Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I ordered one of these from Amazon.

1627094245814.png

Gave it a good workout and cut a lot of green and dead locust limbs. The two-way cutting chain saw part seemed to work pretty good. Although it seemed to be dulling after 5-6 hours on and off cutting, throwing dust vs chips in the beginning.

I had trouble with the support hardware. It either didn't work for the application or was cheap and worked poorly. One of the ropes wore to the point of breaking and had to be tied to keep from separating.

I'm not one to buy stuff, use it for the weekend, then return it. This wasn't what I paid for though. I returned it.

I seriously considered keeping it, just for the chain saw part, but again not what I paid for.

You guys got any advice on a better version of this? Or maybe better yet, just the two-way cutting chain part that I can build on with proper support parts.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I use one of these. Great for 2” and under limbs. Good workout on 4” and larger limbs. Thought about the one with a 6” battery chain saw at the end but I’m too cheap and need the exercise!

I only use Amazon for research (Boycott). You can usually find the items from other vendors for the same or lower cost.

Corona-14ft-Tree-Pruner.jpg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I ordered one of these from Amazon.

View attachment 149599

Gave it a good workout and cut a lot of green and dead locust limbs. The two-way cutting chain saw part seemed to work pretty good. Although it seemed to be dulling after 5-6 hours on and off cutting, throwing dust vs chips in the beginning.

I had trouble with the support hardware. It either didn't work for the application or was cheap and worked poorly. One of the ropes wore to the point of breaking and had to be tied to keep from separating.

I'm not one to buy stuff, use it for the weekend, then return it. This wasn't what I paid for though. I returned it.

I seriously considered keeping it, just for the chain saw part, but again not what I paid for.

You guys got any advice on a better version of this? Or maybe better yet, just the two-way cutting chain part that I can build on with proper support parts.[]

Amazon product ASIN B00GMR0MZSI used this for a year. Used harbor freight tie-downs for rope/weight

Worked well for me, but it's work so I ordered pallet forks and a cage for the tractor. It's in my BOB now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Where were you guys years ago, back when we really needed to boycott Amazon?

When they agreed to start charging Indiana sales tax, before it was a legal requirement?

Good for you folks, following your beliefs with your wallet! :yesway: However, we missed this boat a long time ago when Amazon set the presidence to start charging state sales tax on the interwebs. Now it's the law everywhere, because the behemoth allowed it.

We should have boycotted Amazon and raised holly hell with our greedy state governments for allowing this.

There was absolutely no interest in boycotting then, other than me. Now we pay a tax increase that was never agreed to or voted on. Every online purchase we make from any company. :dunno:

Last edited:

looper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2019
    NWI
    I use a lightweight carbon folding saw, I think blade is 7 1/2" good ones from silky, bahco, opinel, corona works well too. I'm planning on getting the smaller opinel for yard and camp etc.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I use a lightweight carbon folding saw, I think blade is 7 1/2" good ones from silky, bahco, opinel, corona works well too. I'm planning on getting the smaller opinel for yard and camp etc.
    Does it have a really long handle on it for reaching branches way up in a tree though?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No, I misunderstood your usage, I was thinking camp/ survival use
    No problem. Thanks for the input. :yesway:

Yes, I need to go higher up in the tree. The locust branches weep really bad and block a lot of needed sunshine and breeze.

I may be a glutton for punishment, but I ordered the "upgraded" version of the same brand saw I had? Looks as if the ropes are tougher nylon and longer?

And strangely, what sold me on trying this other one out? There was a 40% off coupon to attached to the purchase. Brought the price to under twenty bucks. :scratch:

We will see how it goes...

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No problem. Thanks for the input. :yesway:

Yes, I need to go higher up in the tree. The locust branches weep really bad and block a lot of needed sunshine and breeze.

I may be a glutton for punishment, but I ordered the "upgraded" version of the same brand saw I had? Looks as if the ropes are tougher nylon and longer?

And strangely, what sold me on trying this other one out? There was a 40% off coupon to attached to the purchase. Brought the price to under twenty bucks. :scratch:

We will see how it goes...
    Mind posting the link to what you got? I'd be interested! I've got a corded pole chainsaw, but it's a pain. One of my oaks has a couple of dead branches that are too far up for my pole saw (not to mention the PITA of getting out the extension cord, etc.). That rope saw might be perfect. They're only about 3-4" limbs.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Mind posting the link to what you got? I'd be interested! I've got a corded pole chainsaw, but it's a pain. One of my oaks has a couple of dead branches that are too far up for my pole saw (not to mention the PITA of getting out the extension cord, etc.). That rope saw might be perfect. They're only about 3-4" limbs.
    Sure, with the warning that the 40% coupon is now no longer there.

Also, that using these contraptions is quite the workout and can be dangerous. Better have a clear escape path and plan.

Loggers Art Gens Upgrade 48 Inch High Limb Hand Rope Saw with 46 Feet Rope 62 Sharp Teeth Blades on Both Sides - Folding Pocket Chainsaw for Wood-Cutting, Camping, Hunting and Field Survival

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads