• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    How so? She won on the first go through and on the final. The second round merely increased her lead as the few votes that went to the D originally mostly went for Murkowski.
    View attachment 241170
    So, if I'm reading your chart right, democrats effectively elected Murkowski. Great. The Federalist covered this (ranked choice) awhile back.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Trump didn't invent America First. It's not his trademarked intellectual property. And he can't apply that trademark to anyone who's willing to rub elbows with him and expect it to stick. Being with Trump doesn't make you AF. Being AF makes you AF. AF is not Trump's exclusive possession. We the voters own that. And we're not stupid (well, most of us anyway).
    Trump owns the slogan Make America Great Again. I think that's a small goal. I want competent leaders who will put America first above all other concerns, and use the government primarily for protecting the nation's borders and protect/uphold people's rights. We don't have to be the world's police. That idea should have died with the neocons. We don't have to be the most influential nation. Or the richest. AF > MAGA.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, if I'm reading your chart right, democrats effectively elected Murkowski. Great. The Federalist covered this (ranked choice) awhile back.

If it were like a regular primary system where Murkouski and Tshibaka run head to head, where only republicans vote in their own primary, and Democrats vote in theirs, maybe Tshibaka beats Murkouski because not many moderates show up to vote in primaries. It's Alaska so whichever republican wins the primary, presumably wins the general. So Tshibaka won a primary she would end up winning the general election and I suppose INGO would rejoice.

But, in that general election, roughly half of Republicans in Alaska would have to hold their noses to vote for Tshibaka. So they don't get who they want. And the Democrats don't get who they want because they live in a red state. Best they could hope for is the moderate Republican.

Ranked choice isn't good for radicals because they can't exploit the advantage primaries give them of being more motivated to go vote in primary elections.

Ranked choice is better for reflecting the overall values of the state of the jurisdiction in which they're voting. If the state is heavily Trumper, then the Trumper candidate will probably win even in ranked choice.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A lot of dormant TDS has come out to play in this thread!
    I don't think you have a firm grasp of what TDS is. I suspect that everyone who you're saying has TDS actually voted for Trump at least twice. And not only that, would vote for him again if he's the Republican candidate in 2024.

TDS is an irrational opinion or belief against Trump. I think one can have irrational opinions or beliefs in favor of Trump. Like an irrational inability to recognize faults in him. So that's another form of TDS. It goes both ways. Having the ability to recognize Trump's faults is a feature, not a bug. No one is perfect. But you guys seem to think he is. I think it's reasonable to think that because you guys wail and gnash teeth anytime someone says even the slightest thing negative about him.

Reality is what it is regardless of your inability to see it. The only thing that started this is a poster mocked the idea that Trump is nothing but winning all the time. And obviously Trump isn't all winning all the time. But boy if you say it, OMG! :runaway: someone said something bad about Trump! Circle the wagons! Fire back! Full scale assault! Defend his honor.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's a dismissive cop out to avoid debate by saying that anyone who wishes to challenge anything relating to Trump with a dissenting opinion is due to TDS. I would say the same thing when someone says that anyone who defends Trump is doing so because they are blind "Trumpers.

They are both dismissive cop outs.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    But anyway, that is kinda silly don't you think? You conflate individuals setting expectations for other individuals with an election? I kinda get the feeling that if Republicans won bigger than expected and I said they over-performed expectations, you'd probably agree.
    The whole thing is silly, hence my own silliness that should have been purple. How can republicans win bigger than a red wave? It is also silly that that intelligent people fall for the narrative of the enemies of conservatives then blame those conservatives…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    How so? She won on the first go through and on the final. The second round merely increased her lead as the few votes that went to the D originally mostly went for Murkowski.
    View attachment 241170
    A primary would be primarily republicans without many undeclared and dems in the mix, the point that Murkowski would be vulnerable. Then the election would be dem vs. repub.

Ranked choice did just what Murkowski wanted…

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

So did The American Spectator

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The whole thing is silly, hence my own silliness that should have been purple.
    I figured you were being factious but I still played it straight up.

How can republicans win bigger than a red wave?
    Well. In some areas we expected Republicans to do well. It was a red wave in FL, and TX for example. Not so much in GA and PA, and Boebert did astonishingly bad in CO, squeaking by when it should have been a big win.

In most contested races where it mattered most, it was a bust.

It is also silly that that intelligent people fall for the narrative of the enemies of conservatives then blame those conservatives…
    Have you considered that they haven't fallen for anything of the sort? That maybe it's you who have misinterpreted reality? Are conservatives making the same predictions the enemies of conservatives made? Lots of conversation happened right here on INGO about the big red wave. Lot's of Trumpers high-fiving, talking about "winning". Now you guys are acting like that never happened. I don't think my eyes are so closed to reality.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Like I said. The open primary took the Democrat out of the race. I look at many of AK's laws and I kinda think they're moderately Republican. It may be that Murkoski is a better fit for AK than the other Republican.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Wow. God forbid this happens.
    The open primary, far from promoting moderate candidates and reducing political polarization, allowed voters to ignore electability and vote for whoever pleased them — no matter how immoderate.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe it's dangerous to let just anyone vote their whims.

Tim Pool actually came up with a basic income suggestion I might like. Offer people basic income ($1500/month) but if they take it they agree to give up the right to vote. I don't like basic income. But preventing the people who would take it from voting may be a fair tradeoff. They're not disenfranchised if they agree to it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    How many of those were for seats that were highly contested?
    Not sure, another question is how many were incumbents? In the Senate he went 2 for 6 that weren't incumbents and both of those seats are retiring R incumbents.

I'd go even further and call it Trump "clown car" of primary picks over competent candidates in otherwise winnable, competitive races.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, only JD Vance won... out of how many Trump hand-picked into the primaries? Not counting those he picked who lost, THANK GOD, in the primaries.
    Your forgetting Ted Budd. But I'm not sure if Trump hand-picked him or not.

I always felt Oz to be a bit creepy, even before politics. And he did kinda come off like a carpetbagger, even to this Hoosier. But if I were a citizen of the keystone state, would I choose Fetterman over Oz...? Ick! As for carpetbagger extraordinaire - Mitt Romney. He's from Michigan, governed on the east coast then reps the senate in the mountain west. He can't possibly have an allegiance to anyone except himself.
    Not sure I would call Romney a carpetbagger, at least not one extraordinaire. He moved to Mass for work and lived there for about 8 years before running for office. He also lived in Utah during his college days and had a vacation home there for several years, and lived there for about 4 years before running for office. How long did Oz live live in PA before announcing? IIRC it was less than a year and he was living at his parent-in-laws. But he did live there when he went to college.

WillH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    The media has gotten to you. That is the exact argument for Desantis against trump that the media wants to happen and the narrative they have been pursuing since the election. Desantis wins big.
    Trump loses big.
    All fake.
    I don't even watch the news anymore. I'm just capable of reading and understanding statistics. I understand that Trump's popularity is on a long spiral down and there is zero chance of him winning another election. Every single left-leaner hates him and a good chunk of right-leaners also hate him. I would rather see someone who stands a chance of winning an election than have four more years of Biden, Harris, or whatever other puppet the DNC throws into the White House. I have nothing against Trump. He did a great job in office. But he's almost 80 years old, has an ego the size of Texas, and is unarguably a highly polarizing figure. In a different political climate, I would love 4 more years of Trump. But he is an old man who had his chance and, unfairly or not, is washed.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Your forgetting Ted Budd. But I'm not sure if Trump hand-picked him or not.
    True and that is fair... he did seek and received Trump's endorsement in the Primary.

He was a 3-term House member before running for the open Senate seat, so his path was a more "traditional" one... House or Governor before running for Senate seat.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    True and that is fair... he did seek and received Trump's endorsement in the Primary.

He was a 3-term House member before running for the open Senate seat, so his path was a more "traditional" one... House or Governor before running for Senate seat.
    I agree, I almost put in he was a sitting congress critter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom