• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I too have a customized PPQ that I absolutely love, but I place myself squarely in the Pro-PDP camp. Why?

• I have always avoided firearms that require me to learn a new manual of arms to operate, which is why I waited until the m2 version of the PPQ came to the market. As superior as paddle releases may be, if they are different than everything else I own, then why risk it for high stress situations?
    • The slide's aggressive serrations work for me. I like the look, and you can see where the slide's metal comes inward wherever it lacks these serrations. This simply means a more solid purchase on the slide with gloves or even wet hands. The new slide is also lighter than the PPQ slide even though it appears beefier.
    • I don't think that anyone would need to explain why the new grip texture is light years ahead of the PPQ. Anyone who has owned a PPQ knows that the grip feels just like textured bar of soap when the hands get sweaty.
    • I am really digging the new aesthetics and it is clear that Walther is aiming to grab more LEO and military contracts with the PDP. If I had to characterize the PPQ and the PDP i would express it like this: The PPQ is like a wealthy German sipping brandy from a crystal snifter by the fireplace, whereas the PDP is like a German blue-collar worker sitting down at the local beer-hall drinking from his 1 liter beer stein after work. (If you don't think the PPQ is like the snooty German, just look at the Black Tie versions. I know which one will get the attention of the military and LEO buyers.)
    My lovely custom PPQ M2 5" that will soon have a brawny PDP stable mate:
    PO9vc0Jl.jpg
    All my serious use handguns are paddle mag release, so that's what I'm used to and what I know.
    I just don't like the beefed up slide for the same reason I dislike glocks. It feels like a 2x4 in your waist band. The PPQ struck a perfect balance with its taper making it extremely comfortable. And since this is what I carry year around every single day, I'd rather it be more comfortable even if it's less grippy.
    UQaS98o.jpg

The grip changes are great though, but in all honesty I haven't had problems with the normal PPQ texture. Glock's RTF2 will always be the gold standard for grip texture and I don't see anyone ever doing that again.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    All my serious use handguns are paddle mag release, so that's what I'm used to and what I know.
    I just don't like the beefed up slide for the same reason I dislike glocks. It feels like a 2x4 in your waist band. The PPQ struck a perfect balance with its taper making it extremely comfortable. And since this is what I carry year around every single day, I'd rather it be more comfortable even if it's less grippy.
    UQaS98o.jpg

The grip changes are great though, but in all honesty I haven't had problems with the normal PPQ texture. Glock's RTF2 will always be the gold standard for grip texture and I don't see anyone ever doing that again.
    Is that some sort of rear sight machined in with the red dot plate?

NoGoJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2021
    Zionsville
    Very impressed with Walther since I won that PPQ.

That .22 thing did not impress me but the 9MMs are solid choices. Very happy to see Walther get the exposure in North America. They are huge in South America and Europe for a reason.
    Agreed, the PPQ M2 9mm is a very solid pistol and it would do Walther good to make some inroads into the USA.... not sure about Canada since they appear to me moving towards a "gun free" state.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    ^^^
    So he is not using the Walther plate designed for the pistol, check the comments section he is getting torn apart.

Below is the SF mounting interface for reference if anyone wants to put up the PDP's

5s97ZQMh.jpg

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    So he is not using the Walther plate designed for the pistol, check the comments section he is getting torn apart.
    He might not be right about the system being inevitably prone to breakage, but he is right about shear forces and the superiority of a lug and notch system. You don't even need an engineering degree to understand that, it's basic common sense. Might not be a huge issue for back and forth movement during recoil if the plate fits snugly enough, but it might be more of a factor in side-to-side strength of the mount if the pistol is dropped.

I'd like to see a PDP without a red dot cut/plate. Don't need it, don't want it. Messes up the aesthetics of the pistol as well.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    He might not be right about the system being inevitably prone to breakage, but he is right about shear forces and the superiority of a lug and notch system. You don't even need an engineering degree to understand that, it's basic common sense. Might not be a huge issue for back and forth movement during recoil if the plate fits snugly enough, but it might be more of a factor in side-to-side strength of the mount if the pistol is dropped.

I'd like to see a PDP without a red dot cut/plate. Don't need it, don't want it. Messes up the aesthetics of the pistol as well.
    The lug system is definitely better IMHO, that being said I have somewhat of a hard time believing Walther would screw up such a major part of the pistol (generally speaking). Especially considering the PPQ and SF guns had a perfectly viable and good IMHO system (though the aluminum plates from Walther could use an upgrade).

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The guy in the video buys a Chinese plate and expects it to represent a problem that exists with Walther's engineering... Pleeease!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The guy in the video buys a Chinese plate and expects it to represent a problem that exists with Walther's engineering... Pleeease!
    Is the aftermarket plate substantially different in the manner that it attaches to the slide? The potential issue is with the fasteners (screws) bearing all of the shear forces, not where the plate is made.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You are sold on what this guy is selling. We get it.
    I really don’t give a **** either way, because I don’t use red dots on pistols. Just sharing some information for those who are interested in the PDP. If it upsets some fanboys, oh well.

Are you going to address the shear force potential issue, or are you just going to pout?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The question should be, are you just going to pass along an unsubstantiated rumor, based on an untested hypothesis, and then defend it as a fact?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The question should be, are you just going to pass along an unsubstantiated rumor, based on an untested hypothesis, and then defend it as a fact?
    Rumor? It is a fact that a lug and notch system is inherently stronger than a system of two interfacing surfaces of the same material held in place only by screws, with regards to the ability to withstand shear force. Whether this is a problem with this particular application remains to be seen, as I stated clearly in my post.

Since you won't address the point being made, and only want to whine about "untested hypothesis," I'll just go ahead and put you down for "pout."

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    So now it's up to me to disprove his unproven theory about the shear forces on the screws, which he himself has not proven?

The only one in this thread who seems to be anywhere close to pouting is you. I did not type an emotional "****" outburst, nor did I use a pejorative term like "fanboi" to describe anyone who has an opposing position, and until this response, I never attacked anyone personally with a description like "whining" and "pouting".

Top Bottom