• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    While those are annoying you would probably think I need at least 3 curb stompings. When I get behind an idiot like that I go even slower to create distance so I can then speed up and merge at a proper speed.
    I do that, too - but it's because you need the gap to be able to turn away briefly to assess the traffic you will merge into while preserving enough margin to react when the idiot brakes sharply or stops when they get into the breech

Its like they are running 8088s with no cache for brain processors

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I do that, too - but it's because you need the gap to be able to turn away briefly to assess the traffic you will merge into while preserving enough margin to react when the idiot brakes sharply or stops when they get into the breech

Its like they are running 8088s with no cache for brain processors
    Well that too.

Could be, but I doubt it in the context he used it in. I honestly have no idea. Boot-licker, holster sniffer, badge bunny, etc I know, but buff?:dunno:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    While those are annoying you would probably think I need at least 3 curb stompings. When I get behind an idiot like that I go even slower to create distance so I can then speed up and merge at a proper speed.
    I do too on occasion, especially once I have a chance to gauge traffic and see there's no good way to merge if I don't.

Jamie-K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2021
    Kosciusko County
    I've never seen an unmarked police car that didn't have enough emergency lights hidden at the top of the windshield and in the grill that when they made a stop they looked like a Christmas parade!
    but you still need to be careful !

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I do not understand the deception Police are using with Unmarked vehicles and out of uniform officers.
    unmarked car = more revenue.

Plain clothes in marked car = typically you messed up enough the cop wants to lecture you. (I had that happen once when I couldnt see the red light I went thru because of I couldnt see the red until it was too late due to the box truck in front of me)
    And I was told by the detective that stopped me he needed to wait for a uniformed officer to write the ticket because he couldnt write it, but my infraction wasnt worth his time to sit and wait.

Unmarked + plan clothes shouldnt happen.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    Okay, I can understand holster sniffer and such just couldn't figure out the origin of "buff".

It goes way further back than that. First time I heard the term was the mid 1970s on the TV show Rockford Files. Season 3, "to protect and serve". Rockford's Detective friend Dennis Becker has to explain a "buff" (a female one) to his wife Peggy.

Peggy Becker:
    Just what is a buff?

Dennis:
    [looks uncomfortable] Well, it's a citizen who is fascinated by the police work. Like, you know, people who are into CB radios and broadwave shows, these people are buffs as we call them: they like to spend their time around the station getting to know the fellas, sorta hang out...

Peggy Becker:
    [angry] Dennis, that's not a buff, that's a groupie!

As for body cams, the ideal set of rules are simple: every uniformed officer interacting with the public should be wearing one and be required to leave it turned on anytime they are interacting with the public. The people they are interacting with should have full access to a copy of the relevant footage by formally requesting it, no denials allowed.

Turning it off or a "mysterious malfunction" or deletion of files should have severe legal repercussions if the manufacturer's examination of the camera finds no actual malfunction occurred. Files should be retained for at least a year before routine deletion to keep storage manageable, unless a case involving the recorded incident is active or the person(s) they interacted with are raising issues. In those cases it is retained indefinitely and copies provided to the relevant parties.

Third parties such as the press may request copies, if an issue of privacy or whatever is raised a Judge can decide if they get a copy, or they can just request the footage from the person(s) on it as they can decide for themselves if the press should have access to their interaction with the police.

Detectives/plainclothes they would be optional, up to a point. If they are meeting a CI or someone who wants to remain anonymous, no camera required. Interviewing suspects, serving warrants, etc. where they are interacting with the general public and stuff can and does go sideways pretty quick, they wear a camera with the same rules as a uniformed cop.

Non-enforcement cops would not be required to wear them as they are non-enforcement. They shouldn't be interacting with the public in a way that would make their use helpful. Of course they could wear one if the wanted to, just like any private citizen can.

Pretty simple, straightforward rules that puts an impartial "eyewitness" at most police/citizen interactions that can be used by either party.

As for unmarked cars doing traffic enforcement, I always thought it was a "team effort". The unmarked car spots the infraction and the marked one pulls you over and issues the ticket.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Hey cool! Is this the thread where we all get to ***** about everybody else’s job and dictate how they should be done even though we have no idea how it actually works?

Because I seriously have some pointers for some mechanics, software engineers, business owners, doctors, lawyers, truck drivers, teachers and dog trainers.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Oh, I forgot - derogatory terms like “holster sniffers” are used for people who like cops, words like “buff” (I.e.: gym buff, radio buff, cigar buff, bourbon buff... alluding to expertise) is used for firemen:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Hey cool! Is this the thread where we all get to ***** about everybody else’s job and dictate how they should be done even though we have no idea how it actually works?

Because I seriously have some pointers for some mechanics, software engineers, business owners, doctors, lawyers, truck drivers, teachers and dog trainers.
    I wouldn't say so much how to do your jobs, but a means of providing some oversight. And which of those professions has any where near the amount of authority over the general public that an officer does? Yes I know the vast majority of officers are good, and I"m not saying that a few bad apples spoils the barrel. But it might make a person look closely at all of them. Just like the on the vast majority of traffic stops, the person being stopped isn't going to try and kill/hurt the officer. I don't blame the officer for taking precautions just in case.

Oh, I forgot - derogatory terms like “holster sniffers” are used for people who like cops, words like “buff” (I.e.: gym buff, radio buff, cigar buff, bourbon buff... alluding to expertise) is used for firemen:

Okay, now I get the term buff. Although IMO I don't necessarily equate buff with expertise, just more of a fan. Perhaps an enthusiastic fan. Holster sniffer I thought was more of a suck up/brown noser? Not just someone who likes cops. Badge bunny is something altogether different.

Instead of "buffs", I always heard them called "whackers".
    I thought a "whacker" was more along the lines of the person who buys a used cop car and puts a thin blue line plate on the front and does what they can to make it look like it's still an active police car or tries to look/act like a cop at the low end, on the high end is an impersonator.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

Initially it was just a question, why do unmarked cars need to be doing routine traffic stops? I wondered if there was an answer that didn't come back to revenue generation.

LiveFreeOrDie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2019
    Crown Point

We all know this happens, wouldn't the simple solution be to require marked cars for traffic stops? Yes they can be faked too, but requires more effort and should also be easier to find/identify.
    You are assuming that the government actually cares about your safety. Guess what? They don't.

LiveFreeOrDie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2019
    Crown Point
    Maybe. Read that closer. marked OR officer in uniform.

If you pull over for an unmarked car, and the person in the unmarked car gets out in plain clothes, THAT is the time to decide whether to pull away slowly and call 911, or sit and take a chance.

If I decided to pull away, I wouldnt floor it. I'd pull away slowly and calmly fast enough the person couldnt run to catch me, then proceed at a slow speed while dialing 911. But that could still result in a curb stomp if the original officer was legit.
    You don't carry a concealed weapon at all times? This is when I would use it. In Indiana, it is legal to use deadly force against a police officer that is threatening your life unjustifiably.

Top Bottom