• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    HB 1927, the FIREARM CARRY ACT OF 2021, made it out of the Homeland and Public Safety Committee, thru the Calendars Committee (which means the Speaker of the House supports it), and has been on the floor of the Texas House all day for debate. It was authored by one of the members of that committee, and the same committee also passed a separate "permitless carry" (seems to be the current term of art) that was authored by the committee chair. There are another five or so "permitless carry" bills as well, but I don't think they are going anywhere since these two have made it thru this far.

It essentially legalizes the carry of a handgun by a person 21 years of age or older anywhere that the current law authorizes a LTC holder to carry. The LTC would still exist, but you would not need it carry a handgun in Texas as long as you are 21 or older and not a prohibited person.

The Dems of course have thrown up all kinds of nonsense amendments to "protect school children" and rain on "white supremacists"-- one of our fellow Texans aptly labeled this "willful misdirection" -- but those are being batted down by generally substantial majorities.

This thing might actually pass the House this session. I try not to get my hopes up, but I really was not expecting this to go forward this soon in the session, or at all, really.

Oh, interesting: They just passed an amendment to expunge a past conviction for unlawfully carrying a handgun as long as that was the only crime (i.e. if you also robbed a 7-11 while unlawfully carrying, then no dice).

If passed the bill still needs to go through the Texas Senate.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Passed the house 84-26
    First off Alamo, congrats on this important legislation passing with a significant majority in the house.

not only did this past with a larger percentage then House Bill 1369 did in the Indiana house, damn, there are some RINOs getting primaried next year that’s for damn sure.

Again congratulations, don’t take your foot off the gas.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    First off Alamo, congrats on this important legislation passing with a significant majority in the house.

not only did this past with a larger percentage then House Bill 1369 did in the Indiana house, damn, there are some RINOs getting primaried next year that’s for damn sure.

Again congratulations, don’t take your foot off the gas.
    ^^^What he said!^^^

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Thank you all very much for the congratulations but…uh... all I did was call my representative. And donate money.Unfortunately my state senator is a Democrat and she’s probably a total loss but will keep plugging.

Procedural note. To completely pass the house the bill has to have three readings. The first reading is when it’s introduced to the house and sent to a committee. The second reading is when it’s first debated on the house floor, assuming it gets out of the committee, and if it’s passed after that debate, it has to be read on the floor one more time and voted on again. That’s supposed to be first thing tomorrow. It’s a little bit more than a formality but it should pass just fine.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So because Republicans in the House passed Con Carry by overwhelming amount, the Republicans in the Senate (with 18-13 advantage) had to **** around and initially not have the votes to pass it, and hem and haw and waffle. The Lt Governor, who in Texas leads the Senate (equivalent to the Speaker of the House), set up a special committee on constitutional issues just to have a hearing on the bill and get it through, which they did last week, after the usual moaning from Mad Mommies and the like.

Then it went to a floor vote this week for its second reading (three readings are required to pass the Senate) - yesterday actually - and of course the Dems whined during debate, then the Reps were able to suspend the rules and end debate so as to go to the voting. During the voting phase amendments can be offered, and of course the Dems threw up all kinds of nonsense. Eight amendments, all proposed by the Senate sponsor of the bill, ultimately passed. It's too early and complicated for me to figure out what they really do, but initial review is that some of them are a step backwards - I assume those were compromises with the RINO-ish senators to get their votes. But then it passed, the Rep senators then suspended the rules and held a third reading (normally the three readings have to be on different days) and they finally passed a con carry bill out of the Texas Senate late last night.

But because of the eight amendments it is different from the House version, so it has to go back to the House who can either accept all the amendments and pass the Senate version, or set up a conference committee to work out differences. Of course the House is clucking its tongue and saying that some of the Senate amendments do not seem to "fit the purpose of the bill" or something like that, so I'm guessing there will be a conference committee. Thankfully the output of conference committee doesn't have to go back to either chamber for a vote, whatever they decide becomes the final law (oops) has to go back to both chambers for a vote.. IIRC Gov Abbott said the other day he will sign a con carry bill (I think the local term is "permitless carry") if it reaches his desk.

Sigh. Only Republican politicians could take something simple, wanted by the vast majority of their constituents, a legislative priority voted on by the precinct committeemen all across Texas, and turn it into a furball that might not get passed. grrrr.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So because Republicans in the House passed Con Carry by overwhelming amount, the Republicans in the Senate (with 18-13 advantage) had to **** around and initially not have the votes to pass it, and hem and haw and waffle. The Lt Governor, who in Texas leads the Senate (equivalent to the Speaker of the House), set up a special committee on constitutional issues just to have a hearing on the bill and get it through, which they did last week, after the usual moaning from Mad Mommies and the like.

Then it went to a floor vote this week for its second reading (three readings are required to pass the Senate) - yesterday actually - and of course the Dems whined during debate, then the Reps were able to suspend the rules and end debate so as to go to the voting. During the voting phase amendments can be offered, and of course the Dems threw up all kinds of nonsense. Eight amendments, all proposed by the Senate sponsor of the bill, ultimately passed. It's too early and complicated for me to figure out what they really do, but initial review is that some of them are a step backwards - I assume those were compromises with the RINO-ish senators to get their votes. But then it passed, the Rep senators then suspended the rules and held a third reading (normally the three readings have to be on different days) and they finally passed a con carry bill out of the Texas Senate late last night.

But because of the eight amendments it is different from the House version, so it has to go back to the House who can either accept all the amendments and pass the Senate version, or set up a conference committee to work out differences. Of course the House is clucking its tongue and saying that some of the Senate amendments do not seem to "fit the purpose of the bill" or something like that, so I'm guessing there will be a conference committee. Thankfully the output of conference committee doesn't have to go back to either chamber for a vote, whatever they decide becomes the final law. IIRC Gov Abbott said the other day he will sign a con carry bill (I think the local term is "permitless carry") if it reaches his desk.

Sigh. Only Republican politicians could take something simple, wanted by the vast majority of their constituents, a legislative priority voted on by the precinct committeemen all across Texas, and turn it into a furball that might not get passed. grrrr.

Fingers crossed.
    Welcome to the party Alamo. Yours chicanery took place out in the open, opposed to behind closed doors like ours did.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

But because of the eight amendments it is different from the House version, so it has to go back to the House who can either accept all the amendments and pass the Senate version, or set up a conference committee to work out differences. Of course the House is clucking its tongue and saying that some of the Senate amendments do not seem to "fit the purpose of the bill" or something like that, so I'm guessing there will be a conference committee. Thankfully the output of conference committee doesn't have to go back to either chamber for a vote, whatever they decide becomes the final law. IIRC Gov Abbott said the other day he will sign a con carry bill (I think the local term is "permitless carry") if it reaches his desk.

Fingers crossed.
    Identify those thwarting the peoples will and excise them like the cancer upon good governance that they are. At least you should be able to identify your cancer cells. So far here in Indiana it would appear they are hiding behind a caucus secret vote.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    WHOA! I'm seeing social media stuff that Constitutional/Permitless carry has now passed both chambers and is on the way to Gov Abbott's desk!

Of course being Republicans they had to make this a high wire act instead of a slam dunk, but apparently some form has passed.

Update: It appears the conference committee between the chambers has agreed on the final form of the bill, but is still has to be put on paper, officially voted, and then to the Guv. But it appears there is agreement between the conferees.

Background: The House based a bill. The Senate amended that bill. The House was not happy with some of the amendments, so a conference committee of five members of each chamber was appointed to sort things out. It laid around for a week without any apparent movement, but seems the conference committee finally met today and hashed it out. I think.

Update #2: explanatory stuff here: Conference Committee Reaches Agreement on HB 1927! | GOA Texas (gunowners.org)

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So the conference committee report (agreed upon bill) came out over the weekend and went to both chambers.

The House took it up last night and passed it about midnight (yes midnight on a Sunday) 82-62.

The Senate takes it up today.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    And Indiana failed miserably!

What is worse after listening to Guy relford's show today, this demonstrates that the Texas legislature was more intelligent and critical thinking than our Indiana legislators. They managed to see through the smoke and mirrors put up by some supposed second Amendment organizations who always seem to tank a positive bill.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    If only we had more in the Indiana state legislature that believed in the Constitution and Second Amendment as those in Texas do. We need to take names of those who aren`t outright helping Indiana get Constitutional carry and remove and replace them;

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    First off, congrats to Alamo and his fellow Texans on becoming the 21st (I think??) State to embrace the Founders' intent of the 2nd Amendment.

Second: fellow Hoosiers, we need to get involved. The Primary Election is 3 May. Haven't ever been involved with a campaign before? ME NEITHER!! Not knowin what I'm doin ain't never stopped me before.

Third: There was serious effort to make Indiana the 19th State with Constitutional Carry (also the 19th State in the Union, I thought that was a good sign. I was wrong.) The team will be back in 22.

Fourth: Much profanity deleted.

Fifth: 344 days until the Indiana Primary.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom