• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Any trappers on here? I trapped a beaver out of our lake back in February and now I'm hooked. Just got a dozen footholds for coyotes, a dozen 120s for mink, and a dozen 220s for coon. Plan on setting 4-6 locations this fall/winter. I dont expect it to produce much fur but it will be a new challenge and something to keep me busy.

- what do you trap?
    - private or public ground?
    - how long have you been trapping?
    - what is your favorite critter to trap?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I`ve read a LOT about trapping. Read any book by Bayou Bill Scifres, he did a lot of trapping in his youth, as did a LOT of people from that era. Trapping once was a fundamental tool for the average working guy to make extra money. I fear it`s mostly a lost art, partially because there`s fewer places to ply that trade.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I trapped several muskrat in our pond a couple years ago and similarly was very proud of myself for doing something that I felt was a "dying art". I had plans of trying to trap other species, but I never actually got out to do it. I have nothing but respect for those who are successful at it, because you literally have to know where an animal is going to put their foot.

If you stay with it be sure to keep us updated with stories of your adventures.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Back in the mid 70's I trapped with a friend from school. Raccoons, muskrat were the prize pelts but would snag rabbits (usually just a foot), crows, etc...
    This friend was much more into the art, so he showed me the signs where critters had passed and markings.
    Skinning these critters without ruining the pelt, then stretching the pelts was the most difficult part to me.
    Never made a lot of money but I did enjoy the experience.

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I have been trapping since 1979, started with 1 old trap. I get the itch every fall to run a small trap line. Trapping will teach you more about animal behavior then just about anything else. Good luck this next season

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Muskrats 7-9 dollars.
    a large raccoon 20.
    red fox 40.
    those were 1979 1980 dollars.

30 marsh rats 40 raccoons and 4 fox running traps in 1980.
    figure I had the traps from my father and grandfather strechers and a pack basket got some scents out of the back page of fir fish and game magazine for about 25 dollars and had to pay gas.

I know I bought my rem 870 ruger 10-22 and Winchester 9422 22 mag with trapping money. the 870 was 189 at Kmart the ruger 10-22 (bought during the fall Kmart hunting sale before season was 129 with sling and 4 power scope and BRADIS ordered the 9422 Winchester in 1983 for 259 with 3-9 bushnell scope. ) I have all of These to this day. My crown tube amp and pre amp was also purchased and still works today. All purchased with money from fur sales or in the case of the ruger and 870 purchased by my father for me because I was not old enough to buy myself.
    I bought the 9422 from road kill raccoons in 1983 once I turned 18.

now fur prices not worth the gas money to run the trap line.
    i do some trapping at a small private lake for the owner for fishing rights a couple of rich horse farms pay me to remove coons and ground hogs from the barns. With the coy dogs taking over fox land I shoot the dogs on sight. The fox gets a pass.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Started as a kid in the 60's with my brother before he went to Nam. Grew up trapping lake, creek and swamp muskrats and mink. Then coon and Fox. When I started it was like 50 cents for rats. by around 1980 rats were $8 coon up to 40, mink alwasy ranged around $30 and Red Fox almost $50 with Grey's around $35. Good money before it all fell apart. I bought every trapping book I could find and subscribed to Fur Fish and Game magazine. That was my #1 love. By the end I was using less leg holds and had gone into snaring for Fox. Snaring can be very good, just watch the laws on size of leg holds on land and about snares. I sure miss those days. Picture around 1979 or 80. fullsizeoutput_1a1.jpeg

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My first Red Fox....late in season saw him digging a hole for a mouse. Old trapper said set a trap there he'll be back. Did a #2 double long spring there and got him couple days later. following year made a fake hole dig called a dirt hole set. Died trap, wax paper over pan and covered in dirt in front of hole made to look like a fox was digging for something on a hillside of grass near woods. Caught 7 that same set in one season. This was probably 1974. When there was no coyotes and lots of fox. fullsizeoutput_1a3.jpeg

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Started as a kid in the 60's with my brother before he went to Nam. Grew up trapping lake, creek and swamp muskrats and mink. Then coon and Fox. When I started it was like 50 cents for rats. by around 1980 rats were $8 coon up to 40, mink alwasy ranged around $30 and Red Fox almost $50 with Grey's around $35. Good money before it all fell apart. I bought every trapping book I could find and subscribed to Fur Fish and Game magazine. That was my #1 love. By the end I was using less leg holds and had gone into snaring for Fox. Snaring can be very good, just watch the laws on size of leg holds on land and about snares. I sure miss those days. Picture around 1979 or 80. View attachment 150613
    Those are some great pictures. Im pretty pumped up for this year. Should be lots of fun. I dont really care what the prices are. Besides, no one says you have to sell it all the year its caught. I may sit on some fur for a few years and see if it turns around any. It has before. $20 coons sure beats $5....

Thanks for sharing

Top Bottom