Training to prep for Air Force Qualification Course (AFQC)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JasonCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    West Lafayette
    My girlfriend is joining the Air Force and I was wanting to find some training that her and I could go through to help prepare her in qualifying at Basic Military Training (BMT). I also think it would be a fun thing to do together. I was thinking of getting some private lessons from an instructor at a local range but I didn't know if I needed to be careful to make sure what they are teaching is in-line with what the Air Force will want to see as in Grip, Stance, etc. I have no firearms training so not entirely sure what all is involved or if there even different disciplines. I don't want her to have to unlearn something if the Air Force teaches a different method. If all training is pretty much the same then I'm fine with whatever.

She will be qualifying on the M18 and M16. She was told she had to qualify expert on the M16. I have the M18 but I do not have an AR15 setup with the iron sights like the M16. I have been looking at options to setup one of my AR15's to be similar. I think Daniel Defense makes some good Iron Sights that I might get. I'm open to suggestions. I also saw some carry handle rail options but those sell out fast and are usually missing the sight parts.

We are both in the West Lafayette area. Some ranges that pop up on google would be Briggs Core Dynamics, Point Blank in Indy, or Applied Ballistics in Lafayette.
    Would a private instructor at

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I retired from the ANG and spent time as an Instructor So I can get the current course of fire for basic (been 35 years since I went there so its changed) I also am an istructor at a range that can set up something to ease her mind on what to expect.

I will say the BMT course won't be super hard. Its a basic course and the AF does arming categories so Security Forces, TACP, PJs and Combat Control have more intensive quals at their school gouse than most all other career fields.

I know folks without prior programming do better as they teach a their way only mentality.

PM me if your interested

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Typically the boyfriend or husband is the worst person to try to teach a woman how to shoot.

I sent my wife to a class for pistol and then later taught her to shoot a rifle. Having had a basic course taught by someone else really seemed to help.

a class together might not go horribly but ego has to be checked at the door.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Typically the boyfriend or husband is the worst person to try to teach a woman how to shoot.

I sent my wife to a class for pistol and then later taught her to shoot a rifle. Having had a basic course taught by someone else really seemed to help.

a class together might not go horribly but ego has to be checked at the door.
    I have had to "politely and cordially " correct and put in checks a lot of boyfriends/husbands. Either for egos or antiquated thought processes when it came to firearms and or Use of Force issues.

I mean most significant others won't believe you to tell them if an outfit looks good let alone anything else! LOL

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Unless she is choosing a combat type AFSC like mentioned above, the time spent on range with firearms is very little at BMT.

She would be better off boning up on the things that will help her get through it better.

Like eating fast. And don't ever get the cake! It's only for officers and they won't tell you, lol. Don't ever laugh either.

Practice tucking in shirts so they don't blouse.

And invest time in physical training; gym workouts, running, calisthenics, pugil stick fighting with your boyfriend.

Cut your hair very short before going in. It will make the haircut less painful if you have to get one.

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    Unless she is choosing a combat type AFSC like mentioned above, the time spent on range with firearms is very little at BMT.

I come from the Army side of the house but Basic is Basic, I would teach her to disassemble a Ar-15 or M-4 clone in 4 minutes or less ask an Army or Marine vet how to do that or find it on the net, trigger drills, steady hold practice, name the parts of the weapon and how to safe the rifle. While these things might not be USAF standard, it will teach her to take a hands-on type test.
    She would be better off boning up on the things that will help her get through it better.

Like eating fast. And don't ever get the cake! It's only for officers and they won't tell you, lol. Don't ever laugh either.
    In OCS you had 8 minutes to inhale your chow and get your butt out the door and yes you are watched and timed. Once you get into other training or your unit you can eat like humans there. Also eat all that you take. do not show up at the dirty dish turn in with extra food you will get rid of it while being told about wasting food.
    Practice tucking in shirts so they don't blouse.
    also ropes from new clothing
    And invest time in physical training; gym workouts, running, calisthenics, pugil stick fighting with your boyfriend.
    I would work on running at least an 8 minute mile, work on guy type push-ups, set-ups, weights aren't a bad idea. Find out what the USAF has in way of a PT test. That kicked out some of my lads in basic and the Drill worked they had to pass but they didn't or could pass the test.
    Cut your hair very short before going in. It will make the haircut less painful if you have to get one.
    and make sure 30 days or more that you are not around any ah "recreational drugs" because it is still a no-no with Uncle Sam and they will discharge you with a positive **** test. Don't take anything that isn't listed in your travel instructions, I went to basic with just a shaving kit and a toothbrush. They will shake you down.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    and make sure 30 days or more that you are not around any ah "recreational drugs" because it is still a no-no with Uncle Sam and they will discharge you with a positive **** test. Don't take anything that isn't listed in your travel instructions, I went to basic with just a shaving kit and a toothbrush. They will shake you down.
    And dont be a doofus and think "laundry powder is lighter than liquid" when you have to buy when you get there. Because when the DIs have you hold your duffle (with the opened, non resealable box of laundry powder inside) and tell you to dump everything on the ground, you're going to have DIs swarming you for making a mess of their parade grounds. LOL

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They'll actually have people there to teach her, and it'll probably be easier to teach a blank slate then someone who now thinks they have some idea.

If AF basic is anything like Army basic, start running. A lot.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    They'll actually have people there to teach her, and it'll probably be easier to teach a blank slate then someone who now thinks they have some idea.

If AF basic is anything like Army basic, start running. A lot.
    I agree about the blank slate.

As for the running, I didn't find the running or any of the physical requirements of Army Infantry basic very difficult, except for forced marching. My flat feet probably didn't help that. Now when we got to our duty station, the running became a real pain.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Yes I would put firearms training as last on the list of things to do before going to Air Force basic military training. And if she hasn’t already been into guns then possibly the only thing she should learn before going are trigger and muzzle discipline. The TI’s may or may not like her shooting ability, but they will definitely not like her treating a pistol or a rifle like a toy.

proper attitude is important, but it’s hard to maintain a positive attitude if you are sucking wind. So fornow put physical training first, and if she has any extra pounds, lose them. Don’t PT so hard she gets hurt, but daily calisthenics, running, and lots of walking. Been a while since I drove through Lackland, but pretty sure they still march to most places, And it’s big place. It’s also really hot and humid in summertime, which runs from March to November or so.

She should be ready to “keep busy“ for hours and days at a stretch. military schools are amazing in their ability to have every minute of the day plotted out with something to do, and she will probably be boggled when she feels like she’s been there a month already and then she realizes it’s only been the first week.

She should keep in mind that thousands of men and women have accomplished basic military training, and no matter how bad any one day seems, it will be over and she will be glad that she did it.

Best wishes to her.

p.s. She should be ready to do everything as a flight, a team, even if she doesn’t like anyone else in her unit. She will not make it through by her self, everything is designed to make trainees rely on each other, from making beds to crossing the street. There’s never enough time to do everything by yourself.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes I would put firearms training as last on the list of things to do before going to Air Force basic military training. And if she hasn’t already been into guns then possibly the only thing she should learn before going are trigger and muzzle discipline. The TI’s may or may not like her shooting ability, but they will definitely not like her treating a pistol or a rifle like a toy.

proper attitude is important, but it’s hard to maintain a positive attitude if you are sucking wind. So fornow put physical training first, and if she has any extra pounds, lose them. Don’t PT so hard she gets hurt, but daily calisthenics, running, and lots of walking. Been a while since I drove through Lackland, but pretty sure they still march to most places, And it’s big place. It’s also really hot and humid in summertime, which runs from March to November or so.

She should be ready to “keep busy“ for hours and days at a stretch. military schools are amazing in their ability to have every minute of the day plotted out with something to do, and she will probably be boggled when she feels like she’s been there a month already and then she realizes it’s only been the first week.

She should keep in mind that thousands of men and women have accomplished basic military training, and no matter how bad any one day seems, it will be over and she will be glad that she did it.

Best wishes to her.

p.s. She should be ready to do everything as a flight, a team, even if she doesn’t like anyone else in her unit. She will not make it through by her self, everything is designed to make trainees rely on each other, from making beds to crossing the street. There’s never enough time to do everything by yourself.
    Alamo, excellent information. Every bit of this. My son had never shot an AR15 prior to enlistment. He can tear one down faster and put it back together than I can even with practice. But I can outshoot him. He actually got a kinda bum rap (which is par for the course in BMT, lol). He had to qualify on a day when it was 104 and had to wear his gas mask. It was not a good combo.

His flight was one of the flights that were undertrained. His particular time, 10 years ago starting on July 5th was so hot they were constantly "black flagging" them due to extreme heat. Because of that they just couldn't replicate the training indoors that they would have received outdoors. He kinda wanted to do it again when it was cooler!

I gave my son the same mantra that was passed down in our family of military; "remember son, it's just a game." The TI's are playing a game.

He reminded himself of that often during the 8-9 weeks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I gave my son the same mantra that was passed down in our family of military; "remember son, it's just a game." The TI's are playing a game.
    I was skimming and read I gave my son the same marijuana that was passed down...

I thought "gee, that isnt going to fly with the **** test... " :):

JasonCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    West Lafayette
    Thanks for all the info. I agree it sounds like her being a blank slate going in might be the best. I try to have no ego when it comes to firearms as I wasn't trained, and she'll most likely end up out shooting me but she currently does not like shooting my AR's lol. She said she likes my ar10 but I think that's because she knows I put too much money in it.

I was really looking forward to spending time with her on a range so I might try some foundational stuff with her after looking up the videos suggested on here. She's trying to leave for BMT around February.

Her recruiter told her she needs to loose some weight and we've been hitting the gym lately but I need to convince her that high intensity workouts are better than weight lifting for her goals. We have the Purdue Mini coming up as well as a Spartan Sprint to train for.

Top Bottom