• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Piobair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    NWI
    My wife had her wallet stolen in Chcago today. I canceled her credit and debit cards, but not before someone ran several hundred dollars in charges, apparently for 30-day unlimited CTA passes.

There was no checkbook or social security card, but she did lose her DL. Just in case, I also put a 90-day fraud alert on her credit reports.

Anything else I'm missing, that I should be doing?

Piobair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    NWI
    I figured as much. There was also a $72 charge at a CITGO station... I'm guessing cigarettes, also for sale/trade goods.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I am assuming someone asked where the wallet was.?

For the OP good that you got everything canceled quickly. Hope it all works out well.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    On that link they say put a $20 in your fake wallet.That's like 800 dollars if you have 40 mugger's wallets! :faint:

I fill mine with hundreds of trillions of dollars and just tell them I'm an albino Zimbabwean visiting America for the first time.

dehqrgD.jpg

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Cool. Looks like I already covered everything on that list.

A huge thing that looks like it's missing from that list is the Security Freeze. It's free for Indiana residents (although not for residents of some other states). No one will be able to pull your credit report while it's frozen.

You go to each credit bureaus web site to initiate. After initiation, you get a code to unfreeze your file when needed. For example, if you want to buy a new car, you unfreeze your reports, buy your car, and refreeze after. All the links are on the IN AG's web site:

Security Freeze

Placing a fraud alert, opting out of prescreened credit offers, and placing a security freeze with the credit bureaus are pretty standard steps.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Chicago! The ex lived and worked in the suburbs of Chicago but had to go "downtown" occasionally. When she was new up there they warned her to never leave a car window open or door unlocked while driving in "the city". Traffic lights were a prime location for the thieves. Just another reason to avoid The Windy City...............as if another was needed!

Good thing you discovered the theft before they could get serious about spending your money.

Top Bottom