US military AI drone simulation kills operator before being told it is bad, then takes out control tower

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I heard a Blue-Suiter once remark during an exercise, "The violence is simulated, the buffoonery is real." This is getting a little too real for me.

US Air Force official says, 'It killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective'

A U.S. Air Force official said last week that a simulation of an artificial intelligence-enabled drone tasked with destroying surface-to-air missile (SAM) sites turned against and attacked its human user, who was supposed to have the final go- or no-go decision to destroy the site.

(OK that's a cool callsign.)
    U.S. Air Force Colonel Tucker "Cinco" Hamilton, the chief of AI test and operations spoke during the summit and provided attendees a glimpse into ways autonomous weapons systems can be beneficial or hazardous.

(Cinco is now on Skynet's kill-list.)
    During the summit, Hamilton cautioned against too much reliability on AI because of its vulnerability to be tricked and deceived.

(Kills the human... this is bad.)
    "We were training it in simulation to identify and target a SAM threat," Hamilton said. "And then the operator would say yes, kill that threat. The system started realizing that while they did identify the threat at times, the operator would tell it not to kill that threat, but it got its points by killing that threat. So, what did it do? It killed the operator. It killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective."

(Operator: BAD DRONE!! BAD DRONE!! AI Drone: **** you!!)
    Hamilton explained that the system was taught to not kill the operator because that was bad, and it would lose points. So, rather than kill the operator, the AI system destroyed the communication tower used by the operator to issue the no-go order.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Silly humans...
    Having worked in controls systems most of my career, as long as there’s not a final electrical connection separating the computer from the actuator, you will always have the possibility of the computer doing something…”unintended”.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Having worked in controls systems most of my career, as long as there’s not a final electrical connection separating the computer from the actuator, you will always have the possibility of the computer doing something…”unintended”.
    Unintended....lol.., once in awhile years ago with early digital relay logic.
    On occasion when separating old relay logic elevator controls from the bank of controllers some relay logic controllers would do interesting things on there own.
    Even more interesting sometimes was installing new processor logic on a bank of separate processor driven controllers. If they were high frequency drive controllers, a hole different set of issues.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Didn't they make a movie about this...

Top Bottom