• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Good points. I’m not prepping for an end of civilization scenario as I don’t see that happening in my lifetime. I’m thinking more along the lines of a blizzard shutting things down for a while, or supply problems making things hard to get for a while. Having barter items might be a good idea in those situations.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    tobacco seed, cheap pipes, condoms just a few things others don't think about.
    I agree with the condoms also......people are people and needs will need to be met.

I know we "survived" for hundreds of thousands of years with unplanned pregnancy and no condoms but......if given a choice to bring a child into the :poop: show.....I would not until things stabilized.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Maybe the entire Gilligans Island series, I mean, that professor can make anything
    Good points. I’m not prepping for an end of civilization scenario as I don’t see that happening in my lifetime. I’m thinking more along the lines of a blizzard shutting things down for a while, or supply problems making things hard to get for a while. Having barter items might be a good idea in those situations.

Add "2nd Great Depression" to that list. We could easily see that in the next 5-10 years.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

If you are not at least prepping for Venezuela you are not prepping. I would pretty much call that an end to civilization...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    If you are not at least prepping for Venezuela you are not prepping. I would pretty much call that an end to civilization...
    I don’t disagree there’s an argument to be made for prepping for the worst. I don’t think we will see Venezuela in the US in my lifetime, so that’s not my focus. I’m honestly not much of a prepper, though. I do some little things that seem prudent, but I’m nowhere near a lot of folks here.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Tools (hand tools). Hardware (screws, nuts, bolts). Lumber (not enough for a house, but enough for boarding up doors/windows, repairs, maybe a few smaller projects).

My wife has enough hygiene, skincare, first-aid products to stock a Walgreens.

Need more books. I have a TON electronic, and several printed and in binders. Need more.

I tried to stock up on booze. Need to buy stuff I DON'T like.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Bic lighters.
    Coffee (alread mentioned, but freeze dried instant - unopened has an indefinite shelf-life)
    You can add butane to the list, while not recommended you can refill disposable lighters. There is a guy iirc in Kosovo that was part of how he survived. Bartering refills.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don’t disagree there’s an argument to be made for prepping for the worst. I don’t think we will see Venezuela in the US in my lifetime, so that’s not my focus. I’m honestly not much of a prepper, though. I do some little things that seem prudent, but I’m nowhere near a lot of folks here.

While there are some that have made a hobby of preps and homesteading to a very cool level, that is not realistic for most folks. We must do what we can to protect our families while living and hoping the bad doesn't happen.

Why on earth would you minimize the possibility of Venezuela happening here? We already are doing many of the very things that occurred there now. Unfettered printing of money and rampant inflation. Heck, I heard yesterday the Alan Greenspan called for an audit because he believes inflation to be near 20%. That is the Venezuela starter kit. Best to prepare what you can for it...

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Tools (hand tools). Hardware (screws, nuts, bolts). Lumber (not enough for a house, but enough for boarding up doors/windows, repairs, maybe a few smaller projects).

My wife has enough hygiene, skincare, first-aid products to stock a Walgreens.

Need more books. I have a TON electronic, and several printed and in binders. Need more.

I tried to stock up on booze. Need to buy stuff I DON'T like.
    Good point about the books.
    I have a whole section in the library on DIY books.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    While there are some that have made a hobby of preps and homesteading to a very cool level, that is not realistic for most folks. We must do what we can to protect our families while living and hoping the bad doesn't happen.

Why on earth would you minimize the possibility of Venezuela happening here? We already are doing many of the very things that occurred there now. Unfettered printing of money and rampant inflation. Heck, I heard yesterday the Alan Greenspan called for an audit because he believes inflation to be near 20%. That is the Venezuela starter kit. Best to prepare what you can for it...
    I’ll wager one gallon of gasoline that we don’t end up like Venezuela in the next 40 years. If you’re right, that’ll be worth thousands! ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got it. Yes especially if you are familiar with those in your circle of trade.

Top Bottom