• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    The only 22LR gun I have is a Ruger American Compact. I bought it teach the grandkids how to shoot and it has worked out well for that. Over the last few years before the Pandemic I stashed away quite a bit 22LR ammo. It's probably 50% Federal Bulk and %50 Federal Automatch and CCI. I always intended to buy something else for me but never did. With things starting to loosen up a bit I wanted to try to pick something up when available.

1st choice is a 10/22. I will admit it is probably dumb of me not to already have one. I might want to customize it so I am guessing the basic carbine is good enough? Most gun shops I have looked have 1 of something in stock every once in a while.

2nd choice might be a pistol. My Dad used to have a Ruger Mark something when I was a kid but sold it because he hated to take it apart. The Mark IV might be a different story.

The Federal Bulk 22LR ammo works fine in the Ruger American so for the other gun I want something that will shoot the Automatch and CCI. It it can also shoot the 22LR bulk that is a plus.

I would like anyone's thoughts on these gun or any other guns I should consider?

Thanks

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    My 10/22 is a little picky with ammo but my Ruger Standard (Mark 1 without adjustable sights) eats anything. Practice field strip about 4 or 5 times (lots of you tube videos showing various methods) and you can field strip as quick as a glock. All you need is a paperclip. Should be able to find one for under $250 even now and they last forever (mine was born in 1955).
    a buddy of mine has a walther P22 Q that seems reliable and fun (but I like steel pistols).

10/22s can be had new for about $220 plus shipping.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    10/22's are amazing fun and useful for a lot of different things.

Having said that, 22/45 is from what I hear also a lot of fun to shoot.

Since you already have the long gun I think I'd probably go with the pistol. But I don't think any of your options is a bad one.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    Most of my .22 stuff was hand-me-downs from family. The old Remington Speedmaster is fun but not particularly accurate. 10/22 is definitely on my radar as rifles go.

I have had a Ruger MkIII and can confirm the takedown is yuck. I really want a MK IV due to the relative ease in that respect. For thrifty fun and zero ammo pickiness I recomment the Ruger Wrangler. There just a certain fun element of plinking with a 'cowboy' gun. The SA loading takes time sure. Slow down and enjoy it. Father's Day this year was completely made for me when both of my kids shot the Wrangler with me. It's just fun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    a 10/22 is a must. especially if you want to customize.
    -If you are going to install a bull barrel, buy the cheapest one with the nylon stock. its disposable after all.
    -If you arent going to swap barrels, but the one with the stock you like and start upgrading.

I'll suggest the GSG 1911-22 for a handgun. Its the next on my list. Great little guns once you swap the guide rod. They are the exact same guns as the more expensive Sig 1911-22. Literally the only difference is the roll mark. Haven has one and its a dream to shoot. A friend bought one on Haven's suggestion and had trouble with it until he replaced the rod. now its a solid shooter.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Neither of my Ruger Mark IVs are picky about ammo. Hollow point ammo sometimes is an issue, but they run anything with a round nose.

My 10/22 and M&P 15-22 are both fun rifles and they both are very reliable.

I've been looking at the Browning Buck Mark Hunter, but have no experience with them.

I've also had that GSG 1911-22 on my list. I've seen them at Rural King, but not recently.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Wow, there are so many good 22s out there today it’s really hard to narrow it done to just a few.
    For long guns I love my CZs the most, both the 452 bolt guns and the semi autos, but also really like my Marlin 39s, Remington 513 and 541T, Norinco K98T and the old US trainers. I have some wacky Russian Olympic 22 Target gun I’ve never shot and a nice Winchester 75. I picked up one of the STG44 22s that’s kinda cool too. I do have one old 10/22 just because it’s sorta mandatory to have at least one. Lol.
    For handguns my favorites are the S&W 41s. Those things are phenomenal shooters! The Ruger MKIIs come next in accuracy for me. I have a Colt Service Model Ace that’s a good shooter and a few old Colt Woodsman of different varieties. A Sig P220 22 that shoots surprisingly well too. Love plinking with a Walther PP22. The newest one I have is a S&W M&P 22 and it’s a very nice shooter too.
    As far as revolvers go the S&W Mod 17 is one of my favorite shooters as is the Mod 648 in 22 Magnum. I have a Colt Officers Match in 22 but have never shot it.
    I’m sure there are others that I haven’t mentioned but you get the idea, I like my 22s!
    As far as ammo goes most of my guns shoot CCI SV and Federal AutoMatch fairly well. I have tried most 22 stuff from super cheap to really expensive but the CCI and Federal work fine for me so I stick to them. I don’t like the cheap Remington or Winchester stuff simply because my guns don’t like them very well.
    I’m always interested in 22s and keep my eye out for a few that have escaped me, like the CZ Kadet.
    Try different models and see what you like. A decent 22 is always handy thing to have around.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I love my 22/45 MK2 target I bought off my step brothers from their dads estate. I ended up going the Tandemkross and/or Volquartsen route( can't remember) with upgrades and she's a fine shooter at 25yds. My cousin's bf loves the trigger on it and wants me to work on his when he buys one.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I have a Browning Buckmark that is hard to beat. Feels good in the hand, not picky about ammo, and very accurate. I also have an older Ruger Mark 1 that is a tank. Probably 70+ years old and still is as solid as the day it was built. Yes, takedown is a challenge at best, but a classic pistol none the less. You can't go wrong with either of them. And just to make sure revolvers are represented, throw in a 9 shot, top break H&R Deluxe Sportsman. What a fun revolver! And it is the easiest gun to clean. Cylinder comes out with ease. Doesn't get any better.

Enjoy your search!

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    Neither of my Ruger Mark IVs are picky about ammo. Hollow point ammo sometimes is an issue, but they run anything with a round nose.

My 10/22 and M&P 15-22 are both fun rifles and they both are very reliable.

I've been looking at the Browning Buck Mark Hunter, but have no experience with them.

I've also had that GSG 1911-22 on my list. I've seen them at Rural King, but not recently.
    I forgot all about the M&P15-22! I have one in the safe I haven't fired yet. I guess I need to do that. Good to know yours is reliable. Hopefully mine is equally reliable.

Also good to know about the GSG. I have played with a friend's SIG and did not know the only difference was the roll mark. Interesting.

jwleeper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    .22s are just plain fun. I have several rifles and pistols. Ammo is cheaper too buy than most and will become available quicker than most. I only shoot the high power stuff to get sighted in and to hunt or carry. .22s are the main staple for practice and fun. When ammo becomes available be sure to get a supply. You can't beat a .22 for kids to learn and have fun with. Just what this old man does.
    Have a great day.
    Jim

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'll throw a couple different handgun options that haven't been mentioned:

1) S&W Victory 22. Very similar to the Mark IV except I prefer it over the Rugers. I have 2 Mark IV's and 3 Victory's and I've had less issues with the Victory handguns. Plus it's super easy to switch out the barrel for a Volquartsen barrel, which is pretty sweet. They are generally $50 to $100 less than a comparable Mark IV.

2) Taurus TX-22. Compact sized striker fired polymer handgun that is relatively inexpensive and a great training 22. Mine has run fine with every type of ammo I've tried and it's very accurate. Not a bullseye pistol, but they have a competition version if you want that.

Top Bottom