• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Asking this for my daughter. She lives near McCordsville and wants an antenna to pick up local stations. Wants to keep it as simple as possible. I see two options for her. First, buy a small indoor antenna and place it near the TV. They are around $30-40, and need power. I can't really tell how good they are. Second is a small antenna on her roof or in her attic. Previous homeowner had a dish of some sort and there is an existing wall outlet with a coax connector behind her TV which I assume went up to the dish. Here is one option: attic mount antenna.
    She would like to keep the cost pretty low, like way less than $100.

I'm just starting to look into this for her and would appreciate any suggestions.

Dave

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    There are a number of good OTA channel finder websites. Here is one. https://www.antennaweb.org/

Enter her address and you’ll see what channels she can get with a small or medium multi directional vs what would require a bigger single directional.

if she can get most of what she wants with a small multi directional the cheap ones that stick to a wall or window in the house work just fine.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Mounted bout 13' up on an internal wall, signal has to pass thru outside wall in addition. Located about 30 clicks east of So Bend. I get all of the channels that originate in St Joe County, including the ones that are lower power. This style obtains power from USB port which my TV has.

I'm too old to be crawling around attics and atop roofs anymore.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
      antenna.jpg
      126.8 KB · Views: 8

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Mounted an outdoor antenna a few years ago. Used an existing mount on rood for a dish.. Can't remember brand. Got it off Amazon for like $40. We pick up about 50 stations from Chicago. Has a remote to turn it as well and if we aim towards South Bend we can pick up about 35-40 channels from there

Edit to add link to one we purchased. Browsed thru past orders to find it

pingbingding HDTV Antenna Amplified Digital Outdoor Antenna with Mounting Pole & 40FT RG6 Coax Cable--150 Miles Range--360 Degree Rotation Wireless Re Amazon product ASIN B0748KYTZN

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to take a trip down to her house and scope out a good location to mount one, hopefully where the dish used to be.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll have to take a trip down to her house and scope out a good location to mount one, hopefully where the dish used to be.
    If you can, may be able to use the existing coax cable. Friend at work was able to do that and the house was already wired up.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If the dish was in a decent spot, you can utilize the dish mount itself. That is actually the type of mount I used to mount my antenna.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Mounted an outdoor antenna a few years ago. Used an existing mount on rood for a dish.. Can't remember brand. Got it off Amazon for like $40. We pick up about 50 stations from Chicago. Has a remote to turn it as well and if we aim towards South Bend we can pick up about 35-40 channels from there

pingbingding HDTV Antenna Amplified Digital Outdoor Antenna with Mounting Pole & 40FT RG6 Coax Cable--150 Miles Range--360 Degree Rotation Wireless Re Amazon product ASIN B0748KYTZN

Looking for something also and really like the look of this and the fact it can support multiple TV's and you can easily rotate it....just bought it! Thxs for link!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    A directional antenna will get better reception than an omnidirectional type but they both have advantages. If you are a distance from stations the directional will pull in stations from a longer distance if it is aimed at them. So if the stations you want to get are all in the same general direction this is what you want. If distance is a factor and they are in different directions you would need an antenna rotator.
    If you are close to the stations the omnidirectional should be your best bet as they will draw from all directions. And if you are really close the indoor type may work and for sure the easiest to set up.
    I live pretty much in the sticks as far as reception, get a constant 11 channels and sometimes several more. I use a RCA Yagi compact antenna with a Channel Master signal booster without a rotor. One thing I have noticed, at night I will get more channels than during the day, no idea why.
    One more thing, if you look at the "Lava" brand they make a good converter/recorder box that I would recommend. I also got one of their omnidirectional antennas because it looked like it would get the channels I wanted. This was from the "Antenna Deals" website and according to them, no problem just call and get authorized to return if it doesn't do the job. Well it didn't but they won't, you cannot contact customer service!!!!! All you get is a recording they will get back to you. Do not ever buy anything from "Antenna Deals." Jim.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    So she ended up buying a cheap one that just sits near the tv. With the antenna just on the floor, she is getting 27 channels, including the ones she was hoping for, so she is happy. Not bad for $13. She said she would try to reposition it to see what works best. What she wants now is an online guide to show her what is on at any given time. Looks like ontvtonight.com and nocable.org are two options. Anyone have a favorite guide for broadcast tv in Indy area?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    So she ended up buying a cheap one that just sits near the tv. With the antenna just on the floor, she is getting 27 channels, including the ones she was hoping for, so she is happy. Not bad for $13. She said she would try to reposition it to see what works best. What she wants now is an online guide to show her what is on at any given time. Looks like ontvtonight.com and nocable.org are two options. Anyone have a favorite guide for broadcast tv in Indy area?
    If she has internet access and a smart TV ... she can subscribe to Localcast.org for $60 a year....it has ALL the Indy local channels...all the time. They have a great TV guide.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

To my shock, as I was last using it at least 15 years ago, tvguide still maintains listings and it's still pretty good.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    If she has internet access and a smart TV ... she can subscribe to Localcast.org for $60 a year....it has ALL the Indy local channels...all the time. They have a great TV guide.
    Good info, I wasn’t aware of that myself.

For less than $50, that directional with a rotator is a pretty good deal.
    My GF lives near Danville and her fixed antenna grabs 52 channels pointed towards Indy.

I noticed some of the newer TVs actually have a guide button and will pull a guide from the air of most of the channels. Some of the religious and independent channels don’t transmit the programming info.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Good info, I wasn’t aware of that myself.

For less than $50, that directional with a rotator is a pretty good deal.
    My GF lives near Danville and her fixed antenna grabs 52 channels pointed towards Indy.

I noticed some of the newer TVs actually have a guide button and will pull a guide from the air of most of the channels. Some of the religious and independent channels don’t transmit the programming info.
    We have a set of amplified rabbit ears on top of the TV stand thing...all we really care about is MeTV...and it comes in clear as a bell. Two years ago we sent DirecTV packing...when ATT bought them it went to hell. We were paying about $140 a month with no premium channels and two TVs connected....we canceled our DSL with Century Link, hooked up with Metronet...internet speed went from 4 MBPS to 200 MBPS included the home phone line, and was $5 a month cheaper than CenturyLink. Booted DirecTV and got Hulu Plus ($45 a month, Locast $60/yr, and put up an OTA antenna on top of the TV ad we get MeTV clear as a bell plus about 25 other channels. I figure we saved $100 a month by cutting the cords. (Hulu Plus is now $65 a month) Locast has 44 channels...a few are dupes....include ALL the local Indy stations $60/yr....we may dump Hulu and just go with Locast and OTA.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

We have this same one. I mounted it on a 10-ft pole outside since I don't do roofs.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    If anyone without cable is interested in sports channels, there’s something called Tugo TV that has most of the major sports cable channels for $29.99/mo. I’ve cancelled it for now due to possible work disruptions, but it seems to work well for the most part.

Top Bottom