• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    While working on this Aston Dragoon pistol I thought about the story of Captain Samuel Walker and his connection to Sam Colt. His specification to Sam was for a revolver like the Patterson but powerful enough to drop a horse at 50 yards and I wondered where he might have come up with that. Astons are big burly thick barreled single shots made for the US Dragoons, accurate for a smooth bore and spitting a 50 caliber plus ball. Certainly enough to put a hole through a horse at 50 yards. I thought perhaps he might have been familiar with them, being a handgun in use at the time.

Alas Captain Walker never lives to see his namesake revolver's future, being killed in battle in 1847. The Walker Colt moves on to a successful career, but is more of a forerunner of things to come for Sam Colt who gets a much needed boost from it's sales. The original Walker becomes the stuff of legends and film, Texas governor Abbott naming it the official handgun of Texas in 2021.

The Aston in the picture is now ready to go, only waiting for a mold to cast up some correctly sized balls.

Hamilton-Captain-Samuel-Walker.jpg astonwalker.jpg

Top Bottom