• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I was thinking about buying 2 rifles. One is the ruger 10/22 that they sell for my kids and I to shoot. The other is the origin that I want to use for squirrel and small stuff around the house. Have you shot any of these and what are your thoughts? Is there a better option out there that I should look into?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I own the Umarex Origin and both versions of the Crosman 1077 which looks like a 10/22 (CO2 and PCP).

The Umarex Origin is fun to shoot and I really like the side lever action. The only thing I dislike is the magazine. It can be a little difficult to load but otherwise is functional. Just not on par with the mags on my other PCP guns. I think squirrel hunting would easily be possible with this air rifle but I’ve never tried it.

The 1077 is a hoot to shoot. Not as powerful or accurate as the Origin but it is easy to load and is a true semi-auto. The magazines do take a little time to get use to.

I don’t know if you have experience with PCP air guns but I have a hand pump, a scuba tank and an electric pump. In my opinion the electric compressor/pump is the way to go.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'll resurrect this post.

Decided to jump into the PCP game. Picked up an Umarex Gauntlet in 22cal.

Wanted to go inexpensive as it will be mostly a chipmunk killer.

Got the rifle, hand pump, 2 extra mags and 4 different pellet types to start with. Still waiting on the pellets though. All in all I'm in it for about $330. Had a simmons 22mag 3-9×32 scope laying around so that's on top....for now

20221215_202358.jpg

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I'll resurrect this post.

Decided to jump into the PCP game. Picked up an Umarex Gauntlet in 22cal.

Wanted to go inexpensive as it will be mostly a chipmunk killer.

Got the rifle, hand pump, 2 extra mags and 4 different pellet types to start with. Still waiting on the pellets though. All in all I'm in it for about $330. Had a simmons 22mag 3-9×32 scope laying around so that's on top....for now

View attachment 242519
    How does the gauntlet shoot? I assume by now you received your pellets?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    How does the gauntlet shoot? I assume by now you received your pellets?
    Took 4 shots to zero the scope. 25 yards can consistently group at 1/2"

Have several other weights of pellets to try yet. Been waiting on good weather, which is finally here.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Took 4 shots to zero the scope. 25 yards can consistently group at 1/2"

Have several other weights of pellets to try yet. Been waiting on good weather, which is finally here.
    Please keep us posted. I’m still thinking I need to get the origin of gauntlet. How bad is the air pump to fill the gun? How many shots before you have to top it off?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Please keep us posted. I’m still thinking I need to get the origin of gauntlet. How bad is the air pump to fill the gun? How many shots before you have to top it off?
    It's kind of a pita using a hand pump but gets the job done. The last 1k psi is the hardest.

I didn't get to the point on seeing how many shots I can fire on a tank. I know I did at least 50 or so, with plenty in left the tank for more.

Top Bottom