Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Here’s UslessA Today’s front page story for today:

“At What Point Should Personal Freedom Yield to the Common Good?”

Curious that they used “yield” in that headline. Metals “yield” whenever tensile or compressive forces are applied to them.

It’s quite the collection of collectivist bilgewater, with multiple implications that the government has the right to do anything it deems necessary to promote “The Public Good” In the face of the COVID-19 ”pandemic”.

What constitutes “The Public Good” is left undefined.

America's debate over pandemic mask and vaccine mandates hinges on an age-old dilemma: When does personal liberty yield to the public interest?
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-pits-liberty-against-common-good/5432614001/

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Except that Public Interest would actually be for the authorities to STFU about this whole thing instead of trying to destroy personal liberty. I think Liberty is much more important than "saving us from ourselves" against a virus with a huge chance of surviving without the vaccine or masks.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Here’s UslessA Today’s front page story for today:

“At What Point Should Personal Freedom Yield to the Common Good?”

Curious that they used “yield” in that headline. Metals “yield” whenever tensile or compressive forces are applied to them.

It’s quite the collection of collectivist bilgewater, with multiple implications that the government has the right to do anything it deems necessary to promote “The Public Good” In the face of the COVID-19 ”pandemic”.

What constitutes “The Public Good” is left undefined.

America's debate over pandemic mask and vaccine mandates hinges on an age-old dilemma: When does personal liberty yield to the public interest?
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-pits-liberty-against-common-good/5432614001/
    Unsurprisingly, that article is fantastic hit piece espousing the communist party line, and is so full of lies, mistruths and creative framing that it’s simply appalling.

“Even as the pandemic highlights our mutual dependence, it is striking how little solidarity and shared sacrifice it has called forth,” he noted. “The pandemic caught us unprepared – logistically and medically, but also morally. … (It) arrived at just the wrong moment – amid toxic politics, incompetent leadership and fraying social bonds.”

And people think this is a coincidence? Rule #39 folks....there are no coincidences.

It’s drivel like this that is destroying the foundation of our country.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    What sends up red flags for me is that anything online that shows how unsafe the vaccines are, gets deleted. It’s almost like the media/big tech/gov doesn’t want anyone to know the risks. Which I don’t see how anyone can dispute the fact that there ARE risks.
    Just curious...which risks are you referring to specifically?

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I wouldn't be in that much of a hurry to grant Ph.Ds enhanced authority. Not only does knowledge become more specialized and narrow at that level, but the area of knowledge, such as psychiatry or psychology for instance, may not be particularly useful for judging hard science

I would like to see companion numbers from that cohort of what percentage believe they have gluten allergies or that living near HVT lines increases their risk of cancer

Both Watson and Pauling, both brilliant Ph.Ds in their field, had some pretty off the wall beliefs outside of them. Even Luc Montangier, a virologist and Nobel laureate I've quoted recently, while having undeniable chops in his specialty, is said to be a believer in homeopathy (I have not investigated the claim)

While viewing them in aggregate might mute some of the sideband craziness, I think using them as a datapoint might do more to prove that appeal to authority is correctly identified as a fallacy than anything else
    That was actually the point. If PhDs don’t trust the science, what power does “science-denier” labels truly have? So if scientists distrust the science I find that astonishing in the face of a common pejorative. It’s a testimony against the value of the claim.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That was actually the point. If PhDs don’t trust the science, what power does “science-denier” labels truly have? So if scientists distrust the science I find that astonishing in the face of a common pejorative. It’s a testimony against the value of the claim.
    Not all PhD's are scientists. You can have a liberal arts PhD too, or in any number of fields.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    See? Now this is a verifiable thing, and a good reason why people who tend to be temperamentally skeptical of things like this anyway. Inconsistency makes people believe, at best that TPTB are incompetent, and at worst are malevolent. People can tell the difference between being pissed on and rain.

SOME people can tell....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This is the kind of thing that people can be ingaged with who aren't experts enough in biology to engage in the technical arguments. Like with Global Warming, I don't know the climate science, but I can look for logically consistent arguments and I can also detect when people are trying to hide something. A major reason why I don't trust TPTB on vaccine efficacy/safty is that they try to silence scientists who state opinions that go against TPTB. If you act like you're hiding something, it's reasonable to suspect that you're hiding something.

These are 4 minimum steps I think need to be taken to help the public regain trust.

1. Fire Fauci - no one but the sycophantic yes-people believe him. He's incapable of reaching skeptics. He's earned every ounce of their distrust
    2. TPTB must be transparent. Admit all the things that are true and not true
    3. Stop the campaign against expert dissenters and allow full public discourse between experts of differing opinions
    4. Stop the campaign to smear people who are reluctant to be vaccinated. It only stokes more fear and distrust
    5. Stop making everything political and then complain about it being politicized by the other side.
    Those are all things that make me think that TPTB are not to be trusted.

Where's the spectacle in that?;)

No apostates to denounce, no witch trials for media, no social torture sessions to bring heretics back into the fold?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom