• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Saw this story about Bob and Deb Cheek's range. I think it's BS. Not sure what the laws and ordinances are there but sounds to me like a witch hunt by the neighbors. I admire them personally for finding away around it after they got shut down to build a public range.
    Is it legal? Gun range debate pits neighbors against neighbors | Fox 59

I don't. There may have been good reason to deny their initial range. If they're holding events, I'd like to see what qualifies them as private. Doesn't sound like a witch hunt to me, sounds like neighbors concerned about their property.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I don't. There may have been good reason to deny their initial range. If they're holding events, I'd like to see what qualifies them as private. Doesn't sound like a witch hunt to me, sounds like neighbors concerned about their property.

I can understand that side too, if that's what is going on. I guess time will tell what happens.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I would think they could charge for "memberships" and still have it be a private club.

We need a lawyer to help us figure this out. I wondering if a "private" club, that charges money for membership/events isn't still in the "public/commercial" realm which zoning would apply.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We need a lawyer to help us figure this out. I wondering if a "private" club, that charges money for membership/events isn't still in the "public/commercial" realm which zoning would apply.

That's what I'm thinking too. There's private, and then there's "private", and they're not necessarily the same thing in the eyes of the law.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Doesn't Elmore's get around the Greenwood smoking ban for businesses by calling their business a private club?

JT1968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Aurora
    I know a guy who lives in the boondocks. He started a little paintball field on his back forty. They played there twice a month. The neighbours complained a lot, saying his property wasn't zoned for that. The county, after someone called them, looked into it and sure enough they were right! No more paintball field. The property owner then went around to all the happy neighbours to inform them that his little paintball field was indeed closed. He also informed them that his property was zoned to allow a hog farm to be on the premises. So he told the neighbours they could smell the hogs year round or listen to the paintball guns twice a month.. Paintball fields back open! Wooooo Hooooo!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Having witnessed a similar situation in another county I would say the zoning board will consider this in violation. But there is probably no clear definition separating "private" vs "public".

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Not a lawyer but I would agree with the statement. I have it on pretty good authority that even hosting a non-profit such as 4H, BSA or Appleseed event is considered "public". But it is definitely a fine line. Insurance companies look at private clubs differently then a public range. A public range is one that is open to the public for a fee. That is without a doubt commercial property. But even a private shooting club might be subject to zoning depending on how the county ordinances are written.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Are there any good lawyers on INGO?
    AFAIK, all the lawyers on INGO are pro-2A, so the libtards would consider them all 'bad'.

So, no, no 'good little lap-dog libtard' lawyers on INGO. :laugh:

Almost worth ponying up the price of membership even though I'd likely never go there! :yesway:

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I think it is going to depend on what their gooberment decides on as far as their local ordinances. Or which person or neighbor lined which politicians pockets. I like Bob and hate seeing this but it is what it is. I believe every county or whatever has different rules and laws so it will end up depending on the interpretation I suppose.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    "Jim Ensley is the attorney for the Putnam County Board of Commissioners. He said a landowner contacted him a week ago with the issue. He’s investigating the zoning ordinances and says the county needs to determine how big the private events are to see if there are violations. “Certainly, if it’s a situation where if they’ve already been denied and decided to go forward with it anyway, that’s definitely of concern with the commissioners and the planning commission,” he said, “It all depends on how many people are out there. I think the definition of public and private is a subjective one.”"

Let's see how the"subjective" definition of public and private goes. I'd have to think there is some precedence on what public and private is as there has to be many different laws that hinge on that definition.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom