• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    Recently brought home a very lightly used M&P10 .308 with 18" barrel and M4 style handguard. Looking to turn this into an outdoor range plinker that I'll use mostly from shorter distances (100-300 yards) and occasionally out to 500 yards. Am intrigued by the cylindrical look of the 15" free float handguard from Apex Machining. Anybody have experience with their product? And finally the dreaded optic question.....given the use and $500-$600 budget, any thoughts or recommendations? My first venture into magnified optics so I'm starting from scratch.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Personally, I'm not a fan of fat handguards. There's a nice handguard in the classifieds...

As for scope, ask Alan.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I put a Troy Alpha on mine.

As to optics, give Alan at AAoptics your budget and goals. he will set you up.

f0a71154ba11a7af01e481a2d2b0fbab.jpg

Banbuddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I put a Troy Alpha on mine.

As to optics, give Alan at AAoptics your budget and goals. he will set you up.

f0a71154ba11a7af01e481a2d2b0fbab.jpg

Do you have any issues getting a good stock weld on this setup? Your ring base looks super high to me, and that's something I've always struggled with in the AR platform with these one piece mounts.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Updating S&W M&P10 .308

Do you have any issues getting a good stock weld on this setup? Your ring base looks super high to me, and that's something I've always struggled with in the AR platform with these one piece mounts.

My shoulder to eye height is probably above average. As an example, most shotguns don’t fit well without an adjustable buttstock.

The angle of the pic seems to exacerbates the bell to rail distance as it is less than .6”. More than ideal but it works.

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    Ended up with Midwest Industries 15" handguard and Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50. No issues during basic function check with irons and cheap Winchester 147gr ammo. Got it out today to zero the optic with Federal 168gr Sierra Matchking and.....I'm now proficient in clearing FTF's. Back to the drawing board.

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    Didn't have issues with ftf, but had issues with primers popping upon inspection of spent brass. Turns out upon the bolt advancing next round forward brass was hitting a burred surface. Disappointed, but after I found a qualified gunsmith who was willing to invest the time, it was remedied, but I still keep an eye on that. I only use winchester match 168gr, hpbt. Might be something to look at. Brass was building up on primer end where round seats in chamber. Also I had issues with single piece mount on optic, went to old school rings, torqued to spec (can't remember the spec tho), it's been dead on ever since.

Top Bottom