• ...and so much more!
  • Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Want to earn a living wage? Develop a skill. Pulling out a basket of fries when the fryer dings is not a skill.

It is if you have to be able to tell the difference between a french fryer going ding and your cell phone notification ding! That requires a lot of skill! Purple, purple, purple!

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Develop a skill. Pulling out a basket of fries when the fryer dings is not a skill.
    To be fair, while I never really worked in "fast food", I did work in the restaurant business, both cooking and in management, and my restaurant experience was instrumental in developing my work skills when I went into IT. It developed my sense of urgency, so I tended to dive into projects and get them finished as quickly and correctly as possible.

I used to work for a music club and my job involved warehouse support - writing and maintaining COBOL programs to interface with their picking/packing/postal sorting machines. In one meeting I was in, one of the vice presidents in charge of the warehouse made the comment, "I want to propose that we only hire programmers with restaurant experience!" because of my sense of urgency in resolving issues for them.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I read today that the Federal unemployment benefits extension expires in September. Until then, few people are going to get off their dead a**es and got back to work. Governors of Montana and South Carolina announced that they will withdraw from this program in June. Let's hope other states follow suite.

Sen. Sherrod Brown D-OH was interviewed on MSNBC and asked about the Federal unemployment benefit encouraging people not to work. He replied that maybe employers should pay more so that this won't be an incentive. Typical leftist thinking. The Government is artificially propping up wages with this crap.
    Anyone and everyone who whines that employers need to increase wages needs to get off their butts, and start up and run their very own business. THEN, they can give ALL their profits to their employees.

Look, the market determines what wages are for any given job or profession. And regardless of what that POS, Hussein obama claimed, NO, there is NO point at which someone has "made enough money". When you take the risks, put in the hours, and start up and run your own business, you deserve to earn everything you want to earn. When you count on anyone else to provide your job, YOU need to do WHATEVER YOU have to do, to increase your skills and what you offer to an employer. That, or, work as many jobs as it takes for you to live in the style you feel you deserve.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Grow a damned garden.
    Can’t afford one in my section 8 apartment, don’t have a yard, lardlord would probably tell me I couldn’t anywAy. Bagged soil, seeds and pots are expensive.kinda elitist to think everyone just has soil laying around ready to be sown.....
    /s

When you take the risks
    I think PPP program and other business stimulus in 2020 solidly established that there is little to no risk to business owners anymore. Those that closed or complained they were being run under either failed to do the paperwork to get literal free money or failed to pivot their business model to thrive in the new situation like their competitor.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Not able to move up?

Hell, we're happy to get someone shows up, passes drug test, knows how to use screwdriver.
    We hire 20 people for a "class". At the end of 1 week, were lucky to have half left, and they haven't done more than a safety class.
    Put them in the field, we'll lose another half.
    At the end of a month, that "class" might be down to a couple people.
    What kind of work?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    To be fair, while I never really worked in "fast food", I did work in the restaurant business, both cooking and in management, and my restaurant experience was instrumental in developing my work skills when I went into IT. It developed my sense of urgency, so I tended to dive into projects and get them finished as quickly and correctly as possible.

I used to work for a music club and my job involved warehouse support - writing and maintaining COBOL programs to interface with their picking/packing/postal sorting machines. In one meeting I was in, one of the vice presidents in charge of the warehouse made the comment, "I want to propose that we only hire programmers with restaurant experience!" because of my sense of urgency in resolving issues for them.
    I'm still waiting on that AC/DC Back in Black 8-Track :lmfao:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think PPP program and other business stimulus in 2020 solidly established that there is little to no risk to business owners anymore. Those that closed or complained they were being run under either failed to do the paperwork to get literal free money or failed to pivot their business model to thrive in the new situation like their competitor.
    You may want to keep in mind that it requires significant care to meet the terms for loan forgiveness without biting into the hook in the free lunch.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I had parents that taught me to work.

Doing stuff around home was part of what was expected as part of the family. Dad taught me how to find folks that would pay me to mow their grass, paint, clean out garages or barns (while getting rights to anything worth salvage as part of the deal), etc.

I subbed on paper routes when I was around 10. I had consolidated 4 routes by the time I was 14.

I got a job with a "w-2" about the time I was around 15. It was one of those "minimum wage" jobs at a restaurant. I had that for a few months....It didn't take much to figure out there had to be something better.

Took my bike around the area looking for something else and put in applications wherever I could.

A guy that ran a print shop said he was not hiring... I said something along the lines of "No problem. Would it be OK if I filled out an application in case something changes?"

Guy called a couple of days later to tell me that while he wasn't looking to hire anybody, he was impressed that somebody wanted to work and did not simply accept "no" as an answer.

I got another part time job cleaning the shop. I worked for the guy for around 8 years. Along the way I learned to clean and maintain printing presses. Eventually I became a utility press operator and ended up doing multi color work.

When I was around 20, the guy gave me a set of keys to the shop. I was working on additional education and could not always be there in normal business hours. I would go in week nights and run press jobs through the night. No doubt OSHA or some other alphabet soup pencil neck *** sucking .gov stooge would do their best to punish such an employer today.

In the meantime, I had plenty of buddies who were busy playing baseball and football believing their parents' stories that they were made for the bigs, others partying, and others that were just plain lazy *****.

After all these years, I am still thankful for lessons my parents taught me.

Clearly, many had parents that taught them other lessons.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Can’t afford one in my section 8 apartment, don’t have a yard, lardlord would probably tell me I couldn’t anywAy. Bagged soil, seeds and pots are expensive.kinda elitist to think everyone just has soil laying around ready to be sown.....
    /s

Perhaps you should start making better decisions.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Damn.

You might be the guy that got them to stop distibuting the "8 for just one penny" stuff to kids who were under 18 and could not sign a legally enforceable contract.

Ah....
    the good ol days.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    In the meantime, I had plenty of buddies who were busy playing baseball and football believing their parents' stories that they were made for the bigs, others partying, and others that were just plain lazy *****.
    Wait. I thought it was just the current generation. This kind of thing happened when you were young?

Did they have iPhones back then?

:)

Top Bottom