• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Some of my deerstands are deep in the woods and i get in super early. Its almost pitch black. I was wondering if anyone here knows the rules about using night vision to walk in to a stand. Its head mounted and i only bow hunt. In the rules it states no thermal for hunting, but doesnt say anything about using NVGs to get to my stand. Obviously not worth it if its illegal, but i spent a ton of money to see in the dark.... lol id like to use it.

Hoosierdaddy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2015
    Camby
    I’d pass too! Unless it’s cloud covered, once my eyes adjust, I can get to my stands without any light, mainly use a flashlight to keep some DA from shooting me….

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    If my stand is a long walk in I usually put on a headlamp with a dark red light that barely shows up a couple steps in front of me. It’s so dark you can’t see someone using it if you’re away from em a little.

Otherwise I just go lightless. If the moon is up it gives a pretty good ambient light that is good enough to navigate to the stand.

Try to go a week or so before you’re hunting that stand and clear your path to it of sticks if you can. Don’t clear everything because then it looks used, just clear the sticks so you’re not crunching **** you can’t see on your way in. If you can’t clear it try to be in the stand extra early.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That sounds like either a very expensive solution to a problem that could be solved by simply keeping your flashlight pointed directly at the ground instead of waving it around wildly OR a very good excuse to use your new toy.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    That sounds like either a very expensive solution to a problem that could be solved by simply keeping your flashlight pointed directly at the ground instead of waving it around wildly OR a very good excuse to use your new toy.
    I’ve had them for a year. Use them for coyote hunting and night shooting all the time. Lol just looking for an excuse to use them. But I agree with others saying I should let my eyes adjust. I was kind of wondering about it more on the “legal” side.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't see in the dark as well as I used to so I allow it to get a little lighter in the morning so I can move quietly.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Honestly, having spent quite a bit of time around various CO’s: I wouldn’t even have the NVG in the vehicle with me during deer season.

If they find you in season with firearm(s), night vision, ammo, camo gear, and—Godhelpyou—a dead deer…

…my money is on you having a bad day.

Hoosierdaddy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2015
    Camby
    I read your post and got curious, so I texted a buddy who is a CO. You can use NV to navigate to the stand. You can not use NV to assist in harvest in any way
    That sounds fair and legit. If they expect you’ll follow the law and not shoot a deer with a HPR during bow season, surely using night vision to get to your stand would be legal.

ex… I carry a rifle for killing yotes, during archery and perfectly legal.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    With that said, I would assume it would help your cause that you dont have the ability to mount it to a rifle with you. If you cant mount it to a rifle, a little common sense would tell folks you cant use it to shoot a deer.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If my stand is a long walk in I usually put on a headlamp with a dark red light that barely shows up a couple steps in front of me. It’s so dark you can’t see someone using it if you’re away from em a little.

Otherwise I just go lightless. If the moon is up it gives a pretty good ambient light that is good enough to navigate to the stand.

Try to go a week or so before you’re hunting that stand and clear your path to it of sticks if you can. Don’t clear everything because then it looks used, just clear the sticks so you’re not crunching **** you can’t see on your way in. If you can’t clear it try to be in the stand extra early.
    Leaf blower makes a path you can follow quietly. And the deer will use it too.

The path, not the leaf blower.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Leaf blower makes a path you can follow quietly. And the deer will use it too.

The path, not the leaf blower.
    I’ve always heard that, I just don’t want it completely clear to my stand because we’ve had trespassers steal our **** before, a perfectly clear pathway will lead them right to it.

I’ve had mushroom hunters walk within feet of me while turkey hunting, then tell me they have permission to be here. Then they act mad when you explain to them only 2 people give permission for this property and I know me or him didn’t.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I learned a trick years ago to help me get to the stand eazy peezy.
    I've never told anyone my solution before, but it's time to pass the knowledge on.

My approach is simple really, I just go to TSC and pick up a couple bags of this stuff. Leave a nice heavy trail to your stand and you can follow it easily. I usually tag out in a couple of days so you don't even have to refresh the trail

1634915052274.png

You're Welcome.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Some of my deerstands are deep in the woods and i get in super early. Its almost pitch black. I was wondering if anyone here knows the rules about using night vision to walk in to a stand. Its head mounted and i only bow hunt. In the rules it states no thermal for hunting, but doesnt say anything about using NVGs to get to my stand. Obviously not worth it if its illegal, but i spent a ton of money to see in the dark.... lol id like to use it.

I can't say what the game cops would say, but light intensifiers aren't thermal...

But then again, I know a little bit about the subject and not completely illerate on the subject like cops, judges & lawmakers aften are.

I'd write (or email) DNR and ask for an official ruling, copy it and keep it with my NV.

Top Bottom