• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    One would have to wonder if any of this would be happening to Trump if he would've just gone away quietly. It's like if you don't then we will keep harassing you until you are gone. Mind you I'm not suggesting that Trump should just go away quietly in saying that, but we all know the reason for the harassment is because he refuses to go away.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    One would have to wonder if any of this would be happening to Trump if he would've just gone away quietly. It's like if you don't then we will keep harassing you until you are gone. Mind you I'm not suggesting that Trump should just go away quietly in saying that, but we all know the reason for the harassment is because he refuses to go away.
    I imagine they would have stopped by now.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I imagine they would have stopped by now.
    Trump wasn't a problem for them when they liked him. The harassment only started when he entered into the political ring and didn't fall in line with them.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This. This one issue is the reason why I am not reflexively supporting Trump right out of the box.

“Alons’ hesitancy to instantly support Trump again, especially the reason for it, is one of the major reasons why Trump now faces a formidable challenge for the nomination from Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. Florida remains the only state in the country that has issued any kind of safety alarm against the COVID mRNA shots, and earlier this year the Florida Supreme Court approved DeSantis’ request for a grand jury to begin both fraud and criminal investigations into the vaccine makers’ claims and associated risks.”

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It’s what politicians do. I’d rather pick one that doesn’t. If only one of those were available.
    I'm not personally aware of Rand Paul doing so, what edgy views he holds seem sincere

Caveat: I am by no means an expert on Rand but I do like him

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If elected, which 2A “champion” will take office? The “your 8 year assault on the 2A will come to a crashing end” version or the “I like to take the guns first…” version? The guy that nominated enough justices to give us Bruen or the guy that warped-sped the DOJ into banning bump stocks (which begat banning pistol braces)?

Same guy, so probably both

Which DeSantis will we get, the 'Ukraine isn't our concern' guy or the one from the next day

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    He says that Trump's intentions were good, but his administration was filled with neocons, war mongers, swamp creatures and big pharma executives who were guiding decision making.
    Think what he could do with the backing of the whole party and a deep bench of administrators to choose from, but that's only possible if they get on the America First train

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That said, why do Trumpers only respect polls when it shows Trump ahead? When same polling orgs show Trump negatively “you can’t trust polls”, “polls are biased”, “it’s a scam”, yadda, yadda, yadda. Do explain. Why?
    The same reason the ABTs only respect polls that show Trump behind. Two sides of the same coin

If you don't trust polls, don't cite them - ever!

If you cite polls, don't claim you don't trust them - ever!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The same reason the ABTs only respect polls that show Trump behind. Two sides of the same coin

Words to live by.

Reactions: KG1

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    He is a fighter, just will not stop, hope he wins to fight with some leverage…

Reactions: KG1

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    He is a fighter, just will not stop, hope he wins to fight with some leverage…
    I'll not deny that, and I think it's among some of Trump's best qualities to not just give into them and go away quietly. If he had, then I would think the less of him for doing so as I'm sure that you would as well.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Just to add to this and reiterate a previous point. I'm not suggesting that Trump should just give into them and go away quietly. I've never suggested that he should, nor have I suggested that he shouldn't run again.

If he does win the primary, then I hope that he does go on to win the general election to continue the fight the same way that I would if DeSantis should secure the nomination. It's not about one or the other. My vote in the general election Is about the fight which I happen to believe both of them are capable of doing.

I'm just pleased for once to have two choices who I happen to think are legitimate that I would be comfortable with that have the fight in them to take on the Democrats in the general election.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

On further review, that’s bad logic. If you say you never trust polls it’s inconsistent to say you trust one. If you say you always trust polls and then there’s one you don’t trust, you’re inconsistent. But who does the latter?

Some polls I trust more than other polls. I generally take polls with a grain of salt. They’re not precise. They’re highly subject to bias. But a well executed poll can give some helpful information especially when the incentive to be accurate is high.

And the degree of trust matters too, balanced with the risk. I don’t think I’d bet my house on even the best run polls.

Here’s some polling you might like. Trump gained points on DeSantis’s rollout. So looks like a lot of folks, if you trust the polls, think DeSantis’s rollout did not live up to the hype.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Some polls I trust more than other polls. I generally take polls with a grain of salt. They’re not precise. They’re highly subject to bias. But a well executed poll can give some helpful information especially when the incentive to be accurate is high.
    On this we can agree. Which polls to put more stock in than others is the question.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    While we're on the subject of things a president can't really do:
    Appearing to reference the Twitter Files scandal, DeSantis pledged that any Justice Department employees found to be "collud[ing]" with a tech official to censor information would be immediately fired.

Suspensions of More than 14 Days, Demotions, and Removals

Before an agency imposes a suspension for more than 14 days, a change to lower grade, reduction in pay, or a removal action, an employee is entitled to:
    (1) at least 30 days’ advance written notice, unless there is reasonable cause to believe the employee has committed a crime for which a sentence of imprisonment may be imposed, stating the specific reasons for the proposed action;
    (2) a reasonable time, but not less than 7 days, to answer orally and in writing and to furnish affidavits and other documentary evidence in support of the answer;
    (3) be represented by an attorney or other representative; and
    (4) a written decision and the specific reasons therefor at the earliest practicable date.109

Hmmm. Must have a different definition of 'immediately' than I do. He can fire an appointee at a certain level, but tangling with the rank and file will just make the point again about why Schedule F was/is needed

Survey says! Makes a good sound bite but isn't really practical and will just bog down in court. Same with firing Wray, it won't matter who you put in his place if they don't have the leverage to compel the rank and file to implement the president's priorities

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    At least DeSantis can talk openly about firing Wray now and he's not afraid of saying it. Trump can't because it would sound like he's seeking personal revenge.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom