• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK INGO, I'm upgrading the safe, getting a Liberty. Do I want the SecuRam or the mechanical lock? 1-2-3 GO!!

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Mechanical always. Preferably a UL group 1r lock.

Also. Not to get personal, but I would look at older liberty safes, or another brand.

[FONT=&amp]SECURITY FEATURE #1: [/FONT][FONT=&amp]UNI-BODY CONSTRUCTION[/FONT]
    • Liberty's exclusive and state-of-the-art roll form process uses a unique and secure 2-piece design. Process precisely folds coiled steel into any one of 6 models.
    [FONT=&amp] BENEFITS of Liberty's UNI-BODY CONSTRUCTION[/FONT]

1. No seams on the front and sides of the top - the most vulnerable place for prying or breaking of welds. Liberty's roll-form process and robotic welding produces stronger welds and a more rigid box.
    2. The back of each 2-piece safe is robotically welded to the safe body, melting the seams to resist bending, prying, cutting, splitting and distortion. This is key to defending against security attacks and distortion during hot searing fires.
    3. Liberty's UNI-BODY Construction bends with more accuracy and tighter tolerances for more consistent safes and performance.

Notice the bolded part. The back has a seam the entire way around it. And I know they say its a solid welded bead, but the safes I looked at, at my lgs, you could visibly see the spot welds.

-edit-

I have a liberty, but bought an older used one, and the back is a solid rounded weld the entire way around. It had a 2005 man. date I believe.

Warrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I have a Liberty with the mechanical combination lock. It works very well and I never worry it will fail. However, it is a cumbersome process to unlock it and I have never gotten fast at opening the safe. The near future will involve having a touch pad installed by the nearby safe dealer as my wife finds it nearly impossible to open. So i can see both side of the debate.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks for the input. I guess the "if it can fail it will fail at the worst possible time" voice is in my head. Anybody ever have a battery-powered lock fail?

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Thanks for the input. I guess the "if it can fail it will fail at the worst possible time" voice is in my head. Anybody ever have a battery-powered lock fail?

It didn’t fail per se, but my small GunVault bedside safe ran on 8 AA batteries and more than once I’d forget to replace them and end up having to open it with the key when that happened. Figured that wasn’t a good plan for an emergency situation, so replaced it with a V-line safe that uses a simplex mechanical lock. Now as long as I can remember the button pushing sequence, I’m set.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Dial.

Granted, I use 4 dials regularly, so I’m a little faster at it maybe, but it’s still the safest option.

...see what I did there? :laugh:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yes, I've had electronic locks fail. Two of them. Experience with electronic locks spans 25 years. My opinion is they will all eventually fail. Have safes with both electronic and mechanical locks.

The only reason for electronic is convenience. Convenience sells. I'll never buy another serious safe with an electronic lock. Mechanical for me only from now on. Mechanical locks will outlive you and be passed on to your heirs.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Yep. I regularly use a dial lock that is over 100 years old. Works fine.

I’ll add this: if it’s enough emergency that you cannot wait on opening a mechanical lock, you should have had some tools ready outside the safe.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

I’ll add this: if it’s enough emergency that you cannot wait on opening a mechanical lock, you should have had some tools ready outside the safe.

Absolutely! There will be tools not inside the big toolbox. All hammers, some bigger than others ;)

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I'd only recommend the mechanical (S&G) locks. I've got a Liberty with a mechanical lock and it works great...and will continue to work great for my lifetime...without the need to fiddle with batteries.

For those wanting quicker access to a specific shootin' iron, a large vault/safe isn't the answer.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Survey says: get the mechanical lock. I definitely won’t be needing quick access to this safe.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Mechanical Dial Combination Lock. :rockwoot:

Electronic lock is just another bell and whistle go mess with and go out. It might gain you some speed but I can spin my combo back and forth pretty dang fast. Except for that occasional brain fart when I just can't remember the numbers. I blame that on the overwhelming amount of numbers that we are suppose to remember through life. I don't blame age..... not yet...... maybe.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

My lock is on my vault - so you may need to open it quickly depending on the weather.

I have a mech. dial, and the downside is teaching the wife how to do it. I'm in there regularly enough to know it, but I bet she forgot the combination since last week's exercise.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My lock is on my vault - so you may need to open it quickly depending on the weather.

[STRIKE]I have a mech. dial, and[/STRIKE] the downside is [STRIKE]teaching[/STRIKE] the wife [STRIKE]how to do it. I'm in there regularly enough to know it, but I bet she forgot the combination since last week's exercise.[/STRIKE]

FIFY ;)

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ouch.

Mechanical things are not her forte, but she has many redeeming qualities.

My wife HAD qualities then, she didn't.
    Mine was so money grubbing that she brought up my safe full of guns in court.... during the divorce. That was a treasonable offense in a time of war punishable by....... I shouldn't say. My lawyer was so pissed. :xmad:

I too had taught her to open the safe and thank God she forgot how.

Top Bottom