• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    If you ask someone who carries a pistol about dealing with edged weapons they will likely mumble something about “not bringing a knife to a gun fight”, or something even less understandable about the 21 foot rule. Most of them will have never done the 21 foot drill, and if they did they probably concentrated on drawing and putting rounds on target instead of getting cut.

Even though the research screams that you are very unlikely to see the edged weapon you are attacked with, for some reason we just cannot let go of training to shoot a bad guy holding a butcher knife glaring at us from seven yards away. We either train against that or the same guy charging us when he is given the signal. For our purposes here we will discuss the latter.

First of all this is not a gun problem, first and foremost it is a movement and angle problem. The problem comes in when people whose most polished skill set is a pistol fixate on using it as the first part of solving the problem.

In order for the edged weapon to cut us it has to make contact with us. And the damage it does is largely dependent on where that contact is made. The fact that the person is running at us almost guarantees that the 93%+ of the time it will be a right handed attack with the attack being an Angle #1 that travels from high right to low left, not unlike a haymaker. Whether it is a slash or a stab will depend on the type of weapon. With a butcher knife you will likely get a stab, with a box cutter it will be a slash.

After doing this drill for what now seems 100’s of times, if I had to put my finger on one thing that ensures you will get seriously cut, it would be rushing to get two hands on the gun.

Here are the reasons why-

Having both hands on the gun increases tunnel vision and glues feet to the ground. For most people force on force is a new thing and they have done way more live fire. Under stress we revert back to what we have done most of or most recently. In this case you are scared to death of getting cut or stabbed so you focus on getting two hands on the gun in an attempt to get a better shot.

Since we were children our eyes naturally focus on anything that we point at, this is increased when both hands are on the gun.
    Muscles contract under stress, and the more your heart rate sky rockets , the tighter you hold the gun.

Even when the attacker is at contact distance their hands stay glued to the gun. This results into what would be at least one powerful disfiguring slash, or a deadly stab into their face, neck, or upper chest. Just by raising their arm they could mitigate some of the force.

If students do move they go straight back, usually losing their balance and sometimes falling.

The keys to conquering this scenario are the following-
    In response to the movement of the attacker, move forward to your left, you attackers right. This is likely his non dominant side. The faster he is the slower he is to respond to his weak side. By moving forward you can see where you are going and keep your momentum forward.

Use your reaction side hand for navigation and to block/parry/ evade the attack. Draw your pistol and engage with your strong hand only.
    Realize that it may be physically impossible for you to get your pistol between your eyes and the threat making sighted fire impossible.

Trying to force this and brining the sights up to the chest causes you to bypass the super vascular targets of the pelvic girdle. Because of ritualized combat your body and that of your attacker will be close to square. This means that if you start firing from your waist there is an excellent chance of striking his upper legs, pelvic girdle, and stomach.

As he passes you and you are able to check his attacking arm with your off hand it is very likely that you will be in position for a contact shot under his armpit. If nothing else this will move you to his outside and force his weapons away from you.

There are three types of physical stoppages-

Central Nervous System- if you are able to hit the brain or spinal cord during a scenario this dynamic and close you may want to consider playing the lottery. There is no time or room for the intentional targeting of the head. If you are lucky enough to score a CNS hit you will know because they will drop. Consider it a 75 yard field goal though.

Structural System- comprised of the bones, muscles, ligaments, and tendons, SS hits to the feet, knees, pelvis, hands, elbows, and collar bone will likely be noticeable immediately.

Circulatory System- the system that we are most familiar when it comes to ballistics. CS hits are the slowest to stop an attack but most likely to kill. The downfall of traditional firearms training is leading people to believe that people burst into flames when shot in the chest. They will keep going.

So understanding this means realizing that they are a threat until they are no longer a physical threat and you have got to keep using movement and angles to achieve that……not just the gun.

FFJakeT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    very interesting write up. I have never really trained so to speak. But it has crossed my mind b/c i do know of the 21 ft/ 7 yards rule.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    First rule of the 21-foot scenario:

Find Cover. I like your suggestion to move directly AT the knifer, and side-stepping. Use the perp as cover. I need to find a short range live-fire spot and practice this w/ short stave and primer-caps. One shot should be sufficient to prove the worth of practice. Or use a revolver. Excellent post. Food for thought about surviving is always welcome. EBG

CJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Indy
    Excellent info! Most people believe that standing your ground and firing away is the best option, hopefully this will change a few minds and cause them to investigate.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I have been attacked by a lady with a knife. It was a 12" butcher knife. My partner and I were trying to lock her up and she grabbed a knife. Not bad tactics, she had a helpful mother. It will scare the hell out of you. It happened at least 20 years ago and I can remember as if it was yesterday. Great post.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Glad you like it. I should have some new vids up soon showing this stuff. We build movement in every time we draw. If the gun is coming out of the holster you need to be moving. It is a fight, not a gun fight.- George

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    The fact that the person is running at us almost guarantees that the 93%+ of the time it will be a right handed attack with the attack being an Angle #1 that travels from high right to low left, not unlike a haymaker. -

The keys to conquering this scenario are the following-
    In response to the movement of the attacker, move forward to your left, you attackers right. This is likely his non dominant side. The faster he is the slower he is to respond to his weak side. By moving forward you can see where you are going and keep your momentum forward.

Great write up George. I do have a question... Based on what I quoted from your post, are the directions in the above quote correct? If the attacker is right handed, if you want to move to his non-dominant side, would you be moving to your right, his left?

Or am I missing something?:dunno:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Great write up George. I do have a question... Based on what I quoted from your post, are the directions in the above quote correct? If the attacker is right handed, if you want to move to his non-dominant side, would you be moving to your right, his left?

Or am I missing something?:dunno:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.
    I wondered the same thing. VERY good write-up and something most people will never know because they read a 1 paragraph explanation of what to do then never seek out more training on the subject...

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    K, kind of confusing I know. It is their reaction side to the front, but not to the rear. Point your finger out in front of you while standing. Without moving your feet sweep your finger gun to the left and then to the right. You should find it easier to sweep to the right because you are moving to the inside. I really need to shoot a video on this I know.- George

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    K, kind of confusing I know. It is their reaction side to the front, but not to the rear. Point your finger out in front of you while standing. Without moving your feet sweep your finger gun to the left and then to the right. You should find it easier to sweep to the right because you are moving to the inside. I really need to shoot a video on this I know.- George
    I follow you... step into the attackers dominant side and as soon as he passes you it becomes his non-dominant side and you've gained the advantage.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I understand the move. Try throwing a punch if you are using your right hand and your opponent is moving to your right. You can't redirect as quickly as if he is moving to your left. If he is going to your left you naturally keep swinging and even gain more speed as you move to your left to meet him.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What we used to do when training against knives is coat the rubber blade with a colored powder. It is always interesting to see that even if you managed to disarm the attacker, you'd be covered in slash marks.

Training to fight against a knife is probably the most exhausting of any of the weapons. Most people are not trained with knives and their swings and fighting style is unpredictable and that makes it more difficult to defend against. With a stick type weapon, most people can angle in or away and even if you get hit, the force can be more or less be absorbed. Even if you get hard with a stick, there's not the psychological factor of seeing your own blood.

The odds go way up when it's stick against knife, but even that sometimes ends in some serious gashes.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    What we used to do when training against knives is coat the rubber blade with a colored powder. It is always interesting to see that even if you managed to disarm the attacker, you'd be covered in slash marks.

Training to fight against a knife is probably the most exhausting of any of the weapons. Most people are not trained with knives and their swings and fighting style is unpredictable and that makes it more difficult to defend against. With a stick type weapon, most people can angle in or away and even if you get hit, the force can be more or less be absorbed. Even if you get hard with a stick, there's not the psychological factor of seeing your own blood.

The odds go way up when it's stick against knife, but even that sometimes ends in some serious gashes.

When I was in Kick boxing we did a week of knife defense. We used side walk chalk bc its large like a small knife, and then we would spar with it. When some one got a kill shot we would stop and inspect ourselves for slash marks.
    It was a lot of fun, but damn was it hard work.

Top Bottom