• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I'll throw a couple different handgun options that haven't been mentioned:

1) S&W Victory 22. Very similar to the Mark IV except I prefer it over the Rugers. I have 2 Mark IV's and 3 Victory's and I've had less issues with the Victory handguns. Plus it's super easy to switch out the barrel for a Volquartsen barrel, which is pretty sweet. They are generally $50 to $100 less than a comparable Mark IV.

2) Taurus TX-22. Compact sized striker fired polymer handgun that is relatively inexpensive and a great training 22. Mine has run fine with every type of ammo I've tried and it's very accurate. Not a bullseye pistol, but they have a competition version if you want that.
    I'll second the TX-22. I have 2, one I use for teaching and the other with an optic that I use for my own training.. As WT said, eats anything, easy takedown and a great trigger.. Several thousand rounds downrange between the pair and no issues and I find them very accurate.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    .22 long rifle fun...can be had at every age and can be enjoyed by just about everyone who plinks, target shoots, hunts, etc.
    Ruger's 10/22 is a solid basic rifle for having fun with and it comes in various configurations and set-ups!
    Ruger's 10/22 Charger with the 10" barrel is a hoot to shoot and with the addition of a brace, it's definitely one of my favorite .22's!
    I've had a few different Ruger Mark-Series pistols, their SR-22, etc., and while they're all fun to shoot, they're a pain to clean!
    For a great-shooting .22lr pistol, I bought a .22lr conversion kit for my wife's Beretta 92, and it's quickly became the favorite at our house!
    My wife loves it, my two son's love it...I ended up buying a second .22lr magazine for it so one could be reloading while another shoots!
    I'd have to say that it's even more accurate than any of the Mark Series pistols I've ever owned!
    Train safely and wisely....

Ruger 10/22 Charger with Sound Forcing Cone, KAK Shockwave Brace and Simmons Red Dot!
    ESWnYPz.jpg

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I've HAD:
    LCR22
    LCP22
    MKII
    MKIII
    Heritage Arms
    Marlin 795

I love 22's. I have had no probs with any.....and yes the MKII & III were a pain to breakdown but not impossible.

IF and when....the Henry would be my next.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Beretta also made a .22 version of the 92 that faithfully reproduces the 9mm. I've come close to buying one. ;)

A Henry lever action is also on my list.

Find a .22 that matches what you want to use it for. They are hard to beat for fun. They are also hungry and can burn through ammo. You won't notice because you'll be smiling.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Man, the list of rimfires I've owned or own would occupy more space here than I care to think about. From $150 chipmunk pistols to $3500 Anschutz 1727F rifles and a whole lot in between. Couple of favorites would include an old Savage-Anschutz 54 actioned sporter that I had to source a bolt for. It came with the bolt out of a Remington 513 and it worked!
    Many Winchester 52's to include a couple of repro sporters.

And a Kimber Pro-varmint in .17 mach2.

S&W model 41 is the nicest pistol, with a Volquartsen upper on a mk3 lower coming a close second.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My recommendations after 60 years of shooting:

Handgun - Ruger Mark whatever target with a bull barrel.
    Rifle - Henry, either lever action or pump.

erasure

komm süßer tod
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    merrrerrrmrerrerverre
    I really like Ruger Mk.whatever. My Mk.II is the most fun pistol I own, and reassembly isn't THAT bad. Tricky but if you get stuck just watch a youtube video on it, problem solved.

Charger would also be a good choice.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Chargers can be fun, but in their stock form, they're difficult to shoot off-hand.
    I modified mine to mimic a Henry's Mare Leg.

I shoot it the way this man demonstrates with a Mare's Leg.

It's great fun.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I want a 9422. Should have bought one when they were just a little overpriced

Now, :faint:

I was fortunate enough to pick up a couple before prices got really crazy. Without a doubt, these are some of the finest made pieces I own. These two XTR's are in 22 Mag, a 1978 and a 1988:

Unfortunately, I have to scope anything I want to shoot straight with. I have better scopes now, but the cheap Nikon's served me well until I could afford better.

P1080669.JPG

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    No mention of the Keltec . Holds 30rds as opposed to 10
    There are two KelTecs, one with 17 round capacity and the other with 33. Both have had pretty good reviews. I shot the 33 rounder and it was both fun and worked great. PIA to load.

goob469

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Ruger 10-22 - the erector set of 22's, there are so many after market parts for it. Plus it's just a classic rife.

Pistol wise - I can not say enough good things about a Browning Buckmark.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I want to thank everyone who responded to my original post about buying a new 22LR gun. The advice was fantastic and much appreciated. After going thru the posts I made a mental list of a couple rifles and 2-3 handguns I would start looking more serious at.

Yesterday, I stopped in at Dunhams to look for an outdoor canopy. As I went in I picked up a flyer and noticed they had a gun sale of $$$$ off depending on price. I never shop their and didn't even know they sold guns. I walked over to the gun counter and they had the most basic 10/22 carbine. It is the one with no sights or even a barrel band. It is made for customizing. It was $249 with $25 off so needless to say it came home with me. I was so exited I forgot to go look for a canopy.

Only one thing surprised me. For the first time I had to actually fill out actual paperwork to buy a gun. Every place before it was online.

Thanks again everyone.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    @westside bengal, a 10/22 is always a good choice and a great way to get started with a .22 rifle. You'll want either a red dot or scope for that depending on what you want to do with it. If you go with a red dot bigger MOA dots are for quick target acquisition and smaller MOA dots are for accuracy.

If your 10/22 is like the one I bought with no sights it doesn't have the dovetails cut in the barrel for sights (they save a few pennies not doing that machine operation).

This Bushnell red dot is kind of a middle of the road (dot not huge or too small), won't break the bank option. It has pretty good reviews and I've seen a few of these at steel matches (but most people move on to something better as in more $$$). I haven't used one.

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    Ruger SR22’s are fantastic in my opinion. I’ve had two different generations and both have handled everything I’ve thrown at them. I have never shot a Ruger target style pistol, but have shot the S&W Victory with the carbon fiber barrel(performance center version possibly??), and have wanted one ever since. That victory will be my next 22 purchase.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I think you find a rifle that fits your budget, and your needs/wants as far as action type and accuracy. Nearly any rifle is accurate, so long as you either try different factory loads until you find what it "likes", or handload for it. (Does anyone handload .22lr)?

Top Bottom