US military AI drone simulation kills operator before being told it is bad, then takes out control tower

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    With the way people drive, I think flying cars would accomplish that in pretty short order.
    To be honest I’ve said for a long time that lines on the road are an invasion of privacy or at least gov’t overreach.
    4 way stops?!? Forget about it!

ETA, this is only very light purple if any at all.
    I’m not Bill Gates, I’m just for letting people live (or not) based on their own decision making ability.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    To be honest I’ve said for a long time that lines on the road are an invasion of privacy or at least gov’t overreach.
    4 way stops?!? Forget about it!

ETA, this is only very light purple if any at all.
    I’m not Bill Gates, I’m just for letting people live (or not) based on their own decision making ability.

One way streets are unconstitutional as they limit your right to assemble with people up the street. Plus, I'm only going one way at a time anyway.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I heard a Blue-Suiter once remark during an exercise, "The violence is simulated, the buffoonery is real." This is getting a little too real for me.

US Air Force official says, 'It killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective'

A U.S. Air Force official said last week that a simulation of an artificial intelligence-enabled drone tasked with destroying surface-to-air missile (SAM) sites turned against and attacked its human user, who was supposed to have the final go- or no-go decision to destroy the site.

(OK that's a cool callsign.)
    U.S. Air Force Colonel Tucker "Cinco" Hamilton, the chief of AI test and operations spoke during the summit and provided attendees a glimpse into ways autonomous weapons systems can be beneficial or hazardous.

(Cinco is now on Skynet's kill-list.)
    During the summit, Hamilton cautioned against too much reliability on AI because of its vulnerability to be tricked and deceived.

(Kills the human... this is bad.)
    "We were training it in simulation to identify and target a SAM threat," Hamilton said. "And then the operator would say yes, kill that threat. The system started realizing that while they did identify the threat at times, the operator would tell it not to kill that threat, but it got its points by killing that threat. So, what did it do? It killed the operator. It killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective."

(Operator: BAD DRONE!! BAD DRONE!! AI Drone: **** you!!)
    Hamilton explained that the system was taught to not kill the operator because that was bad, and it would lose points. So, rather than kill the operator, the AI system destroyed the communication tower used by the operator to issue the no-go order.

I was specifically told on INGO that stuff could not happen…

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    No AI needed for drones to be both awesome and terrifying, depending on which side of the swarm you are on.

Top Bottom