• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Please educate me - what practical purpose is there for carrying a long gun into a store other than intimidation or to provoke a response?
    There may not be many practical purposes, but that is far from being someone going in to shoot people.

I've never come across someone carrying a rifle into a store. If I did, I have no hard set rule on what I would do. I would evaluate the situation and decide how to react.

nathantwilson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2016
    Greenwood
    There may not be many practical purposes, but that is far from being someone going in to shoot people.
    Agreed.... the worst intention is to shoot people and certainly not everyone that carries a long gun wants to shoot people. However, I also have no respect for a person that wants to purposefully intimidate or provoke other people using a firearm. And if there's no practical purpose for carrying a long gun into a store I can't come up with another alternative than they're trying to intimidate or provoke just because they legally can. Again, completely open to hearing an alternative opinion but nobody has taken me up on it yet.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Agreed, dont mind the push back. Some people are obsessed with their "rights" without any thought of responsibility. Anyone strutting around in public with an AR or AK needs a mental health check.
    In this day where mass shootings are all too common place, and the public being highly sensitive to guns in general, we need to be ambassadors of sanity from the gun carrying crowd, we need to win the hearts and minds of non gun owners and "exercizing your God given rights" by strutting around like that is moronic.
    I almost always carry concealed, i just makes good sense to keep your card close to your vest.
    Again, dont let the nit pickers get you down, you are 100% right on this. Let the frenzy begin, as if I care...
    First, these shootings are not common, not even close. If they were, a lot of people would be walking around with rifles for protection.

Second, not blanket condemning something is not endorsing it. I also do not blanketly call people moronic because I disagree with them.

I'm sure you are a great ambassador for gun owners keeping those cards close to your vest.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Agreed.... the worst intention is to shoot people and certainly not everyone that carries a long gun wants to shoot people. However, I also have no respect for a person that wants to purposefully intimidate or provoke other people using a firearm. And if there's no practical purpose for carrying a long gun into a store I can't come up with another alternative than they're trying to intimidate or provoke just because they legally can. Again, completely open to hearing an alternative opinion but nobody has taken me up on it yet.
    I do not think intimidate is generally the goal. The ones I have seen or heard of have been in the "I'm going to make a point and educate" group. Some of those end up as provocateurs, some do it in a civil reasoned manner.

One scenario could be having to stop and not wanting to leave a rifle in a vehicle.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I do not think intimidate is generally the goal. The ones I have seen or heard of have been in the "I'm going to make a point and educate" group. Some of those end up as provocateurs, some do it in a civil reasoned manner.

One scenario could be having to stop and not wanting to leave a rifle in a vehicle.
    What's the old saying? "If you wouldnt go there unarmed, you shouldnt go there armed."?

So does the same logic (more or less) apply here? If you are that concerned with somebody breaking into your car, why are you parking it there?

And if you are that concerned for that reason, case it. When I travel with my AR, you wont find me walking through the hotel uncased and slung. That's for sure.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Perhaps, this slung rifle is that gentleman's only firearm at the moment.

Why does the manner in which someone practices their rights always need to be "acceptable" to every other person?
    Certainly you're allowed to disagree with the content or manner of their practice, but that shouldn't be a limitation on them.

Floki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Indiana
    First, these shootings are not common, not even close. If they were, a lot of people would be walking around with rifles for protection.

Second, not blanket condemning something is not endorsing it. I also do not blanketly call people moronic because I disagree with them.

I'm sure you are a great ambassador for gun owners keeping those cards close to your vest.
    blah blah blah

nathantwilson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2016
    Greenwood
    Why does the manner in which someone practices their rights always need to be "acceptable" to every other person?
    Certainly you're allowed to disagree with the content or manner of their practice, but that shouldn't be a limitation on them.
    My disagreeing isn't a limitation on them. It is their right to carry a long arm in public. This entire conversation began because I expressed my choice to remove myself from those situations without a single word spoken.

Intimidation and provocation are the actions of a bully, plain and simple. And the US has a long history of standing up to bullies. We provide military protection to our many allies that cannot stand up for themselves against countries that would otherwise encroach on those allies' liberties. So if a person where to choose to engage in the same kind of behavior as countries like China and Russia and call themselves a patriotic American I'm going to respectfully disagree.

nathantwilson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2016
    Greenwood
    Congratulations on using ANTI-GUNNER arguments.

I'm for my gun.
    But others don't "need" their gun.
    It doesn't appear you've commented on the right thread because nobody here has implied others don't need their guns. I couldn't help but notice you've joined a growing list of users who haven't had the ability to provide an answer to my question: name a practical reason to carry a long gun into a store?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It doesn't appear you've commented on the right thread because nobody here has implied others don't need their guns. I couldn't help but notice you've joined a growing list of users who haven't had the ability to provide an answer to my question: name a practical reason to carry a long gun into a store?
    Anti gunners argue the same.
    What practical reason do you carry your pistol?

And before you say "self defense", they argue you don't need it for that.

So, you are using their argument.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Do I think it's weird to carry a long gun in a Wal Mart? Absolutely. Should my assessment of "weird" be law? No.

Am I at all concerned about what the guy did in this case? No...and if I were to go to Wal Mart (big if) it would have been this one. Just the rifle isn't a big deal to me; more of a eye roll than anything else. I guess there could be plenty of other signs which could raise my....awareness when combined with the rifle.

Floki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Indiana
    Congratulations on using ANTI-GUNNER arguments.

I'm for my gun.
    But others don't "need" their gun.
    Funny, you dare to disagree with the rabid opinions on INGO, you are an ANTI GUNNER! Same kind of tactic used by the left if you dare to disagree, its stale.
    Also intellectually bankrupt. So if you disagree with prancing around in public with an AR15, you are an ANTI GUNNER. Yet nowhere has it been said you should have one. Not ANTI GUNNER, just ANTI IDIOT. Comes down to just because you can do something doesnt mean you should.
    With rights come responsibility.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    blah blah blah
    Well thought out response. Goes well with your slinging insults around.
    Funny, you dare to disagree with the rabid opinions on INGO, you are an ANTI GUNNER! Same kind of tactic used by the left if you dare to disagree, its stale.
    Also intellectually bankrupt. So if you disagree with prancing around in public with an AR15, you are an ANTI GUNNER. Yet nowhere has it been said you should have one. Not ANTI GUNNER, just ANTI IDIOT. Comes down to just because you can do something doesnt mean you should.
    I am guessing that was a typo, but who knows with your ranting. I'm not really sure why you would even want to associate with rabid idiots. :n00b:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I did not say you were an anti gunner.
    I said you are using their argument.
    And you are.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I knew an anti gunner.
    HATED guns.
    Even police with guns.
    That person started getting put in the hospital, more than once.
    Police said, can't be around you week after week.
    Get a gun.
    Person got a pistol, and some training.
    Now, pistols are okay.
    But the "anti gunner" now thinks ONLY pistols are okay.
    There is "no need" for ANY rifles.
    I explained that if they had their way before, they'd never have had a pistol, and they'd be dead.
    And that the same reasoning is what anti gunners are using to try to take the ex-anti gunner's pistol.

If someone isn't breaking the law, causing mayhem or violence, then why are you concerned they want to carry a heavy rifle.

And if they are breaking the law, causing mayhem and violence, is it because of the rifle? Or because they'd do the same with a pistol?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Maybe we need to step back, and look at Salma Hayek?
    Life is not INGO.
    INGO isn't affecting your job, home, food, or family.
    Take a deep breath.
    Argue the point.

6f1ba91e88a186a1e08d96d158a65268.jpg

Top Bottom