• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Just changed all four rotors on the family van and couldn't help but notice the size and weight of the steel. Always looking for a way to Redneck Recycle I figured I might be able to weld a U bracket on the back, slip on a modified Bobcat steel 4" round to were it will swing behind the axel hole, then just hang from a sturdy target stand.

I like to hear the pros vs cons on this from yall, this will be mostly hand gun & rim fire caliber maybe the occasional .223 if she proves worthy.

Whatcha think?
    :ingo:

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    I've never shot one with a firearm, but I can say that they are cast, and will chip/break if hit right with a hammer. I'm in the same boat as you, looking for anything I can shoot at, but I would be carefull with auto rotors and drums shattering upon impact. At the very least you could set one up and shoot it from a safe distance to see what happens.

If you like the results, every shop I've worked at sells used rotors to the scrap guys for about $1 each, so there's a cheap source for all you could ever desire.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    They will just shatter :( - however you might get some fun out of them before they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiLPOCFPbo4

I would also look into what type of metal is more prone to ricochets. I am not sure if those are "safe" to fire on or not.... Something about the hardness of the metal, yada yada... I am sure someone else here could give a better explanation.

Last edited:

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Richochets would make me nervous...ever see the vid where the guy cacthes a .50cal with his ear muffs? I think he was shooting a brake drum or maybe a wheel.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    They are cast iron. I have broke them with a .22. Without going into how hard steel needs to be, the only safe steel to shoot at needs to be completly flat. Anything other than completly flat, divets, bends, holes, etc. and you run a good chance of bullet fragments coming back at you.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Modern Motorcycle rotors are machined steel and make a nice ring when hit while hanging. They are pretty thin though and only take a few rounds before they are used up.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Just changed all four rotors on the family van and couldn't help but notice the size and weight of the steel. Always looking for a way to Redneck Recycle I figured I might be able to weld a U bracket on the back, slip on a modified Bobcat steel 4" round to were it will swing behind the axel hole, then just hang from a sturdy target stand.

I like to hear the pros vs cons on this from yall, this will be mostly hand gun & rim fire caliber maybe the occasional .223 if she proves worthy.

Whatcha think?
    :ingo:
    Honestly, I wouldn't shoot at those. To many ways for a bullet to ricochet. There are to many ways to make safer targets to risk shooting at those. jmho

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    stand them up on the logs in the pistol shooting range and see how long they last. would probably be fine for a lot of games of horse with 22's.

bring em out next saturday at the swap meet and try it......d

Top Bottom