• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Yesterday made 40 years since I graduated from high school. 23 May 1982, long before a solution in search of a problem called the Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990 was signed into law.

The parking lots had pickups, the pickups had gun racks, the gun racks had guns. Nobody ever got shot.
    Right behind you. Funny, the guns in the pickups never concerned me. Forced Busing however, now that was an issue. By middle school, I was carrying a blade almost every day. I started training with intensity.

I never, ever, thought that the teachers were going to keep me safe.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    It’s time for the federal government to fund grants for every school district in the nation to provide an armed trained officer in our schools. There are many retired police and military personnel that would be a good fit for this. Not resource officers but strictly armed trained personnel.
    :nailbite::runaway: "OH NO!! He wants to put toxic masculinity into our schools! He must be a Racist!"

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have personal knowledge about Uvalde, TX as I spent time there for weeks at a stretch. I have Facebook friends who live there now. It has a population of just over 16,000. There is a Border Patrol Station in Uvalde, so it is no surprise that the officer who put an end to this horrific event was a Border Patrol Agent . There is a large hispanic population there and the vast majority are decent, hard-working people. By far, the vast majority are loyal American citizens. Many of the Border Patrol Agents are hispanic. Uvalde has a lot of people living there who are people of faith. I cannot fathom the mindset of a person who would take the lives of innocent people, especially young children. The impact of this on the community is immeasurable because, if not directly related to a victim, many, many people will intimately know them or a relative. As a side note, Texas has a law in place which allows individual teachers, who are trained, to have access to a firearm. I don't know whether or not this school participated in the program.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I'm waiting on the details. Three in particular:

1. What is it that the shooter originally set out to do? Seems he obviously had something in mind when he left the house.
    2. Why was LE chasing him in the first place? Because of his Grandma? A tip or investigation?
    3. How did he get into the school, and was it the Cafeteria or something? Lots of kids and staff, different ages.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    As a parent, I couldn't just walk into my kids school. How the f*** did this a**hat @#%^* just run in and start shooting!!!?

I don't have any problem with locked doors (maybe one into office, then buzzed into elswhere?). No problem with armed SRO's. No problem with dragging the shooters corps around town behind a truck.

All the schools here lock their doors. They are actually somewhat difficult to get into, especially in a situation like this where entering the school doesn't appear to have been pre-planned.

We only have one SRO, and that is for six schools.

The flip side to having SROs in every school is there really isn't enough work to keep an officer busy or occupied during the day, so you're paying for someone to sit around waiting for an incident that is statistically very unlikely to happen... especially in an elementary school. It wouldn't bother me for the government to use the money they steal from me to use on that other than some of the other ridiculous things they waste it on.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Let's be real for a moment. Let's say a gunman intent on causing casualties gets to a busy cafeteria quickly and totally unexpected. Does anyone think that an armed teacher, officer, or anyone, is going to prevent the killing. Maybe limit the scope of the carnage, but not prevent it.

Seems to me so far that locked doors and reliable air conditioning are the primary tools for this particular job.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Let's be real for a moment. Let's say a gunman intent on causing casualties gets to a busy cafeteria quickly and totally unexpected. Does anyone think that an armed teacher, officer, or anyone, is going to prevent the killing. Maybe limit the scope of the carnage, but not prevent it.

Seems to me so far that locked doors and reliable air conditioning are the primary tools for this particular job.
    Yes, as I have worked for school shooters, I can tell you they would pick other targets.

The law aids and abets the murderers.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

You are correct. An SROs (or anyone) job in this case would be purely reactionary, which means the violence would likely have already started before one realizes there is even a problem.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Does anybody here have a home alarm system for which they put a sign in their yard or sticker in their window?

If so, why?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Not sure if this photo collage is accurate (but hey it's the internet).

No surprise this kid has mental issues and was likely bullied.

View attachment 202232

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    The unmanned school in reference to Resource Officers is a joke. Aren't children and students worth the budget of safety and protection?
    School boards full of educated people better get their heads screwed on straight.
    Violent people exist!
    Hire some retired military or LEO's, armed of course, and raise the Security level a notch or two.
    If the violence is stopped by armed Security, let the students learn in a safe classroom.Schools have lots of budget... you all pay for it every year in your taxes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Of course he was.

He was whatever you think is wrong with America: Godless, trans, white male, racist, immigrant, vegan, meat eater, bullied... Project whatever you want at this point.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I agree. The first line of defense that should be addressed is fortifying entrances and make it more difficult for a shooter to gain access.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom