• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Background: in the 1990's I carried my Beretta in a Galco Miami Classic Shoulder holster with a horizontal holster. Because of the muzzle direction pointing behind me, I developed the habit of carrying safety on and disengaging the safety on the draw.

Then as I started taking training classes and wearing a Safariland retention holster, I let the DA be my safety and carried with the safety off.

So anyway, I started looking at some shoulder holsters with a vertical holster.

Anyone have any experience at draw speed from horizontal vs vertical shoulder rigs?

Anyone have any real life stories/info that would speak to safety issues of horizontal vs vertical?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I am wearing a Galco shoulder rig now and have owned several. If it's for concealment of a large frame gun, I would go with a vertical holster. I believe it is easier drawing from the horizontal position.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am wearing a Galco shoulder rig now and have owned several. If it's for concealment of a large frame gun, I would go with a vertical holster. I believe it is easier drawing from the horizontal position.
    Are the spider harnesses interchangeable? I still have my Miami Classic spider harness. I saw I can buy a Galco VHS4.0 vertical holster on the Galco website.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    As far as I know, the harnesses are interchangeable. I know I change my summer carry package to winter shortly and I use the same harness, just replace holster and magazine holder.

I just looked. A few of their vertical systems use the same harness I use but others don't, so it will depend on the kind you want.

Last edited:

hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Is there any concern about the horizontal holster pointing your gun at a person behind you? I have a Galco Miami Vice holster and love it. However, I find myself always conscious of what is behind me for that reason. I know the trigger is covered and the gun cannot go off, but it is always in the back of mind.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Is there any concern about the horizontal holster pointing your gun at a person behind you? I have a Galco Miami Vice holster and love it. However, I find myself always conscious of what is behind me for that reason. I know the trigger is covered and the gun cannot go off, but it is always in the back of mind.
    When I carried my 92 in the Halco that was why I carried with safety on. With the Beretta DA trigger and some training, I no longer have that concern.

I would be hesitant to carry my 1911 that way but I don't really use it as a carry, I carry all da/safety hammer guns.

Top Bottom