• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    My mother is a very tiny women needs something she can hold on to with not a lot of kick. Something for self defense purposes. She willl be taking a self defense class at a local range but we want to get her a nice gun to use.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    S&W EZ Shield. Can get it in 380 or 9mm. Wife has the 380 version and loves it. Easy to load mags. Slide is effortless to rack. Low recoil. All around has been a phenomenal firearm. There is a recall however, on some that were built this year. There's info on it in the recall thread

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    The M&P EZ is the answer I’ve heard to this question lately. I plan to get one for Mrs. Eagle one of these days. Kinda holding out for the Performance Center model, mostly because of the flat trigger.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The hunt is a journey usually. Go to a range that allows you to rent different platforms and let her try several. CZ platforms are easy and ergonomic to shoot due to low bore axis. Makes 9mm as easy to deal with as .380. Home defense or full time carry? Striker fired -vs- hammer fired with a safety is a consideration. Training time is important for either platform.
    Tell your momma we said hey, and welcome.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Take a step back. Start by having mom put fingerprints on your collection. Then take her shopping and do more of the same. Find something in a suitable caliber that is comfortable in her hand. After that, see about being able to procure examples for the range. Make sure she can comfortably work the slide in the case of an autopistol.

This is just my first reaction and certainly not authoritative, but coming to mind is a revolver in .327. If you get a S&W there are about 475 different grips you can get in the quest for just right and you can do factory reduced loads with .32 H&R or even .32 S&W if she is really recoil sensitive.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    S&W EZ Shield. Can get it in 380 or 9mm. Wife has the 380 version and loves it. Easy to load mags. Slide is effortless to rack. Low recoil. All around has been a phenomenal firearm. There is a recall however, on some that were built this year. There's info on it in the recall thread

Shield EZ in .380 is a solid pistol. Very low recoil. I would recommend the version without the safety. More on this later.

Avoid the 9mm for people with small hands. The grip is just a little bigger and some people have a hard time with the grip safety. Yes I have seen this on the range.

The 9mm EZ may have had some recalls. I have personally seen a cracked frame on one. Lot of cartridge for so little recoil spring.

The .380 recalls were because the manual safeties reengaged under recoil. The solution of course is to ride the safety. But people with small hands may have trouble with this technique.

what we are left with is the no manual safety version of the Shield EZ in .380. That is the version to get.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My opinion, for senior moms you cannot beat a small double action stainless revolver with Crimson Trace grips.

My wife's experience with growing old has included the change in musculature. We went to store after store until she got her hands on Crimson Trace and she found the fit to be excellent plus the cat loves the laser.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    my best gal loves to shoot my toys. one day we went to a lgs so i could pick up a few things and she decided she wanted a pistol of her own. she was considering a g2c because she's used to shooting mine but the minute she picked up a .380 EZ she was hookes on it.

she bought it and we spent the next 2 hrs at the range.

EZ's are the way to go for people with who have trouble racking a normal pressure slide.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    My little MIL carries a snub nose light weight revolver in 38 Special. I carry one in .357 Magnum. If she gets a .357 Magnum, she can load it with .38s.

mousegun87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mead
    My mother is a very tiny women needs something she can hold on to with not a lot of kick. Something for self defense purposes. She willl be taking a self defense class at a local range but we want to get her a nice gun to use.
    S&W Shield EZ in 380 or 9mm. This gun is easy to rack and has multiple safety with new shooters in mind (grip safety, thumb safety). If she can handle the 9mm recoil I'd recommend looking at S&W Equalizer. It is built like the EZ but with double stack mag with 15 capacity.

Top Bottom