• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Housing prices have far far outstripped inflation.
    While this is true, there are other outside influences that affect the housing prices, especially now for new construction (Covid-related lumber price jump for example). Low interest rates have certainly help create the current seller's market.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    While this is true, there are other outside influences that affect the housing prices, especially now for new construction (Covid-related lumber price jump for example). Low interest rates have certainly help create the current seller's market.
    That and arson-fueled demand.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok let me help a little with the young persons (millennial) view of current economic situation.

1. Moving your way up is no longer possible, at best you become an assistant manager at the McDonald’s (or any other business) Those Regional management jobs and anything above assistant manager go to college grads who don’t know anything about the business they are hired to run

2. Why would any young person 18 or older go to work for tipped minimum wage in a place where your customers are cut in half when places like Walmart and Amazon pay 16-24 an hour to drive a forklift. Construction is hiring for every trade right now and you don’t need to know anything at all to make 15 an hour plus travel and per diem. Truck driver shortage, they pay for training and then you make 100k a year if you hussle.

What person is their right mind doesn’t take one of those jobs and goes to work in fast food or other minimum wage? Drug test is the only one I got. So ya if you want someone to wait your tables they are gonna need to be paid more money

3. the only people I’m hearing about in real life sitting at home still are people who got PPP loans. These are 40-50 year old “business owners” who seem to be doing nothing now other than living on the giant checks .gov sent and told them they could use on payroll.

4. many young people are now literally making their living trading stocks. I can’t replace my income yet bc I’m in a union job but I promise as soon as I can reliably do so I’ll never put those work boots back on. If I was one of these people applying for 15 an hour or lower I would have quit and make my money on TD ameritrade. It’s really not that hard to make enough to replace a 300 dollar a week paycheck.

4. It’s honestly hilarious to watch free market capitalists complain about the basic supply demand price model that is the backbone of capitalists.Labor is purchased in the market the same as anything else. If their is a shortage then prices go up. If demand goes up then prices go up. If supply drys up because people are finding ways to make 300 a week w/o becoming a wage slave then the price of labor goes up.

I’m a capitalist and a hiring manager. My solution to not enough people in the hiring hall is to tell my union we need more money on our check (instead of syphoning off our contract raises into the Benefit package) to attract new members. Sure a Journeyman makes good money but a 1st year apprentice only makes like 15 an hour and at that wage we are competing with every warehouse in the city for labor.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Not sure what to make of you, you have an unrealistic view of both how hard other people have had it as well as how difficult you think your life has been relative to that. Nobody who wasn't a trust fund baby has had it easy. You exhibit the same loose and shoddy thinking that the CRT adherents do, that we were privileged and had everything handed to us
    I have said literally nothing about how hard I've had it. I've done quite well, thanks. I am, however, capable of seeing how other people have it, through both personal experience and refusing to close my eyes and cover my ears.

It should be pretty clear that the job market and employment outlook today is not the same as for past generations, for several reasons. Blame whatever you want, but it is what it is. And a few years of high interest in the mid to late 70's doesn't change that.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Appreciate the sentiment, but when McDonald's can't find people to work at $11+ an hour, which is well above minimum wage, I'm not sure that it's relevant to our current environment.

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Certainly the distortions brought about by state; particularly through the "covid pandemic crisis", have helped nothing.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It should be pretty clear that the job market and employment outlook today is not the same as for past generations
    What I'm trying to get you to see is every generation, ever, said the same thing, and it was no more relevant when I said it than when you do

Making it in the world is NEVER easy, outside of those trust fund babies. It seems you have two options, get on with it or try to extort some change in conditions with the threat of communism and hope the alligator eats you last

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not able to move up?

Hell, we're happy to get someone shows up, passes drug test, knows how to use screwdriver.
    We hire 20 people for a "class". At the end of 1 week, were lucky to have half left, and they haven't done more than a safety class.
    Put them in the field, we'll lose another half.
    At the end of a month, that "class" might be down to a couple people.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    This is the thing. Consumerism (and especially conspicuous consumerism) has driven the "need" for dual income families. It's not "needs" that are driving it. It's the "wants".
    Yeah, grandma didn't have to have the newest iPhone every year, a perpetual brand new car in the garage, $200 cable TV bill, $200 unlimited data cell phone bill, overpriced organic food, and didnt send every kid to a $50k/year college because "everyone has to go". A lot of this wages issue is because of the standard of living we've decided we have to have is a lot higher than grandma's.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    overpriced organic food
    As a side note, I cringe every time I see some of these commercials for home delivery of groceries. Not "Kroger" type groceries... I mean like Hungry Root. The commercials typically show young people, probably just starting out, or maybe still in college or something, stocking their fridge with all this stuff and I just think, "I wonder how much they paid for THAT", when they could have gone to a regular grocery store or Aldi's and gotten it for a fraction of the price that they probably paid.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    As a non-college educated mid 40’s white male in central Indiana I can tell you the boo-hoo’ing about not being able to move up with a strong work ethic and a desire to learn and succeed is just plain ********. Period. Look, I am making a good wage that would support the wife and I just fine and still allow us to have our hobbies. Every job I’ve ever had I made it my responsibility to be the best, hardest working hardest pushing person there. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it pissed people off. But every time got me a raise and a promotion and an opportunity to gain training and education in that field.

no one locally is hiring at minimum wage. Why? Because they can’t get people to show up to an interview at $11/hr. People that WANT jobs have them. The rest are either “holding out for the perfect job”(read: I’m too good to stock shelves or work a warehouse at $18/hr) or just do t want a job.

and the needs/wants scale really need to be lit up for the idiocy it is. Last year I went through local ads for apartments,’local want ads for employment and actual monthly costs and showed that even in minimum wage at its current level you can survive just fine. No, you won’t have cable tv. No you won’t have the latest smart phone with the hugest plan. No you’re not driving a new car. No you didn’t buy designer clothes or makeup. Those things aren’t needs.

$7.45/hr at 40/wk for a 4 week month is $1192. After taxes that will be about $950 roughly. Needs are food, shelter and transportation. Sack lunches can be made for $1.50/meal. Three meals a day is $6 a day, $42 a week, $168/mo. An apartment can still be found for $500/month with utilities. It ain’t the nicest neighborhood or prettiest place. You find a like minded roommate or two you could have a nicer place for $3-400/mo. A basic phone plan with a $30 phone will run you $29/month with taxes and fees. $700/month In Food and shelter. Transportation gets tricky, but riding the bus for a few months to save that extra $250 you have left over for a used car will get you started. Basic insurance on a used car can be $40/month with a clean driving record. That still leaves you $210 left over each month to put back for a better car/repairs, or for some extras for yourself. It ain’t easy. But it CAN be done. This ******** about “no one can live off that” is just that. ********.

edit: the 4 week month plan also ends up giving you an extra month (13 4 week months per year) and gives you an extra $950 spread out through the year as 4 5-pay months.

Top Bottom