• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm curious as well. I'd like to learn some more evasive maneuvers in a controlled environment.

I bet such classes are $$ though.

I know a few classes for defensive driving around here offered to non-LEOs.
    It's mainly for bodyguard and private security.
    You pretty much learn to do all the things you learned NOT to do during regular driving school (hit pedestrians :):, other cars, drive fast in reverse ...etc).
    They also teach you counter ambush techniques with students shooting at your car with paintball guns.

image2-b.jpg

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I would have had some input until I realized this was that one of those self proclaimed "expert training god's" thread. :noway:

I was so close too.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Always back in?

I don't understand the people that "have" to back-in to parking spots. about 40% of the people I work with do this and 90% of those that do can't do it straight, or in the center of the spot. Then the next person skips a spot and parks front-in first. That mean if I park in the empty spot I have a driver's side door on both sides of me.

I understand if you want to do it in your own garage, or driveway. but at work you have to back-up either way. I also don't mind if people "pull-through" in store parking lots because they can usually do that straight.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The faster you can go from rolling vehicle to out of it and visa versa, the better off you are. Sitting still you are trapped and maybe strapped in a cage, thus vulnerable.

Seat belts come off and go on at the street, not in the parking lot.

When possible, park far in the back of the lot away from other vehicles. The visuals are better from every angle, including whoever might be following you.

When anyone is around your car, walk on by until they move, no matter who they seem to be.

Pepper spray stowed at each front visor.

When aggressive sorts flip you the bird, smile and wave (like you are a clueless idiot.) Then evade.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't understand the people that "have" to back-in to parking spots. about 40% of the people I work with do this and 90% of those that do can't do it straight, or in the center of the spot. Then the next person skips a spot and parks front-in first. That mean if I park in the empty spot I have a driver's side door on both sides of me.

I understand if you want to do it in your own garage, or driveway. but at work you have to back-up either way. I also don't mind if people "pull-through" in store parking lots because they can usually do that straight.

That makes two of us. Have you ever notice how much space there is between the two cars you are trying to back up between? Compare that to backing out of a parking spot instead...you have an entire driving lane to back into if you front into the spot to begin with.

I forgot to mention; Always back into the parking spot.
    :D

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Make sure your firearm is readily accessible. Also, keep off your telephone. It provides for bad driving as well as distract you from potential threats.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A couple spring to mind:

--Watch where you park your vehicle.
    --Be courteous behind the wheel.

To expand in these a bit:

There have already been some good thoughts posted regarding parking--some of which I had in mind when I jotted that statement down. A couple more, to expand on them, have more to do with property safety than personal safety. One idea is when parking in a lot, I try to park on the downhill side of an island or cart corral. This offers a little more space between your car and the congestion of the parking lot, plus it provides a buffer between your car and the ***holes that don't put their carts away.

The other thought is where to park your car if you're going to leave it overnight(s). For example, we have to sometimes travel on company business, with multiple people meeting up and riding in a single car. Many will want to meet at Sam's club or something--leaving their cars there while they're gone. I'm not wild about leaving my car/truck abandoned like that. It really looks like easy pickin's after the store closes. Whenever possible, I'll leave my car at work or have my wife drop off/pick up.

On that courtesy bullet...other people driving around us can be frustrating at times. Very, very, very frustrating. Lord knows I'm not perfect either. So I try to remember to do/not do: use turn signals, dim high beams, don't tail gate, don't lolly-gag in the passing lane, let cell phones affect my driving, etc...the types of things that tick me off and/or you hear of causing road rage incidents. I guess it's the same sort of mindset we hear about in self-defense training: avoid the confrontation.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Someone once suggested that when you pull up behind someone at a traffic light, never pull up so close that you can't see where their tires meet the pavement. That way you leave yourself enough room to move around them if necessary.

I don't know exactly where I heard it first but it has stuck with me.

I was taught that in drivers ed. The reasoning, if you're rear ended, the chances you'll rear end the person in front of you is reduced.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My humble input:

Parking:
    - park nose-out if possible
    - End of a row
    - Doors locked
    - In a lighted area, but I put a preference on a) shortest walk, or b) fewest other cars (less places for folks to hide)
    - remember where you park! Don't go wondering around the lot in a daze.
    - Don't leave anything out. No CDs, iPods, cell chargers, etc... that might tempt someone. Boring cars are safe cars.

Approaching your car:
    - keys out when you walk outside (not fumbling for them). Hold them to strike.
    - Don't cut between cars. Use the sidewalks (avoid getting surprised and getting run over)
    - Observe your car as you approach for any movement
    - Don't dilly-dally. Get in and shut/lock the door. Then mess with your stuff.

Driving:
    - Leave space! Never pull right up behind another car. Leave yourself an out.
    - Same applies while driving. Don't get boxed in. Use the lane that has an available shoulder (left or right - doesn't matter).
    - Signal, be courteous, but efficient. Easiest way to avoid road rage is to simply never be the target.
    - If something is going down, leave. You can't be a target if you aren't there! Traffic laws are totally secondary to your safety. Run the light (if safe), turn on red, speed, pass on the shoulder... whatever it takes to make space.
    - Your car is a HELL of a lot better defensive weapon than anything else. If it is you or him, run 'em down.
    - If followed, drive straight to the nearest police or fire station and LAY on the horn as you pull in. Get on with 911 if needed. Run lights, speed, whatever. Attention at this point is GOOD. Under no circumstances to you go to your office or home! Don't stop or get boxed in.

Two quick stories from my wife:

#1 - She was stopped at a light, and some bum reached through her open sunroof to grab at her (she had a small sport-ish car at the time). She was #1 in line, so just ran the light (made a right turn). Cars scattered, the bum got dragged a few feet, and she stopped about 1/4 mile away to call 911.

#2 - She was driving down a narrow street, and had two "upstanding inner city youths" walking down the middle of the road away from her. As she approached, they turned and blocked the road. One displayed a handgun. She punched it (from about 30-40 feet way). They dove for cover, and she didn't stop until she was well away. Called 911, and the two "gentlemen" were quickly apprehended.

In both cases, she had several other defensive tools available (pepper spray, handgun, etc...), but making space by using the vehicle was the quickest way to remove the threat. Just GO.

That's all I got....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    • Practice getting your seatbelt unbuckled and out of your way as efficiently as possible.
    • You can drive or you can draw and shoot, but you probably can't do both at the same time very well.
    • Practice getting out of the vehicle as quickly and efficiently as possible. In some cases, you may need to de-a** the vehicle without popping your head up, which isn't easy to do since your head automatically pops up when you put your foot on the ground.
    • Know what parts of your vehicle are concealment and which can serve as cover, at least for a while.
    • Understand how projectiles penetrate or fail to penetrate various parts of your vehicle, including windshield, side glass, doors, doors with windows down, etc.
    • Train yourself to not crowd the vehicle when using it for cover or concealment.
    • Practice drawing while seated in your vehicle and learn one of the methods that makes you less likely to point your gun at yourself when doing so.
    That's all I can think of to add right now.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    Are there any tactics for those of us that ride on two wheels?

I just started riding this last season, but here is my :twocents:.

You need to be much more aware of your surroundings. You are almost, if not more, vulnerable as if you were walking, since all of your body is exposed to the environment (and others). And you can't necessarily escape as quickly as someone on foot, especially if you have to ditch the bike, which means you have to hop off of it.

From a safety standpoint, when at a light, always leave the bike in 1st with the clutch in UNTIL the person behind you stops. Then you can pop it in neutral if it is a long light. That way, if the person behind you isn't paying attention and you see that, you can pop on the throttle and ride the clutch to get yourself out of that situation. To be extra safe both safety and people wishing to do you harm, keep the bike in 1st the whole duration.

I would be watchful when stopped and in the far right lane with a sidewalk. Watch for people to make sure they won't "ambush" you because you can be easily overwhelmed on a bike. Not only are you a siting duck, you also can't run right away like a person walking, or drawing a weapon if you are wearing a lot of safety gear. It is also harder to escape on the bike itself, since you can be overwhelmed by the aggressor(s) which can take you and your bike down.

For evasive maneuvers, LEARN YOUR BIKE. Go in a parking lot (with permission of course) and practice quick stops, fast acceleration (where you can accelerate as fast as possible without losing control), leaning, etc. Pretty much what you learn on a bike for normal riding, but in a more "aggressive" manner, just like when police and other people take "aggressive" driving courses to avoid situations.

State specific riding courses, like Indiana ABATE, do offer an advanced riding course to take after taking the basic course. You learn more advanced stuff on a bike (and you have to bring your own). Almost no classroom time, mostly learning things on your bike. Not sure if it is specific to things like this (defense), but it will help make you a better rider.

Top Bottom