• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    lifelong deer and small game hunter here but I’ve never been waterfowl hunting.I was watching a waterfowl hunting show today and it looks like it would be a pretty good time.

Anyone have any advice on how to go about giving it a try? Seems like a lot of decoys/calls/ retrieving dog are needed to just get started.

Long shot but any waterfowlers in the central indiana area looking for a hunting partner?

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    There are still lots of ducks killed over small spreads, a half dozen decoys or less, especially in tucked away corner of a bayou or pond. Finding someone to show you the ropes is always nice, but YouTube can be a big help, too.

I used to hunt quite a bit, but family stuff takes up my time and money now. Good luck, it can be a lot of fun, kind of the best of both worlds when compared to deer and small game hunting. Lots of time to chat with your hunting partners like a pheasant or rabbit drive, but similar to deer hunting in the anticipation once birds are sighted and coming into range.

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    I took a duck hunting lesson offered by the DNR at Camp Atterbury. The regulations are complex, but the worst part is that there are way more hunters than locations available on DNR properties, so you would have to arrive before dawn to draw a lottery. If you win, you are assigned a spot on one of the ponds in Camp Atterbury.

Unless you have access to private land with lake/pond, you will be better off going for a guided hunt. I am planing to do that this year.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    lifelong deer and small game hunter here but I’ve never been waterfowl hunting.I was watching a waterfowl hunting show today and it looks like it would be a pretty good time.

Anyone have any advice on how to go about giving it a try? Seems like a lot of decoys/calls/ retrieving dog are needed to just get started.

Long shot but any waterfowlers in the central indiana area looking for a hunting partner?
    Unless you are hunting major rivers, a dog is not a necessity, although they do add to experience IMO. When hunting lakes a boat, canoe, or kayak is sufficient for retrieving downed birds and you can even get away with fishing rod and treble hook for small but deep ponds.

If it were me and I were looking to waterfowl hunt in central Indiana, I'd forget the water and concentrate on field hunting at least at first. To do it effectively you will need to spend time and gas scouting to find the fields the birds are using and even more time knocking on doors to get permission but you'll likely have better results than focusing on hunting water at first.

The next best option, assuming no one is looking for a hunting partner and that you have a boat, canoe or kayak, is to float hunt a navigable stream. Ideally you want to hunt a stream large enough to be navigable but not a major river.

A reasonably priced call (plus lots of practice) and a 1-2 dozen decoys w/rigging and accessories is plenty to get you started, there's no need for a trailer full of Dave Smith Decoys to start out. Add a pair of waders if you're going to be hunting around water or a layout blind to make field hunting a bit better/more comfortable. A guidebook for identifying the different types of ducks may also be helpful.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I would do some scouting and look for flooded fields away from busy roads. Early morning and later in the afternoon when birds are hitting the ponds and standing water.

Then see if you can get permission to hunt. My guess is you will get many more positive responses than for other types of hunting.

I have seen spots in Hendricks county not far from my house that have hundreds of ducks and/or geese. With the recent cold snap they should really start to show up on migration.

As said before, if you have a canoe or access to one, jump shooting on the rivers is a heck of a lot of fun. Just be very quiet and very quick on the draw because you won't have much time. I've done it on the Flat Rock and Blue rivers SE of Indy. You need 2 people so you can stage vehicles.

I also have hunted on Geist but that was in the 1990s.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2015
    boone county
    I
    I would do some scouting and look for flooded fields away from busy roads. Early morning and later in the afternoon when birds are hitting the ponds and standing water.

Then see if you can get permission to hunt. My guess is you will get many more positive responses than for other types of hunting.

I have seen spots in Hendricks county not far from my house that have hundreds of ducks and/or geese. With the recent cold snap they should really start to show up on migration.

As said before, if you have a canoe or access to one, jump shooting on the rivers is a heck of a lot of fun. Just be very quiet and very quick on the draw because you won't have much time. I've done it on the Flat Rock and Blue rivers SE of Indy. You need 2 people so you can stage vehicles.

I also have hunted on Geist but that was in the 1990s.
    Buddy killed a banded goose in Hendricks county this morning in a cut field. It was banded a year ago in the speedway area. Didn’t live long or travel far

Top Bottom