• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I guess since this is the BP forum, this one belongs here too…

A few weeks back I picked up a pair of trapdoors. One is a cut down early model with a really rough bore, missing front sight, locked up firing pin and very loose block. It may be a parts gun or a longer term project…

The other one was still pretty rough, but had a tight action and a decent bore so I figured it was worth some love. The stock had been sanded and varnished and it was starting to peel and flake off. The metal was all covered in a coat of rust, surface for the most part. It ended up being a Cadet Rifle that was made in 1892 and sent to Baylor University in Waco TX. It was missing the rear Buffington sight. It did still have the original sling on it!

I stripped it down and used carb cleaner on the wood to remove the old varnish. Put several coats of boiled linseed oil on it and topped it off with a rub down of a toilet wax ring. The metal got lots of oil and OOOO steel wool. Picked up a rear sight with a pretty close matching patina and installed it.

Next I cast up some 20:1 bullets with my new mold I picked up for my Marlin, a flat nose that drops around 425 gr and .460”. I hand lubed them with a mix of beeswax and olive oil. Loaded those over 68gr of Goex Cartridge powder.

I made it to the range this past weekend and got to shoot it some. Started out at 50 and with a six o’clock hold, was hitting a few inches above the bull with a decent, round group. Not super tight hit with the sights and my eyes, I was happy. Made it over to the 300m range at the end of the day. I was pretty happy to hit a silhouette at 100 with my first shot! Made a few more hits and flipped up the sight to try at 300. I’m pretty sure I hit it a few times, but with the mud and lack of a spotter, I’m not sure exactly where it was hitting. Looking forward to loading up more ammo and getting it back out! I fired 30 rounds through it with zero issues. Not bad for a neglected 130 year old rifle!

Attachments

• 6DC38D0A-DBFA-460E-91D6-11EB5E4EAC27.jpeg
      6DC38D0A-DBFA-460E-91D6-11EB5E4EAC27.jpeg
      155.3 KB · Views: 16
    • 444A3508-5BD6-4CCE-A9EF-14AB25DAF9BB.jpeg
      444A3508-5BD6-4CCE-A9EF-14AB25DAF9BB.jpeg
      178.1 KB · Views: 15
    • 14D1008D-2D1E-42C4-92DC-7C611D31CB39.jpeg
      14D1008D-2D1E-42C4-92DC-7C611D31CB39.jpeg
      148 KB · Views: 15

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I was reading through my brothers field guide to his 1873 he got from my grandfather (he worked at the Quartermasters Depot in Jeffersonville back in the day) and they tested them with the 45/70/500. It seems that those factory loads would penetrate 11 inches of white pine. That info would make you want to consider what kind of tree you hid behind...

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    She cleaned up nice but still needs some blue...
    Nope, leaving the patina as is.
    I read years ago, I think it was in one of Hatcher’s books about them shooting trapdoors on a Jersey beach at a few thousand yards and the bullets still easily penetrating the thick wooden target boards. Mighty impressive! I want to get it on paper so I know right where it’s hitting out to 300. I want to be able to consistently hit the steel at 3!

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I was aiming a few inches under the 100 yard silhouette to hit. I flipped up the Buffington rear sight and set it to 300. It was wet and I was alone, so I couldn’t see my misses to correct.
    also, I’m shooting a 425 gr bullet, so it won’t be dead on to the sights, I’m sure. I’ll probably end up making a taller front sight blade for it if I end up shooting it a lot.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Sweeeeeet!!!! Very nice report! I really love that that old gal is getting some love and respect! Nice shootin' keep it up, and let us see what else that lovely lady has to offer!

Testcase448

Plinker
    Jul 11, 2022
    Indiana
    .....another one, my running buddy of 40some odd years shooting his Trapdoor carbine. Same shoot.
    I missed two one the first Skirmish, didn't miss the rest of the day with the Trapdoor. Even did okay out the windows of Fort Courage, our reproduction F Troop Stage

Top Bottom