• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The federal reserve notes that the world has been forced to eat* for decades...
    That inflation, those dollars, are coming home now as had been predicted by people with newsletters decades ago.
    To get reelected President Biden would be trying to paddle a canoe uphill.

So as always, if we have another election it's gonna be interesting.

*Due to the Arabian protection agreement, not leftists versus rightists.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "Ordinary people" may run, but you need a party behind you to get any traction or exposure.
    That's why I loved this movie...

1633126868880.png

“You can't spend $200 million running for office without owing something to somebody.”

Some real gems here... and all of them accurate. RIP Robin Williams.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've no idea who will do better job or even who will run. I'm sure it will be a wealthy person with an outsized ego, but outside of that who knows. I don't think Trump's tax plan was anything but more of the same. Bigger breaks for bigger players. I've already pointed the negative tax rates out in a different thread, no reason to rehash here. I don't care to argue what he didn't do or why. What did he actually do? Because like it or not, results are the only thing that matters and the best ideas in the world are useless if you don't have the clout to get them implemented.

"Ordinary people" may run, but you need a party behind you to get any traction or exposure. Trump paid for his influence, he was a wheel greaser and politician long before his successful bid. Not many "ordinary" people can afford to dine and donate like he did, although some celebrities can exchange their cultural cache instead...but that's not "ordinary" either.

Then which "ordinary" person who's extraordinary enough to get over those hurdles is also able to withstand the temptations of the position?

On a local level, Mayor Ballard is probably a good example. Either he fooled a lot of people or his office changed him (or both). He was a completely different mayor in week one then he was at the end of his tenure. Financial temptation is probably easier to resist then ego stroking and buying into your own marketing. You do this so you can stay in office so you can get your agenda through so you can help people is much harder to resist then so you can buy a bass boat or whatever.

I hope we have an uprising of those rare and extraordinary ordinary people, but I'm not one of them.

I think power and all it's temptations change people. I've wondered how people in leadership that have held on to that power until the last minute deal with their own mortality. It's clearly a powerful and addictive drug that must require a great deal of personal strength and conviction to resist.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've no idea who will do better job or even who will run. I'm sure it will be a wealthy person with an outsized ego, but outside of that who knows. I don't think Trump's tax plan was anything but more of the same. Bigger breaks for bigger players. I've already pointed the negative tax rates out in a different thread, no reason to rehash here. I don't care to argue what he didn't do or why. What did he actually do? Because like it or not, results are the only thing that matters and the best ideas in the world are useless if you don't have the clout to get them implemented.

"Ordinary people" may run, but you need a party behind you to get any traction or exposure. Trump paid for his influence, he was a wheel greaser and politician long before his successful bid. Not many "ordinary" people can afford to dine and donate like he did, although some celebrities can exchange their cultural cache instead...but that's not "ordinary" either.

Then which "ordinary" person who's extraordinary enough to get over those hurdles is also able to withstand the temptations of the position?

On a local level, Mayor Ballard is probably a good example. Either he fooled a lot of people or his office changed him (or both). He was a completely different mayor in week one then he was at the end of his tenure. Financial temptation is probably easier to resist then ego stroking and buying into your own marketing. You do this so you can stay in office so you can get your agenda through so you can help people is much harder to resist then so you can buy a bass boat or whatever.

I hope we have an uprising of those rare and extraordinary ordinary people, but I'm not one of them.
    You misunderstand me. I'm not saying 'ordinary' people should run for national office. I'm saying ordinary people take back some power by electing someone like Trump, who despite what you wish to intimate, functioned outside the usual party apparatus and did many things (like the all out effort to close the border/remain in Mexico, the wall, and tariffs and the threat of a trade war with China) that were a net positive no matter how you wish to nitpick their lack of perfection

The worst thing that could possibly happen is 4 more years of Harris/Biden, which could easily happen if the Republicans try to force a candidate that lacks the enthusiasm of the base

I'm thinking that folks like you, unless you actually like what Biden represents and is delivering, might consider getting with the program if Trump runs again and has no serious competition. It will be a two man race and we already know what we can expect from the other side

Fish or cut bait

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm thinking that folks like you, unless you actually like what Biden represents and is delivering, might consider getting with the program if Trump runs again and has no serious competition. It will be a two man race and we already know what we can expect from the other side

Fish or cut bait

I voted for Trump last go round, not that it matters a tinker's damn who I vote for in Indiana, it's going Republican for POTUS with or without me. But by all means, tell me about folks like me. I really don't think the tax code is "nitpicking". I'm good with many things he did, that doesn't mean I'm not going to call out things I don't agree with either because I don't care about purity tests or cults were you have to believe the leader is flawless.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think power and all it's temptations change people. I've wondered how people in leadership that have held on to that power until the last minute deal with their own mortality. It's clearly a powerful and addictive drug that must require a great deal of personal strength and conviction to resist.

The path to office is one that requires corruption, unless you're sitting on billions of dollars.

Someone may go in chipper and bushy tailed, but there's no way they're still the same person once they've done what's necessary to have a successful campaign and gain a party's blessing. Trump was about the closest to someone who was the same person before as he was after, but he was also a marketing expert and was sitting on a personal fortune with global name recognition.

I'm not sure this is something that can be fixed if voting is still a thing.

I've often thought positions in government would be better handled like jury duty. A lottery, that commits you to a civil duty. It'd require a lot of aids to help people navigate the government, but it's one way around the problem. I'm sure there's some way it could still be handled through elections, and grouping people by them self identifying with a party. You vote for a party and someone identifying under it would be randomly selected.

It isn't perfect, but at least it'd ensure it's normal people. Normal people that have a job to go back to when they're done.

The last part is the fundamental underpinning of everything wrong with politics today. The government was designed by and for people who had a real job outside of government. And now it's filled with people who live out their lives in office. Term limits won't do anything to solve that problem, as they'll just go into some other political position.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I voted for Trump last go round, not that it matters a tinker's damn who I vote for in Indiana, it's going Republican for POTUS with or without me. But by all means, tell me about folks like me. I really don't think the tax code is "nitpicking". I'm good with many things he did, that doesn't mean I'm not going to call out things I don't agree with either because I don't care about purity tests or cults were you have to believe the leader is flawless.
    Perfect is the enemy of good enough

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

welp, I'm convinced. Trump 2024, 2028 and 2032 at least
    I'm sure a lot of them don't want him to run. With Biden they were able to go back to their comfortable, corrupt lives.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What do we think of businessinsider.com?

Outfit sure seems to be pumping out a lot of left leaning dribble as of late, eh?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom