Ultrasonic cleaners. Remove trapped rust?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I carry a discontinued Leatherman. I used it last night for a plumbing repair and apparently didnt dry it well enough. Now the jaws of the pliers are super stiff.

I used penetrating oil and have exercised them a lot, but its still pretty stiff. A little of the rust worked its way out of the seams, but it feels like there is still a bit in there causing problems. I was considering getting an ultrasonic cleaner anyway. Would that ultrasonic action work that loosened rust out of the action and out into solution? Or do I just need to call Leatherman and hope they can still repair it? Its been out of production long enough I suspect they'll try to replace it with another model, but no other model has the exact features I have/like.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have a metal container with a screw top lid, I drilled a hole in the lid and installed a snap in rubber tire valve. I put the tool in the container and cover it with oil/rust buster or whatever is needed.
    I close the lid and add 2-5 psi and let it sit overnight. I had the same problem with a Leatherman micro and a night in the tank cured it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Kroil oil works very well for getting to rust in tight places.
    I got the oil into the rust. Now I need to get it out. exercising the joint makes rust appear. Now I'm trying to accelerate it.

I'm going to try a reverse of what Creedmor suggested. (now deleted? :scratch: ) I have a vacuum sealer. It supports jars but It didnt include the attachment. Ive got a jar attachment kit on the way. A trick to getting stuff into spaces is to draw a vaccum and release it. That will draw air out of voids and when released liquid will be drawn in. Maybe a few cycles will help. And if not, I'm only out $8.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Carb or brake cleaner then compressed air.
    Nothing has been deleted by me.
    And its much easier to push a liquid into a airspace with pressure.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Carb or brake cleaner then compressed air.
    Nothing has been deleted by me.
    And its much easier to push a liquid into a airspace with pressure.
    Its weird. Now both of your posts show up. I think the board is smoking crack tonight.

And I agree. Pressure works better. But in the absence of a pressure vessel, a cheap vacuum vessel will achieve the same results with a few extra cycles. Evac the air and the liquid will fill the void when it returns to normal atmospheres. But the problem is the rust material is still in the joint. Maybe a few cycles will evac the particles with the added cycles. But I wont hold my breath.

And if that doesnt work, I may look into an ultrasonic. I could switch from a tumbler to liquid case cleaning, clean gun parts easier, etc.

And worst case I'll have the ability to vacuum seal food in jars moving forward.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and I already tried the brake cleaner and compressed air and no change. adding more PO and exercising results in more rust percolating.

Top Bottom