Trusted Gunsmith in the Western part of the state that can put together an accurate AR upper?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    Does anyone have experience with a gunsmith in West Central IN that they trust to put their ARs together? Mainly focused on having it accurized. I don't have the tools or room to build it myself, and I want to get someone who knows what they're doing. I know Tactical Weapons and Supply down in Crawfordsville does them but they have mixed reviews on Google. Anyone had any experience with Darrel's Custom, Grells, or any others between Cayuga, Lafayette, and Lebanon? I'd be willing to have a garage gunsmith do it if they have a good rep. I've got all the parts, just need someone to put it together.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    While I understand you don't have the tools or room, I think your throwing your money paying a gunsmith. Uppers can be purchased assembled ready to shoot, at any accuracy or price point.
    So let me ask you, what are you after? Give us details and let us guide you.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    While I understand you don't have the tools or room, I think your throwing your money paying a gunsmith. Uppers can be purchased assembled ready to shoot, at any accuracy or price point.
    So let me ask you, what are you after? Give us details and let us guide you.

The above advice is the way.

Look at White Oak Armament and particularly in the 18" SPR uppers. I have one in 223 wylde, 1 in 7 twist with a mid length and it's hands down the most accurate 223/556 I've ever owned or shot. Lower has a SSA trigger, but otherwise it's all that upper.

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    Dwight at the gun shop by Montezuma or Steve at Shots and shells in Clinton could point you in the right direction. Maybe even Duane Pearson at Marshall. He is awesome. Not sure how much he knows on the ar platform, but he will connect you with someone who can help. If none of the above works, PM me and I know someone who would be a good connection.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

Look at White Oak Armament and particularly in the 18" SPR uppers. I have one in 223 wylde, 1 in 7 twist with a mid length and it's hands down the most accurate 223/556 I've ever owned or shot. Lower has a SSA trigger, but otherwise it's all that upper.

Very hard to go wrong with white oak or compass lake.

If you can't afford either of those rock river arms

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.

I've got all the parts already, except for the BCG - Waiting on those to come back in stock. I know exactly what I want for the build but I just need someone to put it together.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got all the parts already, except for the BCG - Waiting on those to come back in stock. I know exactly what I want for the build but I just need someone to put it together.
    I didn't know you already had all the parts you wanted. You're on the right track to make sure someone puts it together right. Too many homemade youtube guns have issues at the range.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    I didn't know you already had all the parts you wanted. You're on the right track to make sure someone puts it together right. Too many homemade youtube guns have issues at the range.

That's what I'm trying to avoid, need someone with a known history of good builds.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I agree with sloughfoot, the barrel is the most important part of the equation. A master gunsmith isn't going to make a junk barrel shoot tight groups. AR's are not like building a 1911 from scratch, there isn't hand fitting involved. Use quality parts, use correct tools, correct procedure and proper torque values. The better the components used equal easier assembly, lower probability of failure and higher probability of a happy owner. I can tell you first hand the difference between using old PSA parts versus BCM or Daniel Defense.

The last two builds I did were an AR in 308 using all Aero Precision parts and a Ballistic Advantage barrel. The other was a 16" AR in 5.56 using all BCM and Daniel Defense parts. Both of the builds were the best I've done so far and a big part of that was because of the quality of the parts used.

If you were closer to New Haven, I would offer up my garage and my services to help you assemble your AR correctly.

20200819_195516.jpg

20210212_070037.jpg

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Havlin's in Fayette. Just a few miles north of Brownsburg.

He's a heck of a good dude. Be sure to contact him via email... Utilize the appointment setter-upper he has on his website. Do NOT just show up.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I agree with sloughfoot, the barrel is the most important part of the equation. A master gunsmith isn't going to make a junk barrel shoot tight groups. AR's are not like building a 1911 from scratch, there isn't hand fitting involved. Use quality parts, use correct tools, correct procedure and proper torque values. The better the components used equal easier assembly, lower probability of failure and higher probability of a happy owner. I can tell you first hand the difference between using old PSA parts versus BCM or Daniel Defense.

The last two builds I did were an AR in 308 using all Aero Precision parts and a Ballistic Advantage barrel. The other was a 16" AR in 5.56 using all BCM and Daniel Defense parts. Both of the builds were the best I've done so far and a big part of that was because of the quality of the parts used.

If you were closer to New Haven, I would offer up my garage and my services to help you assemble your AR correctly.

View attachment 127581
    How's that Aero running for you? I've kicked around the idea of one of those in 6.5 for a semi auto competition gun. I think if it's setup right it could be an accurate and reliable rifle, but I don't see a lot of reviews for those.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    How's that Aero running for you? I've kicked around the idea of one of those in 6.5 for a semi auto competition gun. I think if it's setup right it could be an accurate and reliable rifle, but I don't see a lot of reviews for those.
    It was a build for a good friend. He loves it. We put an adjustable Aero gas block on it.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    Havlin's in Fayette. Just a few miles north of Brownsburg.

He's a heck of a good dude. Be sure to contact him via email... Utilize the appointment setter-upper he has on his website. Do NOT just show up.
    Looks like I might be giving this guy a try.

Top Bottom