• USPSA Shooter: do you carry a gun?

• Total voters

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I carry Morning noon and night. I have a 1911 on a rope for the shower. (ever seen the movie : " I spit on your grave" ).:draw:

Ok well this is 90% true. You guess which part. :D

That's just silly. Everyone knows Glocks exist specifically for hanging on a rope or hook in the shower.

sdunsworth

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Columbus
    Before work moved me to IL, I carried when not at work and shot 6 matches a year. Did I shoot my carry rig, a few times in the beginning. Trained separately with carry rig. My competition and carry guns have similar controls. I debate competing with the carry rig sometimes, but usually go with my competition rig. Maybe that doesn’t make me hardcore on either side, but I’m shooting and getting better. To each their own.

7920drew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes I carry a gun. All the time, everywhere! Definitely not USPSA gear or 2011. I have shot one of my carry guns at match, but wouldn’t do it and expect to be competitive.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I guess we should be careful to clarify what using carry gear in a match means. You can still shoot at a very high level with carry gear. Using carry gear just means you are starting with a time disadvantage. Carry gear can be effective with just about any USPSA challenge I've seen. It just isn't as easy/fast to utilize. I would think the mindset should be that your starting at a disadvantage but that provides an incentive to work harder to be faster/more accurate to place better. Not a mindset of, I'm going to use my carry gear, I'm not worried about being fast & accurate.

I purposely use the words fast/accurate instead of competitive. It's easy to say I don't worry about being competitive, but why wouldn't you want to be as fast and as accurate as you possibly can be? Especially if you carry a gun every day for self defense.

Im not changing my position that it is silly to expect USPSA shooters to use their carry gear in a match. If you want to be as competitive as you can, it makes sense to use the gear that allows you to do that. I am questioning the fact that people that use their carry gear in a match state they aren't worried about being competitive which is equivalent to saying I'm not worried about being fast & accurate. Again, it just means you are starting at a disadvantage. It's the exact same when I try to beat people in other divisions. When I look at the overall, I recognize the difference between the gear but that doesn't change my desire to finish ahead of them. Competitiveness is relative to who shows up, but I would think you would always be trying to be faster and more accurate.

Edit. If you're just there to hang out and throw bullets downrange, that's cool too. But then I don't think it matters what gear you have on.

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    To inspire those who wants IWB for USPSA. And this guy is really good and competitive.

[video=youtube;Qf7vh1tBgsM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=Qf7vh1tBgsM[/video]

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    not to take anything away from gabe, he's a tremendous shooter, but he's using a G34 w/ mag extensions. not what most would consider typical carry gear. other than being minor and iwb (which he's skinnier than a flag pole so draws wouldn't add that much time), what disadvantage does he have over the G35 I shoot in limited? Heck there's no reason he couldn't go .40 if he so chose. I guess my point is he's hardly the poster child for using "carry gear" in a match...

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    He's a poster child for IWB and shooting minor. I bet you can take him Ryan. :shoot:

heh, not a chance. these days, well, I think Tim described me best:
    Edit. If you're just there to hang out and throw bullets downrange, that's cool too.

Hell, I only shot 2 or 3 stages at our last match.... that's how low my GAF has gone...

-rvb

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    One of the nicer things about USPSA is you can come for whatever reason you want. It has little, if any, impact to your fellow competitor's performance as long as you're safe. However, don't expect to not take some s**t if you show up in a helmet wearing plates. Or yes, with a rifle (I beat someone to it). :D

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Gabe earning his classification from concealment is impressive. I don't care about the rest of his gear.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The local USPSA or Steel Match is about the only way I can get out and really test a gun anymore. With work, kids, family, friends..... the wife only lets me sneak away so much. So appreciate the opportunity to be able to really show up with anything and shoot it. Maybe my attitude about being competitive is not the right one to have been but a 160+ round match with reloads is a great way to figure out if something is reliable or not.

Top Bottom