Trying to talk my son into adding a 10/22 to his collection.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    He doesn't seem to see the need of a 22lr rifle or pistol. I try to explain to him it's for practice for the larger caliber, plus its cheaper to shoot and a lot of fun. He just doesn't see the need. How can I convince him he needs some 22lr in his collection. Doesn't have to be a 10/22 i have one and thought it would be nice to shoot them together father and son. Any ideas on how to get him hooked on 22lr?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You can force the issue by buying him one. You could bring yours to every range trip, exposing him to the fun.

How old is your son? I didnt care one whit about .22lr for a few years; I wanted "real" calibers.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Once he shoots one, he'll want one. Definitely a gun everyone should own.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm guessing he's not in to prepping at all.

Does he have any objections, or just no interest?

What's his primary interest in firearms? Hunting (any small game)? Defense? Etc.?

His age?

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm just a weirdo, but now days I much prefer running a bolt gun to burning up a bunch of ammo with the 1022.

Whether it is or not, chambering each round myself feels more accurate.

Maybe work with the boy on your 100 yard plus 22 accuracy?

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    get one that mimics his favorite other type of rifle, 10/22s are so customizable that if you deck one out in a style he didn't think of then it might surprise and persuade him into it

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Went to the range yesterday, forgot my mags, so my 15-22, became a single shot!! It does require most focus and determination, knowing you only have one shot at a time.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    'sub-caliber' practice is fantastic, especially now with ammo shortage. I have a GSG 1911-22, so I can still practice and have fun instead of blowing through my 9mm in my Springfield Armory Range Officer.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I'm just a weirdo, but now days I much prefer running a bolt gun to burning up a bunch of ammo with the 1022...

Well you can count me among the "weirdos" if that's the case, as I spent far too much time yesterday in search of a Ruger American in .22 lr on the web after seeing discussion here regarding this model.

And then it hit me like a fall on an icy sidewalk, the only other Ruger long gun in .22 that I've had was a staynless with laminated mannlicher style stock that I sold after determining there was no need here to shoot around corners.

I'd say to any father intent upon imposing their will on offspring, if it's that important to you, buy the gun and let them enjoy it with their inheritance.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    He is 25 just about to finish 6 years in the Army getting out in December. He's got a good paying job lined up 35 miles from me so well be able to see each other often. Not much into hunting but is wanting to get into it. Mostly big game like Elk, brown bear, moose. He has a 338 Lapua Magnum he wants to put to good use. He's concerned about the condition of the country but can't say a whole lot being in the military UCMJ kind of dampens freedom of speech and things you are allowed to talk about. He is also into collecting WWII firearms. Has very nice M1 Garand, Kar 98, Italian M1938, he's always looking for WWII rifles and pistols for his collection.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If one is concerned about the condition of our country, etc. is there any common round that can be stacked deeper and cheaper than .22LR?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    'sub-caliber' practice is fantastic, especially now with ammo shortage. I have a GSG 1911-22, so I can still practice and have fun instead of blowing through my 9mm in my Springfield Armory Range Officer.

What ammo do you run in the GSG? I picked one up on a trade and haven't tried too many flavors of ammo yet. It runs Aguila Super Extra pretty well, but I'd like a more comprehensive list of what I should be looking for when ammo shopping.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If he was into AR's, I'd say a 15-22 or similar. Depending on what type of handguns he is into, could convince him to try a very similar handgun or even a conversion kit in 22LR for an existing handgun. That said looks like you said WWII and weapons of that period, so not sure I have anything for you.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If he was into AR's, I'd say a 15-22 or similar. Depending on what type of handguns he is into, could convince him to try a very similar handgun or even a conversion kit in 22LR for an existing handgun. That said looks like you said WWII and weapons of that period, so not sure I have anything for you.

There is always the Keystone Arms Mini-Mosin.

[video=youtube_share;QSTAzE7Id7w]http://youtu.be/QSTAzE7Id7w[/video]

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I agree on getting a .22. Not so much on the 10-22. I am not a fan. There are lots of great 22s out there. They should all have threaded barrels.

BW, I am another weirdo then. I prefer my Savage FVSR to my 15-22. My Henry lever with my suppressor is a lot of fun too.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    He is also into collecting WWII firearms. Has very nice M1 Garand, Kar 98, Italian M1938, he's always looking for WWII rifles and pistols for his collection.
    There should be lots of WWII 22LR trainers around. A High Standard HD, as used by the government, could be a good choice for a pistol.

Top Bottom