• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    You don't really think the "ping" of ejecting the clip gave the position away more than the report of the the 30-06 round being fire, do you? :)
    Thing is, you can slap a silencer on it and completely get rid of the report (I know this because I watched a movie) but there's no getting rid of the "ping!" :nailbite:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You don't really think the "ping" of ejecting the clip gave the position away more than the report of the the 30-06 round being fire, do you? :)
    Maybe not, but I know of no other rifle in the world that announces “I’m empty!” so proudly to anyone within earshot. Or challenges its user to a game of thumbsies on every reload.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Curious if the army ever looked at using squad tactics like the germans in WW2 where much of the firepower depended on the MG-42 and individual weapons were more for support of the squad machine gun.

Would having one or two really high performance versions of something like the MG-42 per squad provide required firepower and reduce the need for upgrading the individual rifles?

jdeanp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2022
    Southern IN
    Once they start, they'll change calibers like they do uniforms. It won't matter till you discuss what our puppets in the proxy wars will be equipped with.

Until ssg numbnuts can figure out to not run his upper, optic, and plastic housing laser all at once through a solvent tank, it's near pointless.

/rant

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Of course all the NATO countries will immediately throw all the 5.56 ammo, guns, 7.62X51 ammo, and guns to the curb. They will immediately start building their own and selling to any country that wants to buy it. Playing field between good guys and bad guys will be level in no time.
    What better way to kill all the surplus military ammo, guns and parts in this country.
    When will the civilian version of this stuff be available to us?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Curious if the army ever looked at using squad tactics like the germans in WW2 where much of the firepower depended on the MG-42 and individual weapons were more for support of the squad machine gun.

Would having one or two really high performance versions of something like the MG-42 per squad provide required firepower and reduce the need for upgrading the individual rifles?
    Dude, we have THE emma gee now, an upside down BAR, the M240B/G.

And the LMG68/XM250 and MMG338 which SIG will have running behind the XM5 are very awesome indeed.

I think your questions should be, why didn't Big Army just order more M110A1s? Double their deployment. That would be 44.5 million instead of 4.5 billion.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

This explains why I'll pass on this new round.
    Biggest reasons are it isn't that much better if any than shooting 308-win 155gr match bullets from a 16" barrel and it's not reloadable like I figured.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    I, for one, am ready for our new surplus firearms influx.

How long until I can buy a M249 from the CMP?
    Highly doubt it, given how the government would rather just melt it all or give it to "our allies" for free, rather than selling parts kits to it's citizens.

Apologies if I got a little political.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Maybe not, but I know of no other rifle in the world that announces “I’m empty!” so proudly to anyone within earshot. Or challenges its user to a game of thumbsies on every reload.
    Most generally M1 thumb happened during inspection, Sergent would pop his thumb on the bolt release and it would close on his thumb.
    With loading a M1 with your right hand you pushed the full clip down with your right thumb while you held the bolt handle back with the side of your palm under your pinky. Once the clip was charged you let go of the bolt handle and bumped it forward with your palm to load that first round.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd just like to remind people how dumb the 6.8x51 and its operating pressure is.

I plugged in some numbers to make a 308 load that effectively matches the performance... In a similar length barrel... with normal chamber pressure.
    TYMICQh.png

For comparison sake, I mocked up 6.8x51 at military chamber pressure, as best as I could from information available online. It seems to be in line with specs I've heard so I think I'm close. It's really not that impressive:

fMb0Jk6.png

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sad that American manufacturers can't seem to make guns for the American armed forces. Reminded me of Trump trying to get the navy to use more US steel in their ships but being told that type of steel wasn't available from US steel makers.

Top Bottom