• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Ruger SR22’s are fantastic in my opinion. I’ve had two different generations and both have handled everything I’ve thrown at them. I have never shot a Ruger target style pistol, but have shot the S&W Victory with the carbon fiber barrel(performance center version possibly??), and have wanted one ever since. That victory will be my next 22 purchase.

You can get a performance center Victory with a carbon fiber barrel, or you can buy a standard Victory and add a Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel. The nice thing is that the performance center version also has the nice TK victory trigger in it and the oversized mag release, but it's also a bit spendier. I have both and actually prefer the Volquartsen barrel.

Oldschool1911s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2021
    NWI
    I have a Kimber conversion on one of my 1911 frames. It has adjustable sights....adaquatly accurate... relatively cheap.
    I believe there are other version for different handguns
    Do you have any of the Kimber mags for that conversation? I have some and have not had good luck with them feeding.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I want to thank everyone who responded to my original post about buying a new 22LR gun. The advice was fantastic and much appreciated. After going thru the posts I made a mental list of a couple rifles and 2-3 handguns I would start looking more serious at.

Yesterday, I stopped in at Dunhams to look for an outdoor canopy. As I went in I picked up a flyer and noticed they had a gun sale of $$$$ off depending on price. I never shop their and didn't even know they sold guns. I walked over to the gun counter and they had the most basic 10/22 carbine. It is the one with no sights or even a barrel band. It is made for customizing. It was $249 with $25 off so needless to say it came home with me. I was so exited I forgot to go look for a canopy.

Only one thing surprised me. For the first time I had to actually fill out actual paperwork to buy a gun. Every place before it was online.

Thanks again everyone.
    Good first choice. Contact Alan at A&A Optics to fit a basic scope on that rifle. Do not use the crap scope base that came with the rifle. Buy an EGW base or similar and a good set of scope rings. Alan will hook you up. If you visit him at his shop, he'll get everything mounted and might even let you zero your scope on his range. Then it's off to a Revere's Riders basic rifle event to learn how to accurately shoot your new rifle.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I was fortunate enough to pick up a couple before prices got really crazy. Without a doubt, these are some of the finest made pieces I own. These two XTR's are in 22 Mag, a 1978 and a 1988:

Unfortunately, I have to scope anything I want to shoot straight with. I have better scopes now, but the cheap Nikon's served me well until I could afford better.

View attachment 146313

Very nice, Steve. I think as far as appearance goes, I luck the unchecked stocks better

I hear you on the scopes. I'm OK with irons in good light out to about 50 yds, beyond that I need glass. That's for accuracy. I can hit a man size target considerably further away but have gotten used to scoping just about everything just so I can truly see what I'm aiming at

I never thought they would become so sought after, so it was always something I would get around to when the right deal came along. Now, I think that ship has sailed

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Very nice, Steve. I think as far as appearance goes, I luck the unchecked stocks better

I hear you on the scopes. I'm OK with irons in good light out to about 50 yds, beyond that I need glass. That's for accuracy. I can hit a man size target considerably further away but have gotten used to scoping just about everything just so I can truly see what I'm aiming at

I never thought they would become so sought after, so it was always something I would get around to when the right deal came along. Now, I think that ship has sailed

Thank you sir. I too, like the non-checkered stocks better - not just the looks, they feel better. Don't give up hope, though. The last one I bought, I got for a steal at Cabelas, of all places, just a year or so ago. I don't think they knew what they had. The stocks were only around 88%, but the metal was more like 98%. I really enjoy that one, cause I can take it afield without worry of every little ding.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    The most fun I've ever had with a .22 was with a 10" AR/red dot and .22 conversion kit blasting steel plates at 10-25 yards. A pistol AR is light enough for anyone to use and is just downright pleasant to shoot.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I do not own one but have shot quite a few and doubt you will ever regret buying a Ruger 10/22, especially considering you stated all your current 22lr ammo is of non-match grade plinking ammo so little point in buying a 22lr designed for max accuracy if you don't have match grade ammo on hand or unless you are willing to buy MG 22lr ammo.

10/22 10-50 round spare mags are available everywhere and are usually reasonably priced.
    You will have to decide just HOW FAR you plan on going down the 22lr rabbit hole because you will quickly discover it is essentially bottomless and the aftermarket for 10/22, Ruger MK IV, Ruger 22/45 and S&W Victory is also without end.

The great thing about the 10/22, 22/45 or S&W Victory is you can leave them all 100% factory stock and have a great time with them or you can quickly exhaust your savings as well as your children's inheritance customizing them and then there is the match grade 22lr for semi-auto rifles and pistols that will astonish you with what they can cost.

I own both MK IV and 22/45 pistols and are very happy with both but if i could do over would've bought two 22/45's as the 22/45 IMO are easior to assemble/dis-assemble and clean. Will say though with my MK IV Target if you can not shoot a 1" group at 15 yards it's you not the gun.

Basically the only limiting factor of what you can do a with a 22lr rifle or pistol is how much $$$ you can afford to spend.

I am just getting started in factory class 22lr BR and thus far have spent:
    >$550 on a Tikka T1X MTR BA rifle
    >$200 on a used but ANIB 8.5-25x42mm scope
    >$45 on rings
    >$45 on a base
    >$100 on 22lr specific cleaning equipment (my 223 stuff wont work)
    >$70+ on spare mags
    >$20 USBR factory class target pack
    >Wont say how much $$$ on match grade ammo

My fun plinking 22lr rifles are H&K 416D's my sons love them and they are surprisingly accurate both each have 3k++ rounds of the cheapest 22lr I could buy and have functioned wonderfully.

Last edited:

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I do not own one but have shot quite a few and doubt you will ever regret buying a Ruger 10/22, especially considering you stated all your current 22lr ammo is of non-match grade plinking ammo so little point in buying a 22lr designed for max accuracy if you don't have match grade ammo on hand or unless you are willing to buy MG 22lr ammo.

10/22 10-50 round spare mags are available everywhere and are usually reasonably priced.
    You will have to decide just HOW FAR you plan on going down the 22lr rabbit hole because you will quickly discover it is essentially bottomless and the aftermarket for 10/22, Ruger MK IV, Ruger 22/45 and S&W Victory is also without end.

The great thing about the 10/22, 22/45 or S&W Victory is you can leave them all 100% factory stock and have a great time with them or you can quickly exhaust your savings as well as your children's inheritance customizing them and then there is the match grade 22lr for semi-auto rifles and pistols that will astonish you with what they can cost.

I own both MK IV and 22/45 pistols and are very happy with both but if i could do over would've bought two 22/45's as the 22/45 IMO are easior to assemble/dis-assemble and clean. Will say though with my MK IV Target if you can not shoot a 1" group at 15 yards it's you not the gun.

Basically the only limiting factor of what you can do a with a 22lr rifle or pistol is how much $$$ you can afford to spend.

I am just getting started in factory class 22lr BR and thus far have spent:
    >$550 on a Tikka T1X MTR BA rifle
    >$200 on a used but ANIB 8.5-25x42mm scope
    >$45 on rings
    >$45 on a base
    >$100 on 22lr specific cleaning equipment (my 223 stuff wont work)
    >$70+ on spare mags
    >$20 USBR factory class target pack
    >Wont say how much $$$ on match grade ammo

My fun plinking 22lr rifles are H&K 416D's my sons love them and they are surprisingly accurate both each have 3k++ rounds of the cheapest 22lr I could buy and have functioned wonderfully.
    I will keep my eyes open for the HK 416D. Although I do not remember seeing any lately around here. I do see SW 15-22 about as much as I do 10/22 around here and they go fast.

Since I bought the most basic 10/22 without sights my first purchase will be a red dot. I have several rifles with scopes but not one has a red dot so that is what I am starting with. Should be fun for plinking. I am sure you like the Tikka. I have Tikka T3 Lite in 223. It is bone stock except for the nice scope. I really like it.

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    You can get a performance center Victory with a carbon fiber barrel, or you can buy a standard Victory and add a Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel. The nice thing is that the performance center version also has the nice TK victory trigger in it and the oversized mag release, but it's also a bit spendier. I have both and actually prefer the Volquartsen barrel.
    Thanks for this input!!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Pistols.....hard to beat a Ruger MK for the money. No, I dont like the looks of the MK4 and IMHO unless arthritic, the prev versions are no big deal to take apart/ reassemble.

If you cant do it, proly cant shoot the pistol well either.

My choices of .22 handguns.....three.
    TC Contender w match bbl and EER scope. Browning Buckmark w reflex sight and lastly, for iron sight stuff....a High Standard 106 Trophy.

Because a Colt Woodsman grip is just a little funky for my hand.

As far as 1022s go.....pimp one to what you want, or go w the classic fingergroove ( sporter ). Nothing between.

The standard stock is horrible and once youve shot an old sporter the lightbulb should come on. Unfortunately its still a 1022 and while feel may be great, the accuracy may not be.

Too bad nobody makes a repro stock anymore. A new 1022, in a repro stock w a GM 20" sporter would be super cool.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you want a .22 rifle that can shoot a variety of ammo, and some of it possibly well ....get a CZ bolt gun.

The 455 has the safety backwards abd that sucks. So get a newer model.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have been using an M&P AR15-22 around the property for years now and I have to say it is perfect! Stupid light, stupid accurate and just a joy to shoot! I wreck just about anything with it and the accuracy with 35 gr hollowpoints is amazing!

Attachments

• CEBA2583-533B-47DF-BEC5-1A7F29EFB0D9.jpeg
      CEBA2583-533B-47DF-BEC5-1A7F29EFB0D9.jpeg
      1.7 MB · Views: 7

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Have a Ruger MKII pistol and 10/22 rifle that taught hundreds of kids during 14 years of 4H Shooting Sports. Both have fired thousands of rounds and are still reliable and accurate. Also have an Appleseed configured 10/22 training rifle.

The Rugers are like Barbie for gun owners. There are many aftermarket options for modifications and upgrades.

The Savage Model 64 is my next favorite 22 rifle. Their limitation is that the mags are fussy, and very limited aftermarket accesories. Currently have a TRR-SR and thinking about a 64 Takedown. The 64F is a great basic rifle.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I walked over to the gun counter and they had the most basic 10/22 carbine. It is the one with no sights or even a barrel band. It is made for customizing. It was $249 with $25 off so needless to say it came home with me. I was so exited I forgot to go look for a canopy.
    Congrats on a great first .22 and hope you'll really enjoy it. As others have said previously, start getting some Ruger mags now while you still can. Although I have some of the 50-round (double molded 25s) I prefer the 25-round the best. A 10/22 was the first gun we bought out son when he was 13 and he loves it still to this day.

As far as handguns, there are many good recommendations above also. I really like the Browning Buckmarks and the Ruger Mark I and IIs. They are so much fun to shoot, have smooth triggers and are great guns to teach a new shooter.

My next one will be a Taurus TX-22...when I can find one! They don't last long on the shelf.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Regarding the thread title - I find I want to buy most .22s I see. Rifles, handguns, odd, different or ugly. They are fun to shoot.

Top Bottom