had had enough and asked me to transfer her site over to Intuit. I spent two weeks trying to get the domain transferred and now that it finally has, her website won't show up. I received an email yesterday saying the transfer was successful then the email tells me the homepage must be named "index" for the website to load. Now you would think this might be something they would inform you of before doing the domain transfer but they didn't. So I start trying to determine how to rename the file. Turns out you can't. The Sitebuilder software we have to use isn't capable. It also turns out the Sitebuilder software won't work on Windows 7. Again, something they might have considered telling us before we went through the nightmare of transferring her domain. I'm at about 98.7% capacity on pissed off at this point and Inuit will be getting a nice phone call tomorrow telling them to shove it.

So my question is this:

Does there exist, anywhere on this wonderfully huge place we call the internet, where we can publish a relatively simple website using MS Frontpage and actually be able to edit it when we would like to? I'm sick of talking with people in India who have que cards which say "the problem must be on your end". I'm not talking about a complex web page with a shopping cart although we would like to be able to do that at some point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    My wife's website is hosted through google, and she's able to update very easily and frequently. Low costs for hosting, she's very happy with it. I don't know if it would suit your needs, but I think it'd at least be worth a look.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Poor man's solution...Make a copy of the current home page and rename it 'index' locally. Then upload it the way you usually do.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    a) You can't just make a copy of your "home" page and name that file "index" ? (ETA: I missed Miguel's post when I wrote this... my thoughts exactly.)
    b) Are you really stuck on FrontPage as your CMS application? When I was designing websites, I used to cry whenever I was handed a FP or Dreamweaver site... those two applications added so much extraneous code, it was unbearable and difficult to find the actual problem with a page. I know Dreamweaver cleaned up its program a bit... maybe FP did, too. Still, there are SO MANY other CMS applications out there. Intuit probably even has one built into your hosting.
    c) My dad owns a web hosting and development company in Indianapolis. As far as I know, he hasn't outsourced to India yet. :p He's not as cheap as you would find other places, but he's not outlandish either, and the customer service is amazing. Let me know if you want his contact info.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I can't access the homepage to try to change the name. As far as I know everything must be done using Intuit's Sitebuilder software which requires Microsoft JVM to work and JVM isn't compatible with Windows 7. I've read that even if I could get their Sitebuilder software to run, it doesn't have the ability to rename a file, we would have to rebuild the page with Sitebuilder.

I'm not a computer guru and I haven't tried any other software but Frontpage. It works very similarly to other Microsoft software so I've been able to stumble through it and get the desired results.

I think I have another problem now. I just remembered reading that you have to wait 60 days before transferring a domain name so I'm probably stuck with non-intuitive Intuit for the next two months. Peachy.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Hostgator is a wonderful web host, they support frontpage. tech support is awsome, by phone,chat, or support ticket.
    4.95 a month or cheaper packages. Click Here

as far as the domain name goes. transfer it to godaddy, excellent fee's. and then you just have to change the name servers in godaddy to whoever is hosting the website. once the domain name is at godaddy it only takes a little while to transfer site to a new host. feel free to contact me & i can be of assistance.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'm with Pami on sites created with Frontpage or Dreamweaver. Notepad or vi are the way to go! :D

That said, another option long term would be to spin up a site on WordPress or Drupal Gardens. They have a web based editor that is fairly robust and wouldn't require you to use front page. Despite WordPress being a blogging tool, you can do some simple build outs creating pages that will stay put, rather than being part of the 'inventory' of blog posts.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm not necessarily stuck on using Frontpage. I honestly could care less as long as whatever we use is somewhat user friendly and understandable. I'm no programmer but we can't have her website look like it was built by a 3 year old either. I'm certainly open to using other software, Frontpage is simply what I've had at my disposal thus far.

Does anyone know if the rule for waiting 60 days to transfer a domain is really a rule or just something Intuit is telling people?

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I'm not necessarily stuck on using Frontpage. I honestly could care less as long as whatever we use is somewhat user friendly and understandable. I'm no programmer but we can't have her website look like it was built by a 3 year old either. I'm certainly open to using other software, Frontpage is simply what I've had at my disposal thus far.

Does anyone know if the rule for waiting 60 days to transfer a domain is really a rule or just something Intuit is telling people?
    ICANN | Policy on Transfer of Registrations between Registrars
    Upon denying a transfer request for any of the following reasons, the Registrar of Record must provide the Registered Name Holder and the potential Gaining Registrar with the reason for denial. The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following specific instances:

9.A domain name is within 60 days (or a lesser period to be determined) after being transferred (apart from being transferred back to the original Registrar in cases where both Registrars so agree and/or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs).
    but you don't need to transfer the registrar to change your hosting, you only need to repoint your name servers with your registrar.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Is the site hosted on a Windows based server or LIUNX? Is there something on the website called Control Panel? Most hosting sites have this frontend to manage your website. There should be something called a File Manger Tool. Use this tool to change the name of the HTML file to index. I know LIUNX based servers have this frontend .. I assume the same for Windows based servers.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thus far I have no idea. Intuit has not provided any insight as to how I can attempt to access the files for my wife's website. I can't even check to see if the files are present on their server. I wouldn't know how to tell the difference between a Windows or Linux server though, I'm that computer illiterate.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What software would you guys (and girl) recommend I use to design a website? Preferably something affordable, I'll just be using it for my wife's website and maybe mine.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    What software would you guys (and girl) recommend I use to design a website? Preferably something affordable, I'll just be using it for my wife's website and maybe mine.
    what is the current site? I'll be able to give you a better recommendation then. Also, are there features you want to be able to add?

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Bryanearl is selling Adobe CS4 premium. That would include a copy of Dreamweaver. Long term solution may be to enroll at a community college for a dreamweaver class. I did it for one semester and came away with a lot of good info, even if it is just for a hobby. Also Miguel had good info about renaming the current homepage to index, and then updating the file on the server with the index page. Until I took that dreamweaver class, I didn't know that any homepage had to ultimately be named index:D. Good luck either way.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I absolutely love dreamweaver but I don't use the wysiwyg(design) view. I use the code or split view when I code. I also just took a couple of classes at IvyTech just to learn proper coding techniques.

With dreamweaver (I'm sure there's others out there too) you can edit the file and set it so that every time you save it, it will upload it to the server. More often than not though, I just upload it manually which is also a quick click of a button.

If you want training for web development, Ivy Tech is good. If you can get Ed Ventura as your teacher, you will learn a A LOT from him. He works in code view. Alan works in design view but he also usually teaches web design 1 classes whereas Ed teaches design 2 classes. Alan is fantastic too but he's more design. Ed is more development.

I'm trying to find out if Ed is teaching a class anywhere. I'll get back to you on that.

Top Bottom