• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but putting it here to start with... :)
    Does anyone carry or use a walking stick or cane that can be used as a close-quarters, defensive weapon?
    If so, what type and why?
    What is it made of - aluminum, polypropylene, wood, steel, etc.?
    Does it have a traditional grip / handle or something different such as a knob for a handle?
    Did you receive training for it's use?
    Thinking about adding a polymer one to my daily carry and was curious as to others experience and/or knowledge has been?
    Thank you!

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I have a number of options. In canes I carry a aluminum, Alaskan diamond willow or oak.
    In staffs I carry oak, cedar or hickory.
    No formal training but I've bought a couple books over the years and have watched a number of videos.
    20210830_091419.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_083831.jpg
      IMG_20200603_083831.jpg
      129.7 KB · Views: 53

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Seen these at NRA show.

I would choose a grey man option for less scrutiny although most people pay no attention to their surroundings. Although I did notice Magyars stunning toe nail polish.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    When I hiked more extensively, I had a top piece of a river birch. I sanded and cut a handle for my hand for grip and inserted a compass on the top. I’ve had this for over 25 years and the hiking stick is still intact.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My thoughts are that you had better have a plan B in case someone younger and stronger takes it away and punishes you with it. Of course, that is, unless you are Bat Masterson as portrayed by Gene Barry.

Reactions: Leo

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have a walnut stick that I made from waste wood back in 1978. Carved with the 4 elements and has a screw insert in the end that can hold a spear point, which I bring along on backpack trips. It has been on MANY trails around the country, including several flights. Latest additions - brands from Philmont.

It used to be as tall as me, but the end broke off while we were trying to scare bears away from our camp in the Smokies back in 1988.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've had a couple 72" hiking/walking sticks over the years...leather, hand-wrapped grip area, metal base with rubber tip, leather strap, etc...back when I did some real backpacking and hiking!
    Over the past 15 years, I haven't had anything in the form of a hand-to-hand weapon...although I had some training 25+ years ago...just some refresher training and skill practice to get part of it back.
    I ordered a Cold Steel African Walking Stick...at least it'll give me a simple cane to lean on when I need it!

Last edited:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Mine are wood, and help when going over rough pavement. Woods tool for sure, and mine has paracord wrap handle, small button compass, and some really pretty artwork looks like a rabbit.
    Fleabay auction item and I paid $25 including shipping. Wifey has one with sunset engraving, same wrapping, and button compass. Hers was closer to $40, both are used daily.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Oak wooden "hook" style cane for urban day to day use. Nice balance and no one bats an eye when they see it They just assume that I am another "old man" out there. With a bit of training, it is a very effective close quarter defensive weapon, but "they " don't need to know that. Just be sure that you measure it and size it to fit you properly. Otherwise , it can give you shoulder and spinal problems.

Out hiking or simply walking thru the woods, a good 72" solid oak or hickory walking stick is hard to beat. Far superior to a cane in rougher terrain.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    In looking around online, I quickly became convinced that no one would buy the 'walking stick' theory if I were to carry one of these...just sayin'...and in my honest opinion??? Pretty wicked-looking club! (Note: I didn't even know there was a modern day, or polypropylene version, of the old Indian War Club!)

Attachments

• 1633688824988.png
      1633688824988.png
      822.7 KB · Views: 8
    Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Nice pedicure Mags.
    I'm more impressed he waxes his toes, too. He's apparently quite the metrosexual. (Nice, tasteful color too.) :):

I'll take that over the dudes with nasty, fungus ridden toenails that look like they could climb trees with them. I used to work for a guy that loved his Birkenstocks. Wore them ALL the time. Probably 9 months out of the year. (except when it was slushy and nasty outside) And man, his toes were GROSS!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom