• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I had two today. it was an exceptional day.

First.

I got an email about database issues. (Im not a DBA. Im the guy that sets up the database server for the DBA to use. But the DBA is on vacation this week) One table is being zeroed out on a schedule. Long story short he wanted all the entries restored.
    Difficulty: the zeroing is done at 1000 days.
    Layman's explanation: He wants me to restore ONE table of data going back 1000 days.
    Reality: Most backups dont go farther back than 365 days. MANY dont go back much more than 30-180 days. (Its expected you'll find the problem within a month)
    Luckily these backups are on a system I dont have full control of. The vendor manages those backups, so this gets dropped in their lap. (my only responsibility is to swap tapes weekly)

Second:

I got a random Teams voice call invite from a sales manager. He welcomes me to the call with no introductions. (im on my smartphone, so I'm blind) By the end of the call I realize im in a conference with sales, the customer, and a vendor or two, as well as my CIO. AFTER I say things that probably shouldnt be said outside the walls of our office. OOPS. Sorry, I was on my phone and had zero visibility to who was present. In the end I was expected to provide insight on a .gov deployment I have no info on, with no context of what systems are involved. In the end, it appears I was roped unnecessarily into a situation based strictly on supply chain issues; delivered product was dead. When RMA'd they were told there was no replacement available. (chip shortage)

Now, thanks to my CIOs insistence, I'm roped into this goat rodeo. SMH.

So share your unreasonable requests.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Maybe, just maybe when pulled into a call blind you spend more time asking questions, providing technical answers with no editorializing on your part.

If something truly is out of your scope, provide that info with an offer to follow up with the right people to get back to them or offer names of folks who can be added to the call to provide better answers.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I had two today. it was an exceptional day.

First.

I got an email about database issues. (Im not a DBA. Im the guy that sets up the database server for the DBA to use. But the DBA is on vacation this week) One table is being zeroed out on a schedule. Long story short he wanted all the entries restored.
    Difficulty: the zeroing is done at 1000 days.
    Layman's explanation: He wants me to restore ONE table of data going back 1000 days.
    Reality: Most backups dont go farther back than 365 days. MANY dont go back much more than 30-180 days. (Its expected you'll find the problem within a month)
    Luckily these backups are on a system I dont have full control of. The vendor manages those backups, so this gets dropped in their lap. (my only responsibility is to swap tapes weekly)

Second:

I got a random Teams voice call invite from a sales manager. He welcomes me to the call with no introductions. (im on my smartphone, so I'm blind) By the end of the call I realize im in a conference with sales, the customer, and a vendor or two, as well as my CIO. AFTER I say things that probably shouldnt be said outside the walls of our office. OOPS. Sorry, I was on my phone and had zero visibility to who was present. In the end I was expected to provide insight on a .gov deployment I have no info on, with no context of what systems are involved. In the end, it appears I was roped unnecessarily into a situation based strictly on supply chain issues; delivered product was dead. When RMA'd they were told there was no replacement available. (chip shortage)

Now, thanks to my CIOs insistence, I'm roped into this goat rodeo. SMH.

So share your unreasonable requests.
    f that.gif

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe, just maybe when pulled into a call blind you spend more time asking questions, providing technical answers with no editorializing on your part.

If something truly is out of your scope, provide that info with an offer to follow up with the right people to get back to them or offer names of folks who can be added to the call to provide better answers.
    meh. Im not worried. No REALLY bad opinions shared. I am careful not to be offensive and only speak the truth.

Xwalker1014

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I always got a kick out of the fact that when I worked in the Department of Corrections, in meetings and annual trainings they would hammer in the fact that you had to be FULLY alert at all times. Up to sixteen hours a day. I lived an hour away, so only counting drive time and working a sixteen, that is an eighteen hour day. Not including waking up, getting ready, brushing teeth, shaving, etc. I hate to say it but no ONE is fully alert after twelve hour shifts. Not to mention an extra four hours of mandated overtime. In a prison setting.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    We were already a man short when my coworker retired Friday. Small shop. I'm now the receptionist, manager, transmission rebuilder and the R&R guy. Oh yeah, and the ****ter cleaner. Can't find anyone willing to work. Ads on Craigslist, Indeed, local unemployment office, etc. Not a single inquiry.

Significant raise coming on Friday for me

Last edited by a moderator:

Xwalker1014

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    Indianapolis
    We were already a man short when my coworker retired Friday. Small shop. I'm now the receptionist, manager, transmission rebuilder and the R&R guy. Oh yeah, and the shitter cleaner. Can't find anyone willing to work. Ads on Craigslist, Indeed, local unemployment office, etc. Not a single inquiry.

It’s ironic to me that in today’s economy how many people are unwilling to work. But then in the same breath of “nah, I refuse to do it” they’re complaining about how they need more from unemployment. Unbelievable.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    30 years at a steel mill.
    I could fill this thread up.

Instead, I'm keeping an eye on d.kaufman's business.
    I might need work at the end of the year when I retire.
    But i don't know what r&r is. And I never took a transmission apart.
    I do put stuff in calendars and clean toilets though.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    30 years at a steel mill.
    I could fill this thread up.

Instead, I'm keeping an eye on d.kaufman's business.
    I might need work at the end of the year when I retire.
    But i don't know what r&r is. And I never took a transmission apart.
    I do put stuff in calendars and clean shitters though.
    R&R = Rest & Recreation as far as I know. Something I'm imminently qualified for. :thumbsup:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My job is fantastic and I have very few of these types of issues, but it's due to my own caution with things like a blind phone call. I'm not available for those, ever, unless it's my direct manager or CISO. Everyone else gets to go to voicemail. Even meetings and calls that aren't blind will sometimes go like that.

I work with vendors as part of my job and will never accept a meeting request from them unless I know exactly what the meeting is about. I do risk assessments for solutions vendors are trying to bring into the hospital. Often, they'll try to get a meeting where I go through all ~200 questions with them over the phone, which is not ever going to happen. Now I just tell them, if you have questions about specific questions, we can meet to go over them so that you know what's being asked, but I need to receive the questionnaire back with all of your responses for archive purposes. It's an attestation based process so verbal responses are frowned upon because there's always a layer of interpretation, which could skew results. Much better to be spelled out in writing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm customer focused and make sure the vendors don't have any questions and are clear on what's being asked, but I can't afford to be roped into calls that aren't productive.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We were already a man short when my coworker retired Friday. Small shop. I'm now the receptionist, manager, transmission rebuilder and the R&R guy. Oh yeah, and the shitter cleaner. Can't find anyone willing to work. Ads on Craigslist, Indeed, local unemployment office, etc. Not a single inquiry.

I listen to Spanish language radio while driving to help me improve my language skills and there's a *lot* of job openings advertised there. Family Dollar is having interviews in English and Spanish, as are several others. There's a lot of unskilled and semi-skilled jobs advertised in the $16-$25/hr range. I don't know what you're paying, but if I get fired tomorrow I'm going to go spread mulch.

Top Bottom