• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Her website is www.stacynashprimitives.com. Right now it just shows a closed sign saying it's down for maintenance, thankfully it also includes an email so people can reach her if needed. She is in absolute panic mode at this point. She hasn't been able to update her website since September and she's losing a lot of money as a result. I'm getting really irritated because I can't help. I was trying to help when I started the switch to Intuit but obviously I've made things worse.

I believe we have her web pages saved on her computer and we still have the ability to change and update them, we just need to get them published and the domain redirected, at least temporarily, so she doesn't completely miss the busiest time of the year.

I really appreciate all of the help so far.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Cory, it seems that you're getting plenty of help already and my post might not help much, but if these sites are sources of income, you might want to consider investing some time in learning html. Once you get a good feel for the syntax, it's pretty intuitive. I'm not an expert by any means, but all pages I have built I have coded in TextPad or Notepad. If something is not working right, it's so much easier to find the problem if the code is yours.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm not opposed to the idea, I actually enjoy playing with new things and can stumble my way through computer related things most of the time. Just under a time crunch at the moment.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well, Ed is not teaching a level 1 class in Ivy Tech for web design. He is teaching a graphics class (VISC 115) which will include photoshop, illustrator and probably flash and then the web II level class as well.

Let us know what you find out from Intuit and maybe someone can offer some help.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Until I took that dreamweaver class, I didn't know that any homepage had to ultimately be named index:D. Good luck either way.

And until you take the Apache class you won't know you can edit httpd.conf to have it recognize any filename for a directory. At least in Apache. :D

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    with the site being down, not much to look at, is it a shopping cart site?

No. It has been a basic text and photo site since we created it. My wife took orders via email. We were hoping to add a shopping cart after we switched everything over to a new company.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    No. It has been a basic text and photo site since we created it. My wife took orders via email. We were hoping to add a shopping cart after we switched everything over to a new company.
    ah, there's a few good free cart systems 15 Open Source eCommerce Platforms - tripwire magazine

but first I guess you just want to get your old site up and running some place. Have you gotten anywhere with Intuit yet? If you want, you can zip your site and email it to dennis@dmcomps.com and I can convert it to standard HTML instead of "frontpage" have you checked out any other web design programs yet? If you go to a cart system, it would probably be easiest to buy a template and you manage it via a admin/control panel on the server.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Haven't heard from Intuit and their techincal support is only available when I'm at work. Intuit offers a cart system and we were planning to use it once the site was up but I'm beginning to wonder if that's ever going to happen.

I asked for any recommendations on other web design programs but didn't get any replies on one to look at. Not sure where to look, I thought FP was a good one till I started this thread.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    if you send me the site I can create an account for you on my server. I can then upload it. i would also need to talk to you about your intuit login with instructions on how to get it going to my server. once I see the site I could give you recommendations on updating it.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Haven't heard from Intuit and their techincal support is only available when I'm at work. Intuit offers a cart system and we were planning to use it once the site was up but I'm beginning to wonder if that's ever going to happen.

I asked for any recommendations on other web design programs but didn't get any replies on one to look at. Not sure where to look, I thought FP was a good one till I started this thread.
    frontpage is just old and the extensions are mostly no longer supported. it was replaced by Expressions which is ok but still adds tons of junk code. If you go with a standard cart system and template, you really don't need any web design software. It would all be done in the admin panel of the site.

I use dreamweaver, it's not cheap but it makes clean code and it's easy to make as simple or as complex of a site as you need. There are some WYSIWYG software like coffeecup designer but it may not integrate with your cart system.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I also wanted to make note that public libraries, at least Hamilton county, offer web classes too. Cheap and only a few days long and only a couple of hours those days. Might be worth taking a look at those. The ones in fishers or Noblesville has a waiting list but look at some around you.

The classes starting January 3rd are open though. Event Registration

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    currently I am trying to change the nameservers for them, but intuits websites will not allow me to change that. i have submitted a ticket. they are worse then extremely slow to respond to a ticket.

Top Bottom